Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
RsH
Enthusiast
RsH began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab A and PC + RCA RCT6213W87M Tablet + FiGo telephone
Selecting the output FONT - HJow?

I want to set the Calibre program to always use Verdana as the output font in any epub book I have it produce, but cannot see how I can do that. I have gone through the FAQ, etc., and see how to set the font size, but not how to actually set the font itself.
RsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RsH View Post
I want to set the Calibre program to always use Verdana as the output font in any epub book I have it produce, but cannot see how I can do that. I have gone through the FAQ, etc., and see how to set the font size, but not how to actually set the font itself.
The pdf attached at the bottom of this post may help you.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
You can set the default font in lrf output, convert to .lrf and then convert the .lrf to epub.
I do this sometimes if font is too ornate or just butt ugly.

Might seem a pain but easier than using an editor IMO and you can do a bulk convert for a lot of files at once if you set the font in preferences.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
SilenceIsGolden
SilenceIsGolden began at the beginning.

Device: Cool Reader on Android
Question Need help too forcing non-serif font for my books

"You can set the default font in lrf output"

Hmm... I have the same issue as the OP (since a non-serif font is generally easier to read on any screen). I tried the detour by way of an lrf conversion, but ended up with the same serif font from the original source (an html file).

This is what I did:
In the conversion dialog, I went to the "LRF output" section. There I picked 'Verdana' as the non-serif font family to be embedded. (The other two font family are set to 'None'.)

Am I missing something? I looked everywhere, but apart from that section I just described, I can't find anything related to fonts in the output file.
SilenceIsGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilenceIsGolden View Post
"You can set the default font in lrf output"

Hmm... I have the same issue as the OP (since a non-serif font is generally easier to read on any screen). I tried the detour by way of an lrf conversion, but ended up with the same serif font from the original source (an html file).

This is what I did:
In the conversion dialog, I went to the "LRF output" section. There I picked 'Verdana' as the non-serif font family to be embedded. (The other two font family are set to 'None'.)

Am I missing something? I looked everywhere, but apart from that section I just described, I can't find anything related to fonts in the output file.
I haven't used LRF for a long time, but have you tried putting
Code:
body {font-family: sans-serif}
in the Convert - Look&Feel - ExtraCSS box?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
This is what I did:

I just did it and it works for me. I tried a couple of ornate fonts so I can see the difference.

Verdana didn't work until I put it in the sans serif font box. (I actually had it in both boxes) and it worked fine.

edit: Some books can come out uglier though GIGO

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 05-11-2011 at 12:58 AM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
A point to bear in mind is that you can only specify a font that is actually available on the reading device and most devices will only have a limited choice. This is why it is normally better to specify a font-famiy rather than a specific font as it allows the reader to map it to what it has available. When testing in Calibre's viewer a specific font will tend to work as you probably have a large choice of fonts on the machine running Calibre so the results can be misleading as to what might happen on the reader device.

There are ways to embed fonts into many of the ebook formats, but as far as I know Calibre does not (yet anyway) do this autoamtically for most formats.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote