Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
It's just a wiring difference between displayport and HDMI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
Could that adapter be small enough to fit in the Nook cable?
It looks pretty small to me.
Either way, it would just B&N to be given a standard solution (and a bragging point) by the engineers and turn it into a negative by obscuring it in the hope of making an extra buck.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #32
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
I'm pretty sure it would fit given that it's a passive adapter. However I believe you are probably correct that opportunity to *eff up* another standard is just too tempting for most corporations.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
I'm pretty sure it would fit given that it's a passive adapter. However I believe you are probably correct that opportunity to *eff up* another standard is just too tempting for most corporations.
Gotta make that extra buck selling cables, even if it means losing tablet sales.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #34
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Works for Apple --- but not a good idea when you are already having problems moving devices. People might decide not to buy your stuff because of such things.
I would be exactly such a person (sorry about the grammer). If I'd spotted the daft cable before I bought the HD+ I would certainly not have bought it.

There are threads on several boards from people who have tried different plugs/cables that physically fit the 30pin socket but none will work and charge the device. I wouldn't even be willing to try a cable without knowing in advance that it worked.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #35
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I would be exactly such a person (sorry about the grammer). If I'd spotted the daft cable before I bought the HD+ I would certainly not have bought it.

There are threads on several boards from people who have tried different plugs/cables that physically fit the 30pin socket but none will work and charge the device. I wouldn't even be willing to try a cable without knowing in advance that it worked.
I didn't realise about the cable either, certainly not that there were no third party copies available. I was all set to return it to the retailer if I hadn't beenn able to get a spare immediatly.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #36
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Hmm, so is there any indication yet whether B&N is going to release new devices (of any sort) this year?
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
Hmm, so is there any indication yet whether B&N is going to release new devices (of any sort) this year?
Flip a coin.
They've said no, they've said yes--they've said tablet only, they've said eink owners buy more ebooks...

Here:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ing-word-plan/

I'm going to wait and see, myself, but I'm not going to hold my breath while waiting...
Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #38
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
I seriously doubt it, they barely have enough money to stay open let alone have money to invest in a new device.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #39
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
It is ironic, looking at the Nook UK website, it is far better. Simpler and fast. The main Nook (or B&N for that matter) over here in the USA is a pain in the backside by comparison. While the actual layout is ok (although could be better), it is sooooo much slooooower.
DBDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #40
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Yes I didn't realize they had a 30pin connector until just recently. I always assumed they had the USB connection all nooks have had.

I have heard that some cables will charge the device but not fast charge it. Apparently B&N did a different pin out to tell it that fast charging is possible. Which doesn't surpries me, they did the same with Nook Color and Nook Tablet. The USB end that plugged into the device was slightly longer. You could use a standard USB cable, but it just wouldn't fast charge. And if you tried to use the device while plugged in with a standard cable, you would discharge it faster than you could charge it lol.

Edit:
And now I see that others say the connector is even different from Apple's and won't even fit. *shrugs* no idea. I don't have both devices here so I can't say here with any certainty..

Last edited by DBDigital; 09-13-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #41
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is a good thread with loads of testing going on.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2054746

Bottom line, other chargers can work. Other cables don't.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #42
DBDigital
Connoisseur

Quote:
This is a good thread with loads of testing going on.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2054746

Bottom line, other chargers can work. Other cables don't.
Ironically that is the thread I was just looking at lol.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #43
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBDigital View Post
It is ironic, looking at the Nook UK website, it is far better. Simpler and fast. The main Nook (or B&N for that matter) over here in the USA is a pain in the backside by comparison. While the actual layout is ok (although could be better), it is sooooo much slooooower.
Would this be the UK Nook website I'm looking at? The one that doesn't allow you to download or read your books?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Would this be the UK Nook website I'm looking at? The one that doesn't allow you to download or read your books?
I was a bit surprised by that comment too. The UK site might be quicker than the US one, (I don't know), but I have about 1400 books in my nook UK account, and the UK web site shows me under 50 of them....
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #45
banjomike
Addict

I'm a bit puzzled by all of you. If I login to my nook homepage I end up on:
https://mynook.barnesandnoble.com/home.html
which looks suspiciously like the US site (prices in dollars, can't spell 'colour' etc). Or am I misreading what you are all talking about?