Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 AM   #31
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is the 600 is replacing the 505 and the 300 is just a new model and the replacement for the 700 is yet to be seen.
That would make more sense to me than go backwards. Thanks.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #32
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I look at the dimensions, the 300 is higher by about 3 or 4 mm than the 505! It will really look like a brick :/
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
That would make more sense to me than go backwards. Thanks.
According to rumors, the flexi screens will start manufacturing in the fall. Could be tht Sony is waiting for them to make a larger screen reader that will be more fault tolerant then the 9.7" glass screen the Kindle DX is using. I'm hoping so and I'm hoping thr price is reasonable as well. But this is all conjecture on my part for now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #34
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I agree that the 300 numbering is because it's more of the scaled-back model. And remember, they're getting rid of the 500/505 series, so it's not like people (read: new customers) will really have that as a reference point for the new models.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #35
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
One of the new models is both smaller and lower specced than existing ones so its not that unlikely that they would use a lower number for it.

As far as getting rid of devices, maybe the 600 is actually intended to replace the 700 as well as the 505, take a look at what they did with the playstation designs as time went by, they phased out the stuff that would cut costs and slimmed down the designs.

Last edited by Crowl; 07-30-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #36
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Why do some people want WiFi on an ereader? For Internet access?

I really don't see a need. I have my phone if I really need to access the Internet on the go, and that's in colour and runs a proper browser, has email, etc.

At home, I have computers to access the Internet.

If it's for downloading books, I can't see the attraction of WiFi either. If I want to download a book I can do it at home. My reader holds hundreds of books potentially. I could never be without reading material.

Buying from a shop over WiFi could be cool if shops supported it.

What am I missing that makes wireless connectivity attractive?

If the specs of these devices are as mentioned in this thread I predict a price cut. The 300 will be quite cheap, and the 600 maybe a fair bit cheaper than the 700 (considering also that gadgets tend to get cheaper as they mature). Ereaders need to cease being an expensive early adopter technology soon.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
That's easy. They want wifi so they can find out where they are when they've gotten lost while walking and reading at the same time.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #38
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post

I really don't see a need. I have my phone if I really need to access the Internet on the go, and that's in colour and runs a proper browser, has email, etc.

At home, I have computers to access the Internet.

If it's for downloading books, I can't see the attraction of WiFi either. If I want to download a book I can do it at home. My reader holds hundreds of books potentially. I could never be without reading material.

Buying from a shop over WiFi could be cool if shops supported it.

What am I missing that makes wireless connectivity attractive?

If the specs of these devices are as mentioned in this thread I predict a price cut. The 300 will be quite cheap, and the 600 maybe a fair bit cheaper than the 700 (considering also that gadgets tend to get cheaper as they mature). Ereaders need to cease being an expensive early adopter technology soon.
Personally, I don't need Wifi. I would be willing to trade up from my 700 if they fixed the screen glare, made the light source less sporadic, and included dictionary look-up. The screen/reader size is perfect for me. I don't want a larger size because it would lose some of it's portability. My purse is big enough! They also need to upgrade their Library software to be on par with their reader. It's pretty pathetic in comparison.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The library software does what it does quite nicely. It's not all that feature filled. But it works and it works well.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 AM   #40
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Wi-fi attracts me if I can just grab content off my computer without having to actually plug it in. I can be anywhere in the house and if I feel the need arise, I can look through my content on my PC and just load it up. It would be great if I can access stores through the wi-fi connection, so maybe they'll implement that one day. I can imagine lounging in the backyard and just instantly grab a book to read without having to return to my computer or if they made a store accessible by wi-fi, I can just download a book at any wi-fi hotspot.

I also believe they can make it so that Wi-fi doesn't have to be on all the time so it doesn't drain your batteries. So if there is no negative impact on battery life if you decide to leave it turned off, and the cost of putting wi-fi doesn't drastically increase the cost of the device, why not have it?

But based on just the look. I think they should've keep the 505 series since the button placements and the 505 looks a lot better than the 300 in my opinion. I hope they don't discontinue the 505 entirely and perhaps keep the silver and reds for sale and just sell the 300 at a lower price point for those looking for a cheaper alternative.

I know these are just pictures and could just be mock-ups of the final versions. But the build quality looks to have gone backwards. Sony readers had one thing going for them in my opinion and it was the nice and solid design.

Last edited by MerLock; 07-30-2009 at 11:17 AM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #41
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
The library software does what it does quite nicely. It's not all that feature filled. But it works and it works well.
It does work, up to a point, but the Sync option trashes my reader everytime. It wouldn't be that difficult to fix, programingly speaking, and it would go a long way to show that Sony has the best interests of their customers at heart. It's the loyal customers who return again and again to buy a vendors products that can make or break a manufacturer.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #42
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Wi-fi attracts me if I can just grab content off my computer without having to actually plug it in. I can be anywhere in the house and if I feel the need arise, I can look through my content on my PC and just load it up. It would be great if I can access stores through the wi-fi connection, so maybe they'll implement that one day. I can imagine lounging in the backyard and just instantly grab a book to read without having to return to my computer or if they made a store accessible by wi-fi, I can just download a book at any wi-fi hotspot.

I also believe they can make it so that Wi-fi doesn't have to be on all the time so it doesn't drain your batteries. So if there is no negative impact on battery life if you decide to leave it turned off, and the cost of putting wi-fi doesn't drastically increase the cost of the device, why not have it?
Very true. It would be a nice feature, but not a selling point for me, personally.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
It does work, up to a point, but the Sync option trashes my reader everytime. It wouldn't be that difficult to fix, programingly speaking, and it would go a long way to show that Sony has the best interests of their customers at heart. It's the loyal customers who return again and again to buy a vendors products that can make or break a manufacturer.
I did forget the auto-sync is not a nice feature. But it is the only feature I can think of that doesn't work well. Manually syncing does work though.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #44
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
I did forget the auto-sync is not a nice feature. But it is the only feature I can think of that doesn't work well. Manually syncing does work though.
It does and it is really my only complaint about the software. I use Library to make bookmarks and annotations and am quite happy with that aspect of it.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The thing I use eBook Library for is to manage collections and content. And for that it's fine. And I don't have to wait for LRF files to paginate.