Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
CanadianContent
Enthusiast
CanadianContent began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Newbie looking for advice, please

Hi everyone,
I am, of course an avid reader, but completely new to ebooks. I have done a lot of reading since I discovered your site. I have also been reading the Kindle forums at amazon for a few months hoping to hear news of a Canadian Kindle release, but no news yet. (Any inside knowledge on this?) The feature of the Kindle I really like is the Whispernet download feature, I quite often finish a book and would like to be able to have the next in the series available immediately, but have to wait to buy it. I know some devices have wifi available, but are there any that have a similar type of wireless delivery system?
CanadianContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianContent View Post
I know some devices have wifi available, but are there any that have a similar type of wireless delivery system?
Not unless you consider the iPhone 3G as a reading device. It now has the eReader app and you can download for free from teh app store. Once you have that you can download books from the eReader/Fictionwise store right to your device. I'm not sure if you can buy them from the device though... I'm sure theres gonna be some threads about it here somewhere.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could buy them by logging on to the FictionWise site with the Safari web browser, of course .
Old 07-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could buy them by logging on to the FictionWise site with the Safari web browser, of course .
Doh!!!

BOb
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

... but there again, you've been able to do that for many years on any "Smartphone" with a reading app and a web browser, so I'm not sure it "counts".
Old 07-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... but there again, you've been able to do that for many years on any "Smartphone" with a reading app and a web browser, so I'm not sure it "counts".
Right, he said "device"... but... if we assume him to mean dedicated book reader device than your originally answer of "NO" is of course correct.

BOb
Old 07-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Amazon Forums

I read those forums a lot, and you need to remember, they are just 'discussion' forums......Amazon does not monitor them. You won't find any new info regarding Kindle releases into another country there. You are better off haunting this forum. Not that we have any 'inside' info, but usually when something new comes out, someone here will know about it... Also, there has been erroneous info posted. To my way of thinking, Amazon is well aware of the intense interest in their Kindle outside the US, and is working like the devil trying to come up with a workable solution, if only for the additional dollars that would be spent. As our nearest neighbor, (to the north, that is!) hopefully you'll be next on the list? Good luck!

Last edited by desertgrandma; 07-12-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Needed to clarify....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote