Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
Daemon
Daemon began at the beginning.

Device: none
does any reader have a good UI for the book listings?

Does ANY ebook reader provide anything other than a sorted list of every book o the machine? For example, the ability to get a list of authors, click on one of the author's names to get a list of their books? Or maybe the ability to type in an author's name and have it provide a list of all of their books?

I've been working on compiling a collection of PD books from PG and similar sources, and once I start buying commercial titles, I can easy see my collection growing into the hundreds (I own over 800 novels and several hundred non-fiction real-books...), so I'd sort of like to get something that has a sane navigation structure.
Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You really want a device that has full folder support - or at a minimum, has support for collections - so you can arrange your books in a sensible manner.

I tend to have one folder or collection per author (or per series, when a series has multiple authors).

Pretty much all devices (other than the extremely basic ones) allow you to do searches.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Does ANY ebook reader provide anything other than a sorted list of every book o the machine? For example, the ability to get a list of authors, click on one of the author's names to get a list of their books? Or maybe the ability to type in an author's name and have it provide a list of all of their books?

I've been working on compiling a collection of PD books from PG and similar sources, and once I start buying commercial titles, I can easy see my collection growing into the hundreds (I own over 800 novels and several hundred non-fiction real-books...), so I'd sort of like to get something that has a sane navigation structure.
I own a Jetbook (now unfortunately broken) and my wife has a Sony PRS-505. The Jetbook supports a multi-tiered folder system for storing books. I basically use that to organize my books by genre->author->books. Unfortunately it doesn't support links so if the book has two authors or if it might belong in two different genres, I either need to store multiple copies or just decide which will be easier to find (I choose the latter).

The Sony on the other hand supports collections. If it supported sub collections, it would be perfect... it lets me reference books by author, genre, etc.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Pocketbook line of Readers (Pocketbook360, 302, upcoming 902/903) all use a folder-based UI *plus* offer an alternate links-based system of FAVORITES that lets you create added tag-based structures. The FAVORITES links can point to individual titles, folders of links, or file folders. In the latter case the files presented will be dynamic lists instead of static links. With this system you could organize your books in Author-based folders *and* in Genre-based folders of links. Or any set of structure that you choose.
The file system UI also allows displaying book by lists, thumbnail tabs, or book covers. Books can be displayed by either the file name or the book title from the metadata and the Readers are reskinable with Themes that alter not just looks but behavior, adding extra viewing modes, for example.
Their bookshelf software is pretty flexible.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Pocketbook line of Readers (Pocketbook360, 302, upcoming 902/903) all use a folder-based UI *plus* offer an alternate links-based system of FAVORITES that lets you create added tag-based structures. The FAVORITES links can point to individual titles, folders of links, or file folders. In the latter case the files presented will be dynamic lists instead of static links. With this system you could organize your books in Author-based folders *and* in Genre-based folders of links. Or any set of structure that you choose.
The Neo is much the same. A folder-based filesystem, plus a "Favourites" page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
The collections of the Kindle (and from what I understand from Bill, the sony has the same limitations) feature simply isn't enough for me, I prefer my folder-structure. On my mobipocket (since mobipocket only has "collections"), I finally decided to change the meta titles of the books, including the author and series (if applicable) in it.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote