Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Next-gen Kindle Paperwhite previewed by Time mag

Time magazine editor Harry McCracken had a chance to give the new Kindle Paperwhite V2 a spin. His verdict: that it's an "ultra-refined version of what was already the most refined product in its category."

On the hardware side, McCracken experienced that the built-in light works indeed better than in the previous Paperwhite, without the unevenness of the light along the bottom edge of the screen. He cites Amazon saying that the flashing effect while flipping pages is reduced to "as rarely as once per chapter". Unfortunately he doesn't say whether he can confirm this statement in his hands-on test. He does confirm though that the touch screen is more responsive when opening books, turning pages, and performing other touch tasks.

Software-wise, he mentions what we've already learned, the Smart Lookup via X-Ray feature allowing you to learn more about the books that you are reading, the Vocabulary Builder that lets you review previously looked-up words, and the new Kindle Page Flip, easing the process of skimming through the book:

Quote:
A neat new navigational option lets you scrub backwards and forwards in a book to see other pages without leaving the one you’re on. That’s the closest thing I’ve seen yet to a digital equivalent of one of the most pleasing things about paper publications: how easily they let you flip back and forth between two places. Footnotes also pop up in place now on the page they reference rather than forcing you to bop around.
What's not yet available in the current firmware is the Kindle FreeTime feature, allowing extra restricted profiles for your kids, and the GoodReads integration. Both features McCracken said are aimed to become available in a firmware upgrade by Thanksgiving.

Owners of the first Paperwhite can rejoice, as at least some of the new software features may come to your device as well:

Quote:
And current Paperwhite owners who do covet the new model’s goodies may eventually get some of them: Amazon says that it hopes to release a software update for the original model, giving it new features that aren’t contingent on the latest model’s upgraded hardware and faster processor.
Related: All-New Kindle Paperwhite V2 (accidentally) unveiled. So what's all new?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I positively despise that article. I love my current original flavor Paperwhite and have for the past couple of days been firm in my resolve to avoid my normal practice of updating to the latest and greatest Kindle version, but that article is not helping my resolve. How dare this Harry McCracken fellow write an article for Time magazine entitled "Hands On: Amazon’s New Kindle Paperwhite Is a Really, Really Refined E-Reader: A great e-reader for serious readers is getting just a little bit better still." How dare he claim that—unlike the original Paperwhite—he couldn't detect any unevenness in the lighting?

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-05-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: a type o' typo.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
His verdict: that it's an "ultra-refined version of what was already the most refined product in its category."

The guy is a fanboy. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing this, but to say that the original Paperwhite was the most refined eReader is really pushing it.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I did find this statement interesting:
Quote:
[C]urrent Paperwhite owners who do covet the new model’s goodies may eventually get some of them: Amazon says that it hopes to release a software update for the original model, giving it new features that aren’t contingent on the latest model’s upgraded hardware and faster processor.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
His verdict: that it's an "ultra-refined version of what was already the most refined product in its category."

The guy is a fanboy. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing this, but to say that the original Paperwhite was the most refined eReader is really pushing it.
I don't know that it was, but what reader would you have given the title too? Just curious.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
'Pro' reviews cannot be trusted. Not one 'pro' review of the PW1 prior to release high-lighted the faults with the screen-lighting tech. I suppose it's possible amazon ensured they all received flawless examples. I don't know. Either way, I don't trust 'pro' reviews. I look forward to hearing real user reviews and will withhold judgement till then.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't know that it was, but what reader would you have given the title too? Just curious.
There is no single one. Kobo lighting is better than PW lighting. PW interface is better than Kobo interface. Nook is dying(?) and Sony has lost relevance.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
There is no single one. Kobo lighting is better than PW lighting. PW interface is better than Kobo interface. Nook is dying(?) and Sony has lost relevance.
True. Now it's a pity we can't get the designers all in a room together, think what coud be achieved.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
'Pro' reviews cannot be trusted. Not one 'pro' review of the PW1 prior to release high-lighted the faults with the screen-lighting tech. I suppose it's possible amazon ensured they all received flawless examples. I don't know. Either way, I don't trust 'pro' reviews. I look forward to hearing real user reviews and will withhold judgement till then.
Me either! For one thing they rarely know much about the products they review. For another they tend to gush and restate the official statements from the manufacturer as though those statements are true. If Amazon says it is "whiter than white and blacker than black" you will see that reiterated by the reviewer even when they don't know what it means. I often wonder if these kind of reviews are designed to get a payoff from the manufacturer. They often sound like they were scripted by the manufacturer. Actually they are, they just read the manufacturer's release statement then repeat its main points! Totally useless IMO.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
True. Now it's a pity we can't get the designers all in a room together, think what coud be achieved.
Too true - if we could combine the even lightning technology of Kobo, not to mention the SD card slot, with the PaperWhite software & screen .... sigh ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
I'm going to wait for reader reviews, too - but only a handful of users had problems with PWs; mine has always been flawless.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've just got my hands on a second hand but perfect Sony PRS 650, in a official lighted cover. Now for an ereader that came out in 2010 it's beautiful, I'd forgotten how lovely it was. The screen isn't as good as the newer readers obviously but its sad to think what Sony could have produced by now if they had stayed with the x50 series and added a front light.

Hubby called it the Porsche of ereaders, old, distinguished and gorgeous.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I've just got my hands on a second hand but perfect Sony PRS 650, in a official lighted cover. Now for an ereader that came out in 2010 it's beautiful, I'd forgotten how lovely it was. The screen isn't as good as the newer readers obviously but its sad to think what Sony could have produced by now if they had stayed with the x50 series and added a front light.

Their x50 line was really good as far as hardware. FW and syncing was lacking. I wish I had kept my 950. I really miss being able to read in landscape using two columns on that 7" screen. Unfortunately the 7" screens never caught on well enough for Amazon or Nook to build one. The only real issue was with the IR touchscreen that would go nuts if anything touched it. Occasionally my shirt tail would make contact and I would lose my place in the book as it rapidly paged forward or backward dozens of pages!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:

I agree. I thought the 650 with the lighted cover was *the* most beautiful little reader around at the time. I wish Sony would get serious about what they can do so well.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I love my PW and I will be upgrading as my bad vision appreciates even incremental screen upgrades. I probably read on average 2 hours a day. I've tried other eInk readers but I always come back to the Kindle.

I'm doing the happy dance!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote