Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Question What's happened?

I just tried to access the new site, [illegal site edited out - Moderator], and got this message:

'Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /showthread.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[URL edited out - illegal site - Moderator]

So it looks like the site has been taken off the air already! It had only been running a month apparently, but it would appear that powers-that-be were upset by the fact that people were sharing their ebooks with other members, and have now closed it down. I did guess this might happen.

Does anyone else have any information?

Thanks!

Edit: It's now back on but for how long?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-15-2010 at 02:31 PM. Reason: URL address
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please do not post or link to illegal sites that list copyrighted books for download.

Thank you,
Don (Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-15-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
sharingebooks
sharingebooks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hi, I came across this forum on google.
Actually that error was only there for about 10 minutes, I was installing a mod for vbulletin that sent out emails to inactive members, only they went out all at once and the hosting company freaked out and took me offline until I told them what happened.

I tend to break it every so often

No worries, Its up and isn't going anywhere. Glad you enjoy it.

BTW, this is a pretty cool site, I'm gonna take a look around
sharingebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Hmmm,

When I Googled [illegal site edited out - Moderator] it listed Mobilread as one of the choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google

Peer to Peer File Sharing ebooks? - MobileRead Forums5
5 posts - 5 authors - Last post: Jul 21, 2003
Peer to Peer File Sharing ebooks? Deals, Freebies, and Resources.
www.mobileread.com › ... › Deals, Freebies, and Resources - Cached - Similar
Hello‎ - 2 posts - Apr 15, 2010
What's happened to [illegal site edited out - Moderator]?‎ - 1 post - Apr 15, 2010

More results from mobileread.com »
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
sharingebooks
sharingebooks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
yep, thats how i found it also
sharingebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please do not post or link to illegal sites that list copyrighted books for download.

Thank you,
Don (Moderator)
Although I have to say in my own defence that I came upon the site whilst looking at your Wiki pages. Never mind!
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hols57 View Post
Although I have to say in my own defence that I came upon the site whilst looking at your Wiki pages. Never mind!
No problem. We'll edit that and/or delete it.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #8
sundance0000
Junior Space Cadet
sundance0000 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Sharingebooks... are you [site mentioned]

If so, just wondering but what happened to your site? When I go in all I get is

Index of /

Name Last modified Size Description

arcade 17-May-2010 11:52 -
Proudly Served by LiteSpeed Web Server at [Wrong url - Moderator] Port 80

It was one of my goto sites for ebooks. Hope it's going to come back on again.
Thanks.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-18-2010 at 03:37 PM.
sundance0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
alisera
alisera began at the beginning.

Device: none
i am not able to access [URL edited out - Moderator] yet. has it been shut down? plz help

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-18-2010 at 03:37 PM.
alisera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Ariana
Ariana began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
What happened? It was one of my new favourite sites and I thought i was going crazy this morning when it wouldnt come up...

Sharingebooks, im guessing you got shut down...will you start another one? Please let us know!
Ariana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Ariana, have you considered acquiring your ebooks honestly?

There are plenty of public-domain ebooks available legitimately free, not to mention the contents of, say, the Baen Free Library, and many others available on sites like BVC for reasonable prices.

And what's with the sudden burst of new members, just joined, posted only once, and only in this thread?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
Ariana
Ariana began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
Worldwalker, I can only talk on my behalf...but I didn't see anything dishonest in the sharingebook's site. I see it as the same thing as borrowing a book of a friend instead of buying it, if they have it - this is just an electronic sharing version.

But thanks for the other site references.

As for me joining today and posting only once in this particular thread...I haven't heard of this site before and am not sure what it does yet, but found it through google whilst searching on what happened to the other site. I can only assume it's the same reason for some of the other guys.
Ariana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Well ... as to what it does, MobileRead is a community of electronic book aficionados. We talk about books, we talk about ebook readers, we talk about software, and we argue about just about everything. By and large we're a very polite bunch (except for me).

One thing we don't talk about, though, is where to get pirate copies of ebooks. Ethical issues aside, that could get MobileRead shut down, and possibly get the fine folks who run it in grief. The kind of grief that involves expensive lawyers. We don't want that to happen, so we (except, obviously, for the OP of this thread) don't promote sites that offer illicit ebooks.

There is a difference between one person lending a printed book to a friend and a website giving infinite numbers of that book to all comers. A printed book is sold as a physical object -- you can read it, sell it to someone else, prop up the corner of your couch with, whatever. And, much like the plate I'm eating my breakfast off of right now, once it's sold, the manufacturer is pretty much done with it. Also, it can only be in one place at a time. If a hundred people want to read it, 99 of them are going to have a long wait. Ebooks, on the other hand, can be replicated indefinitely. If everybody just shares copies, how is the author going to make enough money to buy her groceries and pay her rent? I've met quite a few authors over the years, and not a one of them could subsist on dewdrops and moonbeams (beer, possibly). The ones I've met have all been good people (except for Larry Niven, who is a donkey). They need their rent and grocery money, too, just like the rest of us. If we all just downloaded illicit copies of their books, they wouldn't be able to buy their groceries (except, again, for Niven, who's independently wealthy, which may be why he is a donkey) and would have to do something else for a living.

If I want a book bad enough, I'll buy it. If it's not worth six bucks, or ten bucks, or whatever, to me, how can it possibly be worth my honor, which is much more precious? It doesn't matter if nobody else knows. Your reputation is what people think about you, but your honor -- your character, if you prefer -- is what you are. It's definitely not something you want to trade for a badly-scanned copy of Twilight.

Mostly, I read public domain stuff -- books that are long out of copyright. For one thing, they're free. For another, they're classics for a reason -- nobody bothered to save the books that sucked. So if you dig around somewhere like Project Gutenberg, you're getting the cream of the crop for hundreds of years of crops. A hundred years from now, I doubt if anyone is going to remember much, if anything, on this week's NYT best seller list -- but they'll probably still be reading A Tale of Two Cities. MobileRead has a good selection of PD books; if I want something that's not here, I try ManyBooks, Feedbooks, and Project Gutenberg (in that order). If none of them have it, I move on; with tens or hundreds of thousands of books at my fingertip, I'm not too worried about any given one.

Then there are the authors and publishers who tempt us with free samples. You'll find links to a lot of them in the "news" section of this forum. The idea, of course, is just like any other free sample: you'll like the first book and buy the rest of the series. Baen Books is particularly insidious that way. *sigh* And my quick check to see if there was anything new up just cost me twelve bucks ... I have GOT to stay away from that place. BookView Cafe is another favorite of mine (and if you're checking it out, and you like mysteries I can't recommend Lacing Up For Murder highly enough -- it's absolutely excellent). I've gotten a book or two from Lulu, and a few technical titles from O'Reilly. Smashwords is pretty popular around here, too.

With so many legitimately free or cheap ebooks out there, who needs to get them any other way?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #14
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I do think its funny that a sharing of real books done by a group of work mates or people who visit a hotel where there is a book share area would receive none of the same 'stigma' that sharing a book online brings.
maybe if people posted their invoice showing they originally purchased the book...

I know never going to happen but it is relatively amusing to me.

I lent a guy at work the paperback Enders game the other day. Imagine If I said on here that I would email someone a electronic version of a book I purchased Im sure it would get deleted(and rightly so I understand teh pressures on MR) but it is a little silly.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #15
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I saw a post from the developer on a different forum that the site in question is down for good. Random House forced him to pull the plug.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote