Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 AM   #31
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Can someone post some screenshots of Jelly Bean on Kobo?

I gather it looks like the Nexus 7. I prefer the way Acer did the Iconia A700.

That image is very much like what was the kobo arc on 4.0.4 ICS. That layout works for a tablet as most type with their thumbs so keeping the function buttons on the lower bar on the left and right in landscape is much more useable. Even in portait mode people use their thumbs and hold the tablet at he bottom. This whole new setup is designed for one handed use on a phone.What it appears the kobo "developers" have done is attach their launcher onto a stock android phone jellybean layout. I suppose it was easier and quicker than adapting for a tablet. It is obvious very little thought went into this upgrade and the minimal was done to get it out. Even Robins copy and paste description of new features displays the lack of attention to detail.ie returning calls from the notification bar. Kobo should have stuck to books and readers. They don't seem to understand tablets.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #32
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
We're live with 4.1.1. Everyone should see this update today.

You can fast track the experience by going to:

Settings> About Tablet> System Updates

Improved Search
Now leverages Google's Knowledge Graph by search either by text or voice to get instant spoken answers

Google Now – Predicts information user may be looking for before you even ask it based on location, time of day, history, calendar events.
It can show you how long it can take you to commute to work
Show you restaurants in your area
Tell you when the next bus or train is coming
Sports information
When travelling, give you flight information and inform you if your flight is delay
Return currency exchange rates

Voice Recognition
Text-to-speech is vastly improved and voice typing works without a data connection (entering emails, notes, etc)

Project Butter – improve responsiveness and cuts down on touch lag times and delays in launching apps

Expandable Notifications – larger, richer notifications
Actionable – Users can now act on a notification without having to open the app (I.e. Return a call immediately from the notifications bar)
Expand/Collapse notifications to see more or less details
Photos – notifications can now contain photos
Keyboard enhancements – predictive typing is improved

Security Enhancements
improvements in blocking malware

Face Unlock now uses Blink Detect so a static photo can't unlock your device
Would it not have been better making a list of improvements appropriate to the arcs capabilities.

Last edited by stevov; 03-23-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #33
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
After installing the Nova launcher yesterday, things were... decent. A bit of system lag, here and there, but otherwise usable. This morning, however, my Arc took over a full minute to boot up (normally takes ~30s) and is generally slow and laggy - especially when the wi-fi drops out (and it's definitely the Arc and not my router as my brother had no trouble on his laptop and I had no trouble on my desktop) and it freezes the system while trying to find a connection.

Now, to factory reset or not to factory reset? That is the question. It's a major task, especially getting everything back on... (10GB of music takes forever to reload over USB 2.0 :/)

EDIT: CRAP! Plugged it in 'cos the battery's getting low, and the battery icon stayed unchanged and (having to go into settings now to see this, of course) stayed listed as charging... Hooked it to my computer and it didn't get detected, though Windows beeped for it like any external mass storage device. Guess the USB port's dead. FUCK.

EDIT 2: A reboot fixed it. Gods only know why.

EDIT 3: Still charging (a lot slower than it used to, BTW) and the charging LED went out once it hit 90% instead of staying on while plugged in like it's supposed to. Ugh.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 03-23-2013 at 09:37 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #34
JKS
JKS began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
I hate this update. With the addition of the top bar the screen is noticeably smaller. But the biggest problem is that the device no longer recognizes my music files. It will still play MP3 files, but not WMAs. Can other please check if they have the same problem? I went to Kobo help, they walked me through the factory reinstall, I spent two hours at it and lost a bunch of photos and videos, reinstalled my music and the problem still persisted. I loved my Kobo until yesterday morning.
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #35
JKS
JKS began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
That's my favourite part!
I'll bitch and moan at you if you like. Tell me why it won't play most of my music files. MP3s yes, WMAs not. I wish I could undo this update, I don't need most of the new features it touts anyway. BTW I went through a factory reset and the problem still persists.
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #36
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Hello,

just installed the new version, and what is a problem for me is that we have lost the time display with some apps where the upper bar is not shown !
Before, we had the time display always available in the lower bar, now it's not always available as the upper bar is masked, and in such a case we must return to the home page to see the time, then return to the app, which is very boring !

Any modification in the future will be appreciated ! (or any solution to see the time without returning to the home page...).

Regards.
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
pilotguy
pilotguy began at the beginning.

Sounds like a dogs breakfast. I'm sticking with ICS...
pilotguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
philebus
Just another reader
philebus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Yup. A mess for me anyway.

I let it update and got an Encryption Failed message. Automatic reset. Lost everything. Music and video I can copy over again but hours and hours of game saves are all lost. Do these guys test this stuff? Seriously, this is NOT good enough. I like this company, I really do, I like the product. But I feel badly let down by this time.
philebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #39
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
For those curious as to why the ui is not in tablet mode here's the reason:

In the android source code for 4.1.1 in the file
Code:
/frameworks/base/policy/src/com/android/internal/policy/impl/PhoneWindowManager.java
you have the method setInitialDisplaySize()

within this method you'll find the following code:

Code:
// SystemUI (status bar) layout policy
int shortSizeDp = shortSize
        * DisplayMetrics.DENSITY_DEFAULT
        / DisplayMetrics.DENSITY_DEVICE;

if (shortSizeDp < 600) {
    // 0-599dp: "phone" UI with a separate status & navigation bar
    mHasSystemNavBar = false;
    mNavigationBarCanMove = true;
} else if (shortSizeDp < 720) {
    // 600-719dp: "phone" UI with modifications for larger screens
    mNavigationBarCanMove = false;
} else {
    // 720dp: "tablet" UI with a single combined status & navigation bar
    mHasSystemNavBar = true;
}
This will determine the type of ui to display.

The arc lcd density is set to a default of 213.
DisplayMetrics.DENSITY_DEFAULT is set to a default of 160.
size of kobo arc screen is 1280x800 so shortsize is 800.

So we do the calculation:

800 * 160 / 213 = 600.9

600.9 gives us "phone" UI with modifications for larger screens

I find this default phone ui a very glaring omission during the testing phase. A few more changes will need to be done if kobo truly wants a tablet ui on a tablet device but it's honestly not hard to implement.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #40
philebus
Just another reader

Great! now I'm finding that some of my purchased software is showing up as NOT compatible with this version.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #41
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Well, holy #$%&, it appears nobody likes the new update....except me. Having said that, I don't use my Arc for music and movies - just reading books, magazines, newspaper and web surfing.

No glitches. Tapestries/Discover work OK.

Anyhow, Jellybean ain't all doom 'n gloom. I actually get better perfmance than before.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #42
philebus
Just another reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Well, holy #$%&, it appears nobody likes the new update....except me. Having said that, I don't use my Arc for music and movies - just reading books, magazines, newspaper and web surfing.

No glitches. Tapestries/Discover work OK.

Anyhow, Jellybean ain't all doom 'n gloom. I actually get better performance than before.
I don't doubt that it means better performance - I was looking forward to it for that reason. My problem is that they screwed up getting there. I've lost some podcasts that I can't get again. I've lost hours of game saves. I'm about to lose a whole lot more of my time re-installing my software (that of it which is still reading as compatible), and then copying over my music and video files. I feel that I should have been able to expect better.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #43
stevov
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post
For those curious as to why the ui is not in tablet mode here's the reason:

In the android source code for 4.1.1 in the file
Code:
/frameworks/base/policy/src/com/android/internal/policy/impl/PhoneWindowManager.java
you have the method setInitialDisplaySize()

within this method you'll find the following code:

Code:
// SystemUI (status bar) layout policy
int shortSizeDp = shortSize
        * DisplayMetrics.DENSITY_DEFAULT
        / DisplayMetrics.DENSITY_DEVICE;

if (shortSizeDp < 600) {
    // 0-599dp: "phone" UI with a separate status & navigation bar
    mNavigationBarCanMove = true;
} else if (shortSizeDp < 720) {
    // 600-719dp: "phone" UI with modifications for larger screens
} else {
    // 720dp: "tablet" UI with a single combined status & navigation bar
    mHasSystemNavBar = true;
}
This will determine the type of ui to display.

The arc lcd density is set to a default of 213.
DisplayMetrics.DENSITY_DEFAULT is set to a default of 160.
size of kobo arc screen is 1280x800 so shortsize is 800.

So we do the calculation:

800 * 160 / 213 = 600.9

600.9 gives us "phone" UI with modifications for larger screens

I find this default phone ui a very glaring omission during the testing phase. A few more changes will need to be done if kobo truly wants a tablet ui on a tablet device but it's honestly not hard to implement.
Dear Kobo would you please give this man a job as he seems to know more than the ones you have working for you.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #44
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Yes, give back time ...really amateurish to have lost this function... Especially on kobo's own reading app. Who tested this upgrade?
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #45
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppowell002 View Post
Yes, give back time ...really amateurish to have lost this function... Especially on kobo's own reading app. Who tested this upgrade?
Quite likely no one did, at least not on systems that had been in regular use (would not surprise me to learn that they do indeed make the mistake of only testing on "clean", freshly reset systems) like most end users' would be.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote