Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
New firmware for EZ Reader Plus.

Get the new sofware from http://astak.com/downloadcenter.asp. It is not on theEZreader download page(s) and the link on the product description page downloads the wrong file. The download file is not compressed. It is called V3asetup.bin. I am not sure why they can't get this right but it is nice to see something posted.

Anyway, the good news. TTS is now supported on the EZReader plus.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
The version data for this release:

Firmware version V2.02ASTAK.100827
BookShelf version V2.00.100827

Everything else is the same from March/April or earlier.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #3
DoctorX
DoctorX began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Anyway, the good news. TTS is now supported on the EZReader plus.
Dale
Ok, this just made my day.

TTS is pretty much the only feature I wanted from the PPro when deciding between the two models, now the Plus is perfect!

Well, except a Pearl screen, but you can't have everything.
DoctorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
DoctorX
DoctorX began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
Ok, this just made my day.

TTS is pretty much the only feature I wanted from the PPro when deciding between the two models, now the Plus is perfect!

Well, except a Pearl screen, but you can't have everything.
Spoke too early it appears.

My EZReader Plus arrived today, and I eagerly loaded up the newest firmware.

The TTS engine is not bad at all, but the voice sample quality is HORRIBLE.

Sibilance is so terrible that every letter is followed by a loud HISSING noise.

My ears are getting destroyed.

Is there any way to upgrade the voice sample quality Astak? Because to me as it stands now the TTS amounts to ear torture.

Edit: I'll post a review of the EZReader Plus itself after I fully charged it up and use it for a few days.

Last edited by DoctorX; 09-01-2010 at 09:03 PM.
DoctorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
Spoke too early it appears.

My EZReader Plus arrived today, and I eagerly loaded up the newest firmware.

The TTS engine is not bad at all, but the voice sample quality is HORRIBLE.

Sibilance is so terrible that every letter is followed by a loud HISSING noise.

My ears are getting destroyed.

Is there any way to upgrade the voice sample quality Astak? Because to me as it stands now the TTS amounts to ear torture.

Edit: I'll post a review of the EZReader Plus itself after I fully charged it up and use it for a few days.

As of right now, there is no real upgrade for the voice sample quality. I have heard the voice on the EZ Reader Plus and did not hear a hissing noise. What kind of headphones are you using with your device?

If you switch headphones and there is still a hiss, send an email to support@astak.com and I will tell our tech to look out for it.

Generally, any text-to-speech feature sounds hilariously bad, in my personal opinion. And MP3 for a real audio book is a better option, but let me know how sound quality is overall on the Plus.

I used to have an American Girl play-creator on my PC in the 90s, where you could stage a play and write dialogue for a text-to-speech voice to read aloud. It was so nightmarish, such a robotic horror, that all my plays became "silent plays". Luckily, I have to admit, text-to-speech has improved a little since then.
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert