Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
dynalmadman
dynalmadman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Nook eReader for Blackberry
Converting to PDB

Hi everyone. First post here.

First, what I have. I am planning on buying the Nook. Maybe in the next couple of weeks. I downloaded B&N's eReader for my Blackberry 9000, and it works ok. I am happy to be able to read something on my BB, tho the screen is pretty crappy for it.

Anyway, I have downloaded a few .pdb samples from B&N and they open and work fine on the BB. I recently purchased an eBook from a poker author and the format is .pdf. It is password protected and works fine on my computer, but does not read on the BB, as I think the B&N ereader can only do .pdb.

So I get Calibre, and it seems to work great. I converted the file from .pdf to .pdb and put it on my BB. The ereader sees it, but when I try to open it, it asks me for the purchaser name and unlock code. I enter it, and it tells me the unlock code failed, check the code.

Hmmm. Okay. I contact the author, and he sends me an Epub version at no cost, and tells me that there is no password required for the epub version.

Great! I try to load the epub, but again, looks like the ereader can only do .pdb. So I run the epub thru calibre and put the .pdb on the BB and have the exact same result. It asks me for the user name and unlock code.

Eh? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
dynalmadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
DRM is not supported by calibre. It cannot convert DRM protected content and it does not produce DRM protected content. I have no idea how you are got it to convert in the first place or why you are being prompted for an unlock code.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
I think that the original file is only password protedted and not DRM protetcted, which is why dynalmadman was able to convert it to pdb.

The fact that nook is asking for credentials is a known issue with the nook device, even with their latest firmware version (1.2.0).

My suggestion would be to try the pdb doc format instead of pdb ereader (this is a setting in calibre pdb output section) and see if that works.

HTH

Last edited by solitaire; 02-12-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: corrected nook firmware version number
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
dynalmadman

Thanks for the suggestions, but neither doc nor ztxt outputs worked. Guess I will have to wait for something else.

Michael
Old 02-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynalmadman View Post
Hi everyone. First post here.

First, what I have. I am planning on buying the Nook. Maybe in the next couple of weeks. I downloaded B&N's eReader for my Blackberry 9000, and it works ok. I am happy to be able to read something on my BB, tho the screen is pretty crappy for it.

Anyway, I have downloaded a few .pdb samples from B&N and they open and work fine on the BB. I recently purchased an eBook from a poker author and the format is .pdf. It is password protected and works fine on my computer, but does not read on the BB, as I think the B&N ereader can only do .pdb.

So I get Calibre, and it seems to work great. I converted the file from .pdf to .pdb and put it on my BB. The ereader sees it, but when I try to open it, it asks me for the purchaser name and unlock code. I enter it, and it tells me the unlock code failed, check the code.

Hmmm. Okay. I contact the author, and he sends me an Epub version at no cost, and tells me that there is no password required for the epub version.

Great! I try to load the epub, but again, looks like the ereader can only do .pdb. So I run the epub thru calibre and put the .pdb on the BB and have the exact same result. It asks me for the user name and unlock code.

Eh? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
I had the same exact problem with my BB storm it ends up the eReader/B&N Reader software had issues with the file name. It does not support spaces, dashes and such. So now I just name them something simple like "mybook.pdb" and copy it to the correct directory.

Also make sure when you are creating the PDB book in calibre you are selecting the "eReader" option.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
dynalmadman

Incredible! Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Michael
Old 02-13-2010, 03:36 AM   #7
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
Thanks for the solution =X=. This will be of immense help to people over at B&N's nook's forums.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote