Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
winwintoo
winwintoo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mobipocket books in Kindle app?

I have purchased many books from Mobipocket.com that I read on Palm devices.

Is iat possible to convert those books to read them in the Kindle app on my iPad?

Thanks, Margaret
winwintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
Unfortunately, no. And it's one of my pet peeves agains Amazon - I just don't get why they bought Mobipocket & didn't bother to allow their DRM on Kindle devices.

If you really want to read those books on the Kindle, you'll have to go underhanded - i.e. the only way is to remove the DRM first.

p.s. You also can't sideload on the Kindle app. There are tricks to do that, but it's not really a feature
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
There is another problem since you are using the iPad app. At least there used to be. There is no way to load books not from the Amazon store into the iPad app. You might look at Stanza. It should do the job.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
winwintoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgillette.rm View Post
There is another problem since you are using the iPad app. At least there used to be. There is no way to load books not from the Amazon store into the iPad app. You might look at Stanza. It should do the job.
I use Stanza a lot and it does a good job. Too bad about Mobipocket though. Did Amazon just buy and destroy their competition?

Thanks for all the speedy answers.

Margaret
Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Wrong, misleading answers.
The question was it possible to read mobipocket purchase with kindle app.
Can one? Not right away. Not directly.
Possible? Yes.
How?
1. Know your mobipocket pid.
2. Google for mobidedrm
3. You'll find out that once you can free your mobipocket ebooks, you can load it to your _jailbroken_ iPad with kindle app running in there.

Kindle app reads no-drm .mobi, .prc., regardless where you get them. Kindle app reads drm ebook (.azw) from amazon only.
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yeah, it never has made sense to me that Amazon wouldn't support mobipocket DRM with Kindle & Kindle apps. They bought a customer base along with Mobipocket, why not bring them along?

As with so many things that don't make sense, my guess is that lawyers are involved.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
winwintoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yeah, it never has made sense to me that Amazon wouldn't support mobipocket DRM with Kindle & Kindle apps. They bought a customer base along with Mobipocket, why not bring them along?

As with so many things that don't make sense, my guess is that lawyers are involved.
Very true

Margaret
Old 08-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
After you remove the drm from your mobipocket ebooks, you can sideload the books through USB cable to your jailbroken iPad. Please see how to do it from here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=10
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57286
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #9
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
After you remove the drm from your mobipocket ebooks, you can sideload the books through USB cable to your jailbroken iPad. Please see how to do it from here:
Or just convert the de-DRMed file to ePub and read in Stanza, iBooks, or Kobo without needing to jailbreak the device.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
ritibelle
ritibelle doesn't litterritibelle doesn't litterritibelle doesn't litter

Device: Reb1100, Reb1200, Ebw1150, Sony 505
Sorry about reviving this topic but I thought someone would want to know that it is indeed possible to read mobipocket books (without DRM) on your idevice.
You can use BookShelf (Link disabled by moderator]) and there's also a free app with reduced functionality BookShelf LT.
I reads epub, plucker, txt, html, palmdoc and mobipocket.

Last edited by pshrynk; 09-24-2010 at 02:38 PM.
ritibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #11
jmajluf
jmajluf began at the beginning.

Device: None
dedrm

I've done everything explained in the posts and can't de-drm my mobipocket ebooks
is there another way?
thanks.
jmajluf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=10
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57286
If you are talking about these threads, they aren't telling you how to de-drm, just how to move the files after you do it.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
jmajluf

dedrm

Now when I redownload my ebooks from mobipocket the file extension is "kindle content"
I have tried to dedrm all my >100 books following the instructions and nothing...
does anyone know of another (easier) way to dedrm my legally purchased ebooks?
thanks.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
jmajluf

I've been following every step and I always get the followwing message:
'python' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #15
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You have to install python on your computer for it to be able to run python scripts.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote