Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Charbucks
Charbucks has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo
Smile Why I switched to Kobo

I've done a lot of reading on this forum, and I thought I'd share my thoughts about my recent ereader adventures.

I started off in January looking for something that would be appropriate for reading papers, and settled on a Sony PRS-650. No surprise, they were out of stock everywhere, so I went home with a PRS-350. My eyes are pretty good and I figured the resolution would make up for the difference in screen size, but that was not so and I ended up returning it. I also discovered that all the Sony's fancy annotation, PDF reflow and split view, custom zoom, etc. were more annoying than useful, and it made more sense for me just to reformat my PDFs on the computer using calibre's pdfmanipulate or papercrop.

I was planning on waiting for the PRS-650, but I'm not very patient. One day in Chapters I couldn't resist temptation anymore and decided to check out the Kobo. To my surprise, after a week with each, I like the Kobo much more. Here's why:

- Screen: Kobo seems whiter and doesn't have as much annoying ghosting as the Sony
- Case: The thicker bezel at the bottom is great for lying in bed with blankets bunched up at the bottom, and the plasticy lightness is just nice to hold.
- Canadian: I like supporting Canadian companies. Plus, the big D-pad and grippy back are mitten-friendly, although I've discovered that the text fades to illegibility after a few minutes in -20 anyways.
- Simplicity: Though there are many features that I would like the Kobo to have, I think the Sony has too many. The Kobo is all about reading - I don't want to take notes, draw pictures, organize my library, etc.

Basically, the Kobo just feels better. With the Sony, I was constantly thinking "wow, this is a cool device", whereas with the Kobo I'm thinking "wow, this is an awesome book".

Sorry for the rather long-winded first post, I just thought I'd share what I like about this thing instead of just talking about problems. Of which there are, of course, several... but hopefully they'll be fixed in future firmware revisions. Right?
Charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbucks View Post
Basically, the Kobo just feels better. With the Sony, I was constantly thinking "wow, this is a cool device", whereas with the Kobo I'm thinking "wow, this is an awesome book".
Couldn't have said it better.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Couldn't have said it better.
I agree. I really like the Sony features, but it didn't make sense to me to pay for stuff I didn't need (like playing mp3), and the Kobo's just nicer to hold.
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbucks View Post
Your reasoning is mine (and therefore creepy, quit it!).

Welcome, welcome!

Umm, yeah, just keep your fingers crossed on the firmware thing (but not too tightly, otherwise they may never uncross, knowing Kobo!)
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Charbucks
Charbucks has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Your reasoning is mine (and therefore creepy, quit it!).

Welcome, welcome!

Umm, yeah, just keep your fingers crossed on the firmware thing (but not too tightly, otherwise they may never uncross, knowing Kobo!)
Thanks for the welcome! And yes, I'm not counting on anything firmware-wise, though I am considering playing around with the source...
Charbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
I put my Kobo wi-fi next to a PRS-650 and tried a bunch of different text. Maybe it's because of the Sony's touch-screen layer, but the Kobo was at least as bright and contrast-y on everything.

Of all those features, though, I'd sure like to be able to go to a specific page!

I also put a lot of PDFs --journal articles, mainly -- on my Kobo, using Calibre. But I hadn't heard of papercrop, so thanks, Charbucks!
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Yes, I have to agree that the simplicity of a Kobo is much less of a distraction when reading. If I want to do more I'd rather use a netbook. I can use the Kobo one-handed in a bus or read in bed.
Perhaps it's the years I spent doing IT work, simplicity has a lot of appeal! I sometimes wish Kobo could handle PDF's a little better, but with most PDF ebooks it is the sizing that defeats the Kobo, they are produced in A4 size (or normal hardback size) and are just too big for the screen. Maybe in future, book publishers might offer A4 size and A5 size pages?
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Interesting, Charbucks. Thanks. I've been using my Sony 505 for so long now that I hardly notice the device itself (neat as it may be), but the words. And that's what it's all about. If it ever went on the blink, though, I think I'm with you: newer Sony models -- and many another new gizmo -- seem to have too many bells and whistles to distract you from the job at hand --- reading -- and a Kobo would be very high on my list of possibilities. Good luck. Nice to have your new company, by the way. Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I appreciate the simplicity of the Original Kobo and still use it regularly, switching back and forth depending on content with a Kindle 3 wifi. And it is a pleasure to hold. Nor do I mind the discounts ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
I put my Kobo wi-fi next to a PRS-650 and tried a bunch of different text. Maybe it's because of the Sony's touch-screen layer, but the Kobo was at least as bright and contrast-y on everything.
There is no touch screen layer on the 650 or the 350. There hasn't been since the 600. The newer models use IR sensors on the sides of the screen.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo