Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Ulnarian
Ulnarian began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Can't seem to put my newly purchased book onto my Sony Reader (PRS-500)

I bought a new book today on the Sony bookstore and for some reason I can't seem to put it onto the Reader. I've noticed that the file is in a format called "Epub" while the rest of my "books" are in "BBEB" format. Does this make a difference? If so, is there a workaround to this?
Ulnarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Does your 500 have the updated firmware?

I'm a 505 user myself, but I believe there's a firmware update necessary for the 500 before it can read epubs.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
BBeB (or LRF/LRX) is the format Sony sold up until this year, they now sell books in the more universal ePub format with Adobe DRM (they upgraded all/most of folks previous purchases so they can be re-downloaded in ePub too).

The newer Sony readers can do both formats, but the 500 needs to be sent in to Sony for a firmware upgrade, however doing the upgrade means you lose the ability to view LRF/LRX (BBeB) format books. Assuming they're still doing the upgrade that is. I'm not sure if there was a time limit or not, the offer started around November '09.

Some links that may be of help...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81198
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62272
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62252
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63278

The other option would be to remove the DRM from the ePub and then convert it to LRF using Calibre so it will work on a non-upgraded 500.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
So the 500 can be upgraded to take epubs, but then it won't read LRF any more? Even though newer readers can handle both? Lame!
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
So the 500 can be upgraded to take epubs, but then it won't read LRF any more? Even though newer readers can handle both? Lame!
IIRC they can't get a firmware to do both small enough to fit on the space available for firmware on the 500.
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
IIRC they can't get a firmware to do both small enough to fit on the space available for firmware on the 500.
Mine seems to read both
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_T View Post
Mine seems to read both
Interesting. I don't have one, but from what I've read in other threads you have to give up one to get the other. So you sent your in to Sony for the firmware upgrade and it does both?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #8
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Interesting. I don't have one, but from what I've read in other threads you have to give up one to get the other. So you sent your in to Sony for the firmware upgrade and it does both?
Yup. I think what I heard was that the sony store was replacing all the lrfs with epubs so maybe thats where the confusion is.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Esquire1
Banned
Esquire1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 wifi; PRS-500 (gone); iPad NOT for reading e-books ;)
Quote:
but the 500 needs to be sent in to Sony for a firmware upgrade, however doing the upgrade means you lose the ability to view LRF/LRX (BBeB) format books. Assuming they're still doing the upgrade that is. I'm not sure if there was a time limit or not, the offer started around November '09.
I just purchased a brand new PRS-500 yesterday and sent it off for the upgrade this morning. Sony paid for the shipping and all that so I assume they're still doing the upgrade. I hope they didn't just take my e-reader and run

I bought it off of craigslist. Some older gentleman never used it. Either that or he packed it really well. It didn't have the upgrade to it. I couldn't run it on my Linux OS Sony Vaio laptop.

I think he may have gotten it from a promotion? It has an American Airlines embossment on the front of the reader cover. Do all PRS-500s have that?
Esquire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Scott_T
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire1 View Post
I think he may have gotten it from a promotion? It has an American Airlines embossment on the front of the reader cover. Do all PRS-500s have that?
Its been a while but I dont think so
Old 07-15-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
After the upgrade, your reading should be able to read LRF, RTF, ePub, and PDF. I don't know about DRM'd LRF, though. However, where before lrf would load right away, it will now spend 30s or whatever (depending on the size of the book) formatting like it did for rtf books. If you change the font size, it will format again until you've formatted for each font size.

As for the cover, mine is black and all it says is Reader on the front cover edge and Sony in the center of the back.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I didn't upgrade my 500 (as the offer didn't extend to the UK). Removal of DRM was straightforward, conversion via calibre was a doddle.

my cover doesn't have American Airlines logo
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote