Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Paperwhite and Touch FW?

Has anyone been ballsy enough to try and flash the paperwhite firmware with the touch? The dev corner discovered that 5.1.2 had flags in there for the light and higher PPI.

While I know I can't get the lights, and probably couldnt get the higher res, I really want the book cover display instead of listview
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
acalva
acalva began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
why not use ixtab jbpatch?
acalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jaxx6166: the Cover View mode is already one of the many features of ixtab's excellent JBPatch.

EDIT: Burned.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm still expecting the Touch to get a new official FW at some point that adds one or more features that are on the PW - estimated reading time being the most likely feature added.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The Kindle Touch will almost certainly get an update, to add Whispersync for Voice support to the audiobook player and add fixed-layout support.

And it should be able to handle all of the new KPW features except for the new fonts. I like the UI tweaks to the Home screen (device|cloud) and the way all of the reading options are now up at the top of the screen where you tap to bring them up. It is silly to have options display at the bottom of the screen as on KT right now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jaxx6166: the Cover View mode is already one of the many features of ixtab's excellent JBPatch.

EDIT: Burned.
NiLuJe,

Will the JBPatch work on the Kindle PW? If not, do you know if efforts are underway to update the various hacks for the PW (i.e. JBPatch, Collections Manager, etc...)? The Kindle PW firmware is version 5.2, FWIW.

Right now I'm manually adding my 400+ books to collections on my PW as it appears that there's no workable Collections plugin for the Touch/PW. To be honest, trying to figure out exactly what hacks I would need for the PW has been very confusing to this non-hacker!

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
And it should be able to handle all of the new KPW features except for the new fonts. [...]
Huh? How do you know that? I would have thought that the fonts would the easiest part to get over to the KT.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Huh? How do you know that? I would have thought that the fonts would the easiest part to get over to the KT.
Problem might be, they have been modified slightly to look good on the new resolution: something that would definitely need to be done to make them look good on the old one... Or at least that's what i assume from having several different fonts from the unofficial font upgrade on my Touch, and they all look flimsy in smaller sizes...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

I really don't care for the cover view on the PW. You only get one row with three covers for books. The second row of four covers is for popular/recommended books. Ads in other words. Having only room for three covers on the Home page means a heck of a lot of scrolling. I switched to List View which gets rid of the popular/recommended books and works much better if you use Collections. If they would allow eight covers per page it would be good, but three just wasn't that useful.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I really don't care for the cover view on the PW. You only get one row with three covers for books. The second row of four covers is for popular/recommended books. Ads in other words. Having only room for three covers on the Home page means a heck of a lot of scrolling. I switched to List View which gets rid of the popular/recommended books and works much better if you use Collections. If they would allow eight covers per page it would be good, but three just wasn't that useful.
wow. Too bad there isn't a way to turn off the recommended section, while keeping cover view.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
wow. Too bad there isn't a way to turn off the recommended section, while keeping cover view.
Well maybe the hackers will find a way!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I agree. If we could turn off the recommendations, like Fire users are going to be able to, and get 6-8 covers on screen (or more) it would be much more useful.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
dukesilver
Connoisseur

at least the recommendations only show on the first page, and then on page 2 it shows a full screen of your books, right?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
Top Tomato
Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top Tomato ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesilver View Post
at least the recommendations only show on the first page, and then on page 2 it shows a full screen of your books, right?
Yes, it's 6 books per page after page 1 with no more recommendations, which works for me. I do however wish the image for the collections stood out a bit more than the one for personal documents.
Top Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Yeah the collections look just like book covers which is a weird way to depict them. I wish we could use List View on the Home screen and Cover View within Collections. That would be great as collections just seem to work better on the screen when viewed as a list.