Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #406
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I was using size 5 when it happened. So I don't think that's it.
Oops. There goes my theory
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #407
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Maybe we can blame the non-existant hyphenation algorithm. Maybe the justification algorithm thinks it looks better to cram words together rather than creating too much whitespace.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #408
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Maybe we can blame the non-existant hyphenation algorithm. Maybe the justification algorithm thinks it looks better to cram words together rather than creating too much whitespace.
Possible.. next time is happens I'll take notice.

I have after 3 hours of wading through so much jumble info extracted the PW fonts using KindleTool and few other programs. Wow that was fun! I learned alot. Now I have true copies of PW fonts I can modified them to my heart's content. I now have a true PW version of Condensed Caecilia! I is happy!

Now I must get some sleep!

Edit:
Who needs sleep? I can now use Palatino! I made a Medium version of the font. I am learning the terms. It looks so much better!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PalatinoMed.png
Views:	291
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	100536  

Last edited by Blossom; 02-02-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #409
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Has the line spacing decreased on this version of Palatino? It sure looks like it.

I've noticed that I've been reading with far bigger fonts than necessary on the PW. Many of my paperbacks use a font comparable to (my) DejaVu Serif on size 2, line spacing 3. (Yes, I counted and measured it.) I can read that well enough (in the book) despite my poor eyesight. On the Touch, everything below size 4 became unreadable because the darkness of the screen compared to a book, in most lightning conditions.

On the Paperwhite however, with the light boosted to 10 so the screen matchs the paperback in brightness, I can read DejaVu Serif size 2, spacing 3 without problems. I never tried anything smaller than 4 on the Touch.

In addition, I've found that I like to have more spacing when using smaller fonts, or I'll lose my line when reading. On size 2, I like spacing 3. On size 3, I can get away with spacing 2. And on size 4, I can use spacing 1. Actually, size 3 spacing 2 fits more characters per page than size 2 spacing 3 (1584 vs. 1530), while the fonts are larger I like that trade.

I think that DejaVu Serif size 3 spacing 2 (1584 c/p) is slowly replacing Caecilia size 4 spacing 1 (1305 c/p), and I've used DejaVu Serif size 4 spacing 1 (1429 c/p) as an intermediate step.

I'll post some screenshots later, and also try JSWolf's requested comparison between Charis SIL Compact size 3 spacing 1 vs. Caecilia size 3 spacing 1 using a KF8 book.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-02-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #410
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Possible.. next time is happens I'll take notice.

I have after 3 hours of wading through so much jumble info extracted the PW fonts using KindleTool and few other programs. Wow that was fun! I learned alot. Now I have true copies of PW fonts I can modified them to my heart's content. I now have a true PW version of Condensed Caecilia! I is happy!

Now I must get some sleep!

Edit:
Who needs sleep? I can now use Palatino! I made a Medium version of the font. I am learning the terms. It looks so much better!
Nice work, Blossom! I think Amazon should hire you so we can have better looking fonts on the Kindle.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #411
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
I can now use Palatino! I made a Medium version of the font. I am learning the terms. It looks so much better!
That looks really nice
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #412
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Nice work, Blossom! I think Amazon should hire you so we can have better looking fonts on the Kindle.
Thanks. I do know why it shows up so thin. Amazon could fix it. The line spacing issue is also on all extracted fonts. Amazon must use a settings file for default fonts that increase line spacing because they are more tight from the actual font file. I've yet to figure out how to fix this on mobi books.

I'm still surprise to find there is no real version of Condensed Caecilia. There is a Condensed Caecilia font file but it's identical inside of the regular Caecilia font....

I think I'm going to scale Palatino down a bit. It's too wide.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #413
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
It's great blossom, you are an artist :-)
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #414
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
It's great blossom, you are an artist :-)
Nah not a artist. Anyone can do it. It's all auto. You just need the right tools. A real font creator like my hubby does it all by hand. He's the artist in the family. I'm the techie.

I will say I am almost happy with my fonts so I can spend more time reading!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #415
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blossom, I'm curious what fonts you are using now?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #416
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Blossom, I'm curious what fonts you are using now?
I've got a nice collection of readable fonts!
I'm still tweaking Caecilia and Palatino but almost there!
  1. Caecilia (Resized a bit and weight added)
  2. Condensed Caecilia (This is regular Caecilia downsize by 5% and weight added)
  3. Amasis Medium (a little bit of weight)
  4. Condensed Amasis (Resized)
  5. Gentium Book Basic (Resize up by 5%)
  6. Charis SIL (Weight Added)
  7. Palatino Medium (Resized and weight added)
  8. Trebuchet Medium (weight added)
  9. Nokia Pure (weight added)
  10. TheSans Semibold (Thesis Sans)

Now unless someone posts a screenshot of a font on their Kindle I have no need to change. Fonts I tried but removed were Segoe, Georgia, Garamond, Palatino Nova, Calson, Gentium Basic and Fontin.

I'd probably keep Fontin if I had another slot but priorities, priorities....
Old 02-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #417
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've noticed that I've been reading with far bigger fonts than necessary on the PW.
Might have something to do with the increased resolution as well not only the light. The 600x800 6" screens only had 167 dpi, while the PW with the 758x1024 has 212 dpi.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #418
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Might have something to do with the increased resolution as well not only the light. The 600x800 6" screens only had 167 dpi, while the PW with the 758x1024 has 212 dpi.
I think it has to do with font size difference between older Kindles and the PW. Size 4 is too small for me on most fonts. It was the size I use on my other Kindles including the Kindle Fire. Amazon needs to fix the font sizes the jump between sizes is really horrible compared to previous Kindles. I've been resizing fonts just to get the right size for me.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #419
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
I've got a nice collection of readable fonts!
I'm still tweaking Caecilia and Palatino but almost there!
  1. Caecilia (Resized a bit and weight added)
  2. Condensed Caecilia (This is regular Caecilia downsize by 5% and weight added)
  3. Amasis Medium (a little bit of weight)
  4. Condensed Amasis (Resized)
  5. Gentium Book Basic (Resize up by 5%)
  6. Charis SIL (Weight Added)
  7. Palatino Medium (Resized and weight added)
  8. Trebuchet Medium (weight added)
  9. Nokia Pure (weight added)
  10. TheSans Semibold (Thesis Sans)

Now unless someone posts a screenshot of a font on their Kindle I have no need to change. Fonts I tried but removed were Segoe, Georgia, Garamond, Palatino Nova, Calson, Gentium Basic and Fontin.

I'd probably keep Fontin if I had another slot but priorities, priorities....
Very nice! I'm jealous of your font editing abilities! I agree to about the jump between font sizes. I find that really annoying too. It's much better on my other kindles.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #420
astmario
Connoisseur
astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astmario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Blossom upload those edited fonts for rest of us somewhere please
astmario is offline   Reply With Quote