Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Font causing crash

Once again I have crashed my T1. I was opening some books, checking the tables of contents, decided to change a font on a book. Changed 2 or 3, then said, why don't I try this one again.....well again, it crashed my reader. Has anyone else had a stock font do this?

Frutiger Neue, I think it's called. Waiting for the T1 to finish rebooting so don't dare look. So irritating. I guess I need to see about replacing it. (The font, that is)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Once again I have crashed my T1. I was opening some books, checking the tables of contents, decided to change a font on a book. Changed 2 or 3, then said, why don't I try this one again.....well again, it crashed my reader. Has anyone else had a stock font do this?

Frutiger Neue, I think it's called. Waiting for the T1 to finish rebooting so don't dare look. So irritating. I guess I need to see about replacing it. (The font, that is)
I've had problems with several fonts on various books. I've also noticed that Fruitiger Neue seems to have caused more issues than other fonts. I've also noticed that while some books are very amenable to font changes, some will only work with 1 or 2 different fonts.

It's frustrating when you select a font, and the reader goes off to Nod, never to return, and a shutdown is the only solution.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think replacing a stock font is very easy, either. I'll just stick with the 3 that usually work.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
You can run the book through calibre to remove existing font information.. that way the device will use the built-in fonts... I have found this fixes most font problems especially the times when you can't change the font size or face...in general the sony doesn't seem to handle stuff like this very gracefully
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Oh I always do run them through Calibre first and remove fonts. It's the stock font choice on the Sony that gives me trouble, regardless of the book.

Well I don't change css or anything like that, as I wouldn't know what to do. I go to Look & Feel, Filter Style Information, and check Fonts to remove them.
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok well that will remove the font info so it must be the font file itself I assume the font you added is compatible (ttf).. I am not an expert on fonts so I can't help further.. good luck
Old 03-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
That's interesting. I actually really like that font & almost always use that when reading on my Sony. I've not encountered that problem on either of the T1's I have. hmm...
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Well darn! And I can't use it at all!

bla, I didn't add any fonts. This is the one that came with the T1.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
bla
E bookworm

I just used that font Fruitiger Neue on my T1 with no problem.. it's coming down to a corrupt font file, you have 2 options replace that font file if it keeps crashing your device or just use another of the built-in fonts Verdana is a similar font
Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I'll use Verdana. Unless you know an easy way to replace a font file. I looked it up, and it looked complicated. Mine is not rooted. (Although it was in the past).
Old 03-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
You know thinking back to the times I've had the rotating arrows of doom it could have been after changing a books font, it's only happened to me twice but I can't rule that out.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
bla
E bookworm

Anything is possible.... the error handling on the T1 seems to fall over when it comes to corrupt files etc... that is not meant as a critique.. as a software developer in a previous life I know how tough it can be to write robust error recovery routines corrupt files always cause problems I just wish they didn't cause those endless loading errors they are scary lol
Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
I just used that font Fruitiger Neue on my T1 with no problem.. it's coming down to a corrupt font file, you have 2 options replace that font file if it keeps crashing your device or just use another of the built-in fonts Verdana is a similar font
Odd that this font works just fine on some books, and chokes on others. Don't know if that would be indicative of a corrupt font or not. I've had a couple of books that balked at more than one font, but the Fruitiger Neue seems to be the most problematic.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #14
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If it works on some books and not on other books, it might be a smart idea to look at the books. See if they are correct. I know that my old PRS-300 would crash on certain books because it was full of errors.

Run the books through the Epubcheck and Flightcrew validators. They are not perfect, but might give a hint.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
You can run the book through calibre to remove existing font information.. that way the device will use the built-in fonts... I have found this fixes most font problems especially the times when you can't change the font size or face...in general the sony doesn't seem to handle stuff like this very gracefully
How do you do that?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote