Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Just right click on one of the .mobi files, click on "open with" then "choose default program". If necessary, browse to the reader.exe file and select it as the default. Now all your mobi files will open the MobiPocket Reader.
If you have any .prc files you'll need to do them as well, separately from the .mobi's.

While it's not a huge deal it would have been nice if they asked during the install or initial startup if folks wanted to change their file associations.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #47
avid
Enthusiast
avid has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Palm TX, Ebookwise 1150, Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
My guess is that "kindle.info" is the PID, but it's been hashed all to hell and gone to encrypt it, thereby expanding it a hundredfold or so. Anyone want to go through "Numerical Recipes" and try and find the method used? I'll bet it's in there.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
I just tried the kindlepid.py on the entire string in the kindle.info file - it did return a 10 digit alpha-numeric string - but when I tried to run the dedrm python script on it an error returned - invalid file format. And that about does it for my knowledge to try to find the PID.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #48
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I just tried the kindlepid.py on the entire string in the kindle.info file - it did return a 10 digit alpha-numeric string - but when I tried to run the dedrm python script on it an error returned - invalid file format. And that about does it for my knowledge to try to find the PID.
Was the file you tried it on a topaz file?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #49
avid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Was the file you tried it on a topaz file?
No - it was one of their free books, .prc file.
I would really use the Amazon site for books if I could read them on the Cybook. But I am not programming literate enough to know what to try next.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #50
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not positive on this, but I think some of their free books don't have DRM; so that could have generated that error too. I did a quick Google for that error message and got that it's usually because the file is .tpz. Got me - my knowledge is exhausted too.
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #51
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
No - it was one of their free books, .prc file.
I would really use the Amazon site for books if I could read them on the Cybook. But I am not programming literate enough to know what to try next.
hmmmm? PRC? that's not an Amazon filetype format is it? it should be amz or tpz.

I too have gotten that format error when it was a non-drm file.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #52
avid
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
hmmmm? PRC? that's not an Amazon filetype format is it? it should be amz or tpz.

I too have gotten that format error when it was a non-drm file.
It must have DRM - I guess - as it will not open in Mobipocket reader. The file is listed as .prc - with a 1kb file next to it with the same name, but .mbp.
And as it is the only file I have ever gotten from Amazon, I have no experience of their file formats.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So has anyone with Kindle for PC and a Kindle tried downloading an eBook (with DRM) with Kindle for PC and then (via USB) loading the book onto the Kindle to find out if it is viewable? If not, will someone please do so so we can find out? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #54
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So has anyone with Kindle for PC and a Kindle tried downloading an eBook (with DRM) with Kindle for PC and then (via USB) loading the book onto the Kindle to find out if it is viewable? If not, will someone please do so so we can find out? Thanks.
I don't think that would work. I can't check it since I don't have a Kindle. However, my understanding of the Amazon DRM system is that each download is targeted for a specific device with unique encoding for that device via the device PID. Therefore, even if one has a both Kindle and a PC on ones Amazon account, a book downloaded for the PC (PC PID) may be transferred to the Kindle, but will not be readable. However, the same book may be downloaded to the Kindle (Kindle PID), and would be readable. Amazon allows up to six devices to be registered on each account.
We know what the Kindle PID is and how it is computed. What we don't know, as yet, is what is used for computing the PC PID.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #55
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does not work. Get an error stating "This selection cannot be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, you can try redownloading the item from Archived items in Home.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #56
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
It must have DRM - I guess - as it will not open in Mobipocket reader. The file is listed as .prc - with a 1kb file next to it with the same name, but .mbp.
And as it is the only file I have ever gotten from Amazon, I have no experience of their file formats.
Kindle for PC seems to be like Kindle for iPod Touch - everything you download will have the .prc file extension but they are still .azw or .tpz or .azw1. .azw will convert, but the others are topaz and won't. Maybe now there will be enough demand that the hackers will break topaz.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #57
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
Amazon allows up to six devices to be registered on each account.
Sorry but this is a myth (please see the Kindle Myth wiki). You may have as many Kindles or Kindle book reading devices as you like registered to one account. You may only *share* books on up to 6 devices (sometimes less depending on the book license).

I now have 7 devices registered to my account.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 kindles.PNG
Views:	243
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	38877  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #58
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Sorry but this is a myth (please see the Kindle Myth wiki). You may have as many Kindles or Kindle book reading devices as you like registered to one account. You may only *share* books on up to 6 devices (sometimes less depending on the book license).

OK. How does Amazon determine which of the devices qualify for *sharing*?
Is there some way to tell from the Account page that you have exceeded your quota of six (or less) share devices for a particular book? If it's the first six to be registered, how can you tell which was registered last, and therefore can't share?
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #59
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Dang Duck..........do you have enough laptops?

Hows the Asus working for you? I'm still loving mine!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #60
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Dang Duck..........do you have enough laptops?

Hows the Asus working for you? I'm still loving mine!
Guess laptops are like water off the back of a duck.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote