Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Question set meta data with ebook-meta and ebook-convert

Hi,

It's me again. I have noticed a problem when setting meta data with ebook-meta or ebook-convert. Sometimes the new meta data is just plain ignored:

Code:
>ebook-meta --index=2355 Perry\ Rhodan\ Nr.\ 2355\ -\ Pabel\ Moewig\ Verlag.epub
Original-Metadaten::
	Title               : Perry Rhodan Nr. 2355
	Author(s)           : Pabel Moewig Verlag [Verlag, Pabel Moewig]
	Publisher           : KEP
	Book Producer       : calibre (0.6.33) [http://calibre-ebook.com]
	Tags                : Perry Rhodan, Science-Fiction
	Series              : PRZ34-TERRANOVA #56
	Language            : UND
	Rating              : 8
	Timestamp           : 2009-05-31 16:40:14
	Published           : 2009-05-31 16:40:14

Ge?nderte Metadaten::
	Title               : Perry Rhodan Nr. 2355
	Book Producer       : calibre (0.6.33) [http://calibre-ebook.com]
	Series              : PRZ34-TERRANOVA #56
	Timestamp           : 2009-05-31 16:40:14
	Published           : 2009-05-31 16:40:14
I know that at least ebook-meta is supposed to silently ignore meta data which is not supported by the format. Only in the example above I try to set --series which should work on ePUB. In fact there is already a series set and I only try to change the index. And sometimes it does work. Rather strange.

And: why is the language set to UND?

Martin

Last edited by krischik; 01-17-2010 at 01:19 PM.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
UND is unknown. IIRC you have to set both series and series index for it to stick.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Unhappy More difficult then that

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
UND is unknown. IIRC you have to set both series and series index for it to stick.
Even setting both won't work:

Code:
>ebook-meta Perry\ Rhodan\ Nr.\ 2300\ -\ Pabel\ Moewig\ Verlag.epub --series="PRZ34-TERRANOVA" --index=1
	Title               : Perry Rhodan Nr. 2300
	Author(s)           : Pabel Moewig Verlag

Old 01-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
krischik
Addict

Wink Another expample

Here another example. This is just the opf - so I can safely attach the file:

Code:
~/Documents/eBooks/Pabel Moewig Verlag/Perry Rhodan Nr. 2300 (212)  Darwin  martin@macpro-eth1  Mo Jan 18 16:45:51  standart  0 
>calibredb show_metadata 212 --as-opf >Perry\ Rhodan\ Nr.\ 2300\ -\ Pabel\ Moewig\ Verlag.opf                        
~/Documents/eBooks/Pabel Moewig Verlag/Perry Rhodan Nr. 2300 (212)  Darwin  martin@macpro-eth1  Mo Jan 18 16:45:59  standart  0 
>ebook-meta Perry\ Rhodan\ Nr.\ 2300\ -\ Pabel\ Moewig\ Verlag.opf --language=de             
	Book Producer       : calibre (0.6.34) [http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net]
	Series              : PRZ34-TERRANOVA #1
	Timestamp           : 2009-05-31 16:40:00
	Published           : 2009-05-31 16:40:00

Book Producer       : calibre (0.6.34) [http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net]
	Series              : PRZ34-TERRANOVA #1
	Timestamp           : 2009-05-31 16:40:00
	Published           : 2009-05-31 16:40:00
~/Documents/eBooks/Pabel Moewig Verlag/Perry Rhodan Nr. 2300 (212)  Darwin  martin@macpro-eth1  Mo Jan 18 16:46:03  standart  0
Note that I have 200 of those - so fixing them all with the GUI is not feasible.

Regards

Martin
Attached Files
File Type: opf Perry Rhodan Nr. 2300 - Pabel Moewig Verlag.opf (1.1 KB, 559 views)

Last edited by krischik; 01-18-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added more explanation
Old 01-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
krischik
Addict

Exclamation Set metadata from filename only

When I wanted to try setting the author and title which should be supported by any format I got:

Code:
>ebook-meta Perry\ Rhodan\ Nr.\ 2300\ -\ Pabel\ Moewig\ Verlag.epub --authors="Robert Feldhoff" --title="Vorboten des Chaos"

And with some more experimenting I found the bug. ebook-meta is honouring the "Set metadata from filename only" GUI flag. I had this flag set because I wanted to discard buggy meta data on initial import and then fix them with ebook-meta and calibredb.

Now in my understanding the command-line tool should not honour a GUI flag. If this can not be fixed easily then at least a warning should be displayed to inform the user that meta data is read from file-name only.

Martin
Old 01-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
ebook-meta doesn't set metadata in OPF files. There was a bug in it that could affect setting series info in other files, which I will fix for the next release.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
krischik
Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
ebook-meta doesn't set metadata in OPF files.
I noticed something else as well: I a directory contains an OPF file then ebook-meta does not work properly.

I noticed while debugging the following code:

Code:
	    ebook-meta						\
		....							\
		"${File_Name:r:t}.epub"				;

ebook-meta						\
		--to-opf="${File_Name:r:t}.opf"			\
		"${File_Name:r:t}.epub"				;
	    calibredb set_metadata "${ID}" "${File_Name:r:t}.opf"
It works the first time - but because I forgot to delete the OPF file it won't work the 2nd time. That is: the first ebook-meta won't work as the old content of the opf file take priority.

Martin

PS: Windows users: calibredb set_metadata might rename the directory - so you should not cd into the directory.

Tags
ebook-convert, ebook-meta