Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 09:56 PM   #16
Stephen Cole
Stephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy S7
Hi Folks,

I've passed your very apt comments about eBooks.com's search function to the team -- thank you.

Regarding epub: Where a publisher provides epub, we'll be offering it. A number of early adopting publishers, including Harlequin and Hachette, have already started streaming materials to us in this format. Even UK trade publishers, who have been very slow to adopt digital strategies, seem to be embracing epub.

Over the coming year we'll see a rapidly increasing number of books published in epub.

Cheers,

Stephen
CEO, eBooks.com
Stephen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Cole View Post
Hi Folks,

I've passed your very apt comments about eBooks.com's search function to the team -- thank you.

Regarding epub: Where a publisher provides epub, we'll be offering it. A number of early adopting publishers, including Harlequin and Hachette, have already started streaming materials to us in this format. Even UK trade publishers, who have been very slow to adopt digital strategies, seem to be embracing epub.

Over the coming year we'll see a rapidly increasing number of books published in epub.

Cheers,

Stephen
CEO, eBooks.com
Does eBooks.com differentiate between PDF and ePub? Not that I can see. That would be very useful. I would be rather annoyed to purchase what I thought was ePub only to end up with PDF. Calling it Adobe Digital Editions is way too vague. Please tell it like it is. it's either PDF or it's ePub. But it's not Digital Edi tons. Digital Editions is the software used to view DRM laden PDF or ePub (with or without DRM).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does eBooks.com differentiate between PDF and ePub? Not that I can see. That would be very useful. I would be rather annoyed to purchase what I thought was ePub only to end up with PDF. Calling it Adobe Digital Editions is way too vague. Please tell it like it is. it's either PDF or it's ePub. But it's not Digital Edi tons. Digital Editions is the software used to view DRM laden PDF or ePub (with or without DRM).
It will view PDF, DRM laden or not.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #19
Stephen Cole
Stephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enoughStephen Cole will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does eBooks.com differentiate between PDF and ePub?
Jon,

We're not hosting epub yet. We're awaiting integration with Adobe's upcoming revised Adobe Content Server.

Right now, we're storing up a repository of epub files, ready for when that day comes. That day is not too far off.

So, for the time being, "Adobe" on eBooks.com means a DRMd PDF that works on Digital Editions. When we start selling epub files, we'll clearly differentiate between the two formats.

Stephen
CEO, eBooks.com
Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #20
mike_berriman
mike_berriman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question

Hi Stephen,

Having the books in PDF for the 505 is fine, and ePub is even better. The question I have (from your home town) is when am I likely to be able to buy your books?

You have a very large collection, a large proportion of which cannot be purchased by people in Australia. I assume this is to do with publisher agreements, but do you see any joy on the horizon for us Aussies?

mike_berriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:26 AM   #21
Stephen Cole

Ebooks for Non-US Territories

Hi Mike,

There certainly is hope for the rest of the world. It's catch-up time right now in the UK, Australia and other territories. For the last decade, the Americans have really been leading the charge. Every major US publisher has had a dedicated ebook team in place clearing rights, converting files and establishing distribution agreements with people like OverDrive, Lightning Source, MobiPocket and Ebooks Corporation.

We have attempted to engage UK and Australian publishers during that time but with little effect. However the last 9 months has seen a sudden increase in interest from UK publishers. Every major UK publisher has an established digital initiative now, and we're in discussions.

Australian publishers are still feeling their way with ebooks. Australia's leading independent publisher, Allen & Unwin, is the exception. A&U has been publishing ebooks since 2000 and they are well ahead of the curve.

In summary, we can expect to see an increased flow of UK-published material in the coming year, and I think Australian publishers will start picking up sometime after that.

We all knew that ebooks were going to be a generational change, but I guess we didn't really expect it would actually take a generation.

Cheers,

Stephen

CEO
eBooks.com

Tags
ebooks.com, sony reader