Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
JRM34857
Enthusiast
JRM34857 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 / Kindle 3 / Nook Touch
"Amazon sales pop as Kindle books overtake paperbacks"

The "Ebook" can now be taken seriously!!!!

http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/27/tech...n_bin&hpt=Sbin
JRM34857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Sales over the last 3 or 4 weeks - must be all those Kindle Christmas presents
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Sales over the last 3 or 4 weeks - must be all those Kindle Christmas presents
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ks/#more-15677

Actually, for the whole year of 2010. Ebooks outsold paperbooks 115 to 100, and they sold 3 times as many ebooks as hardbooks.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN Money
In fact, for every 100 paperback books sold, Amazon has sold 115 Kindle books since the beginning of the year, the company said.
Either Amazon's statement is wrong or The Digital Reader read it incorrectly.

But later on The Digital Reader gets it correct? (In the highlights).

Lord only knows.

Last edited by Anthem; 01-27-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
From Amazon news release:

* Amazon.com is now selling more Kindle books than paperback books. Since the beginning of the year, for every 100 paperback books Amazon has sold, the Company has sold 115 Kindle books. Additionally, during this same time period the Company has sold three times as many Kindle books as hardcover books. This is across Amazon.com's entire U.S. book business and includes sales of books where there is no Kindle edition. Free Kindle books are excluded and if included would make the numbers even higher.

Engadget story links to full news release:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/27/a...in-sales-find/
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Either Amazon's statement is wrong or The Digital Reader read it incorrectly.

But later on The Digital Reader gets it correct? (In the highlights).

Lord only knows.
I think it was just sloppy writing in the article. The very next sentence says:

Quote:
Ad they sold 3 times as many ebooks as they did hardbacks. What’s even better is that those numbers cover all of 2010, not just this last quarter.
(Emphasis mine.)
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yup, the the-digital-reader editor didn't pay attention to what was written.

For all of 2010, Amazon sold 115 Kindle books for every 100 paperback books. Specifically excluded were free Kindle books.

"Millions" of Kindle 3s were sold in Q4 (Oct-Dec) which "confirms" analyst speculations that Amazon sold 7 to 8 million Kindles in 2010. Note that as recently as Sep, analysts were predicting 4 million Kindles in 2010.

Presumably, Amazon continues to experience strong ebook sales from customers who don't have a Kindle -- in July, they reported 25% of Kindle ebooks were sold to non-Kindle owners.

Anyway you shake it, it's been a strong year for Kindles, and Kindle ebooks.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Yeah, as many people predicted the ebooks would get more popular than paperbacks. I think that in about 5 years the paperbacks will be a lot more rare, but for this we need a very good color e-ink display technology
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
115 ebooks : 100 paperback books

At first it sounds impressive then I realize I never have or would ever buy a paperback from Amazon. Most paperbacks are less expensive elsewhere.

So now it doesn't impress me.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #10
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yes, and the Book Depository should be taking some of their paper sales I would think.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
C.I.Bond
I need to clean this tub!
C.I.Bond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
115 ebooks : 100 paperback books

At first it sounds impressive then I realize I never have or would ever buy a paperback from Amazon. Most paperbacks are less expensive elsewhere.

So now it doesn't impress me.
There isn't a way to quantify the used bookstore sales either and that's where I troll for new-old stuff.
C.I.Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Here I could swear I'd read posts that maintain ebooks are a "niche" market?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
At first it sounds impressive then I realize I never have or would ever buy a paperback from Amazon. Most paperbacks are less expensive elsewhere. So now it doesn't impress me.
Yes, clearly the buying habits of millions of Americans are identical to yours.

Oh, wait, they aren't. In fact they're one of the largest book retailers in the world.

While ebooks probably aren't outselling paper by other measures (e.g. total revenues, profits, all ebooks vs all paper) this is pretty danged impressive, especially given how many more titles are available in paper than as ebooks.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #14
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.I.Bond View Post
There isn't a way to quantify the used bookstore sales either and that's where I troll for new-old stuff.
Of course there is, Amazon extensively tracks all sales on their sites. It would probably take them all of 5 minutes to run a report on sales of new hardcover vs new paperback vs all 3rd party/used sales for a given year.

I'd guess it's included in the figures. Used sales are generally around 15% of the US market, by the way. Again, your habits do not necessarily reflect what everyone else does.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Yes, clearly the buying habits of millions of Americans are identical to yours.

Oh, wait, they aren't. In fact they're one of the largest book retailers in the world.
Which may possibly suggest they are overpaying for their paperback books.

That is one buying habit I won't join in.

Still not impressed.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote