Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Douglas_C
Douglas_C began at the beginning.

Device: None
What To Choose...

Hi all!

This is my first post here and I'm a bit of an eReader n00b, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anywhere...

I'm looking at buying an eReader (obviously). At the moment, I'm caught between the Sony PRS600RC and the Sony PRS900BC.

I'm attracted to the Sony Readers because of the touchscreen which appeals to me for ease of use, and the formats they support (from what I can gather, ePub is the standard and it does that). They have support for PDF's which I would probably use and it can take Word Documents which I would also most likely use.

I'm in Australia, so the 3G in the PRS900 would be useless for me (unless there's a workaround to using another SIM in it), but is it worth the extra ~US$80 just for size alone, or is the PRS600 more worthwhile or maybe there's something beter out there that would be suited for me?

Cheers
Douglas_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have the Sony PRS600 Touch, and its a very nice machine, but I would recommend you see one in person first, if you can, as the Touch screen is not as clear as other devices.

I read word docs which I first resave in font size 20 as Rich Text Font (RTF), as I use Calibre to load my stories. Calibre won't send word docs to the Touch as its says the format is not compatible, but I am not sure if that's a Calibre thing or a Sony thing. I also read fiction PDF's on the Touch and they are fine.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert