Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #2191
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
E-ink reader technology is getting to a point were the differences are diminishing in nature. When Kobo comes out with a Carta screen the difference will be narrowed. While I love the Kindle and the Amazon environment, many power users will be able to balance the plus and minuses in each system without sacrificing book source. More casual users will here complaints from reviewers and power users and may rely on them in making their own buying decisions. Ultimately Amazon should pay attention to these concerns. Personally, I once loved my Sony reader. I then loved my Kindle. If the Kindle platform negatives ever outweigh the positives for me I will look at other alternatives. Already, the last upgrade has had me studying options in case that it signals a less open platform.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #2192
jgsmith
Connoisseur
jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgsmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW2
What is it about 5.4.2 that has people going back to 5.4.0? I'm on 5.4.2, but other than the goodreads integration, I haven't noticed a difference.
jgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #2193
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsmith View Post
What is it about 5.4.2 that has people going back to 5.4.0? I'm on 5.4.2, but other than the goodreads integration, I haven't noticed a difference.
Collections. Its behaviour can be irksome if you've created a lot of collections in the past that you no longer want. 5.4.2 will pull them all back from the Cloud.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #2194
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Since this is an impressions thread for the new paperwhite 2, then let me express my feelings about my newly acquired paperwhite 2:

INCREDIBLE!

There. I feel so much better now. Could someone pass the pepper, please?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #2195
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Passes a cup of Kool Aide.

I figured that is really what you wanted. Enjoy!
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #2196
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moving collections to the Cloud is another step in the same direction, allowing people to easily share their collections between devices. Sure, the current implementation of it has issues, but long-term it's a sensible move.
Until Amazon provides software to allow one to manage their media outside of the cloud (as Apple did with ITunes), this is simply 'closing' their market and is in no way looking out for the consumer. I am a big fan of Amazon's customer service in general and Kindles in particular, but locking out externally developed software without providing an alternative is not an altruistic move on their part.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #2197
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: KT, PW2, KO2
Hey guys.

First of all, merry Christmas

Unfortunatelz, I'm really frustrated right now
Got the PW2 for christmas and loved it, until I sendloaded (sent to my kindle email adress) some personal documents onto the PW2.
When I add the new book to a collection, I sometimes get the error that I added contents that will not be synced with the cloud.
I tried it out in a lot of variations, it does't work.
On my old K Touch, it worked fine so far.

Did I overlook anything?? Is it the firmware 5.4.2 causing this error? Did Amazon change their policy regarding personal documents??
JFHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #2198
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHey View Post
Hey guys.

First of all, merry Christmas

Unfortunatelz, I'm really frustrated right now
Got the PW2 for christmas and loved it, until I sendloaded (sent to my kindle email adress) some personal documents onto the PW2.
When I add the new book to a collection, I sometimes get the error that I added contents that will not be synced with the cloud.
I tried it out in a lot of variations, it does't work.
On my old K Touch, it worked fine so far.

Did I overlook anything?? Is it the firmware 5.4.2 causing this error? Did Amazon change their policy regarding personal documents??
As far as I know, this is a new problem.

Yeesh!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #2199
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
So you downloaded your personal docs from your cloud and you are still getting that message?? Yes that one is new, and you should not be getting that if the books are in your cloud.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #2200
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: KT, PW2, KO2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
So you downloaded your personal docs from your cloud and you are still getting that message?? Yes that one is new, and you should not be getting that if the books are in your cloud.
exactly like that.
I have no idea where that issue comes from, but a workaround that worked for me now is importing that book into calibre, letting calibre change the metadata automatically, exporting it into the PW2 mobi-format and sending it to the cloud again.

OT: my device had glowing pixels, and the replacement device which I got today too
let's try again, amazon!
Besides these issues, I'm very happy with that thing
JFHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #2201
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Agreed there should be no need for a reader to be hooked up to wifi all the time.

When I add a book to collections, it should just add it and not bug me about wifi. I hook up to wifi when I want to download a book I have bought/borrowed, and I would expect everything that needs to sync would do so at that time.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #2202
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Agreed there should be no need for a reader to be hooked up to wifi all the time.

When I add a book to collections, it should just add it and not bug me about wifi. I hook up to wifi when I want to download a book I have bought/borrowed, and I would expect everything that needs to sync would do so at that time.
EXACTLY!!
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #2203
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Nothing to be worried about. Looks completely normal. Enjoy your Kindle!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #2204
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I agree with Gazella--nothing to worry about. Set the brightness on your Kindle to what is comfortable for you to read (for me it's between 9-12 in a completely dark room). Then if there is something about the screen that really bothers you, get a hold of Amazon for a replacement. But, based on the pictures you posted, I think you got a really good Kindle.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #2205
Skittels
Skittels began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505/lc
Coming from a Sony prs505 with a dying battery it is a nice nice improvement, I am used to calibre so that was no issue, ok some purchased books were, but got replacements for those...
Got calibre so far to include the series in the book title and manually created collections on the kindle and put the side loaded books in them, works. Hmmm they even appear in the cloud... So far the only thing I can not get to work without hacking is creating collections automagically, ok and I still miss a couple of buttons, but in the end it will be more than ok and I will be more than happy.
Skittels is offline   Reply With Quote