Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
krushgroove
krushgroove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Buffing out scratches in light wedge and screen?

I've got several small scratches where the Sony light meets the reader screen, these scratches are on both the light and screen. They're not bad enough to make anything unreadable but they are mildly annoying. Has anyone tried buffing out these scratches with superfine polish?

Also, I notice the reader screen has a matte effect to it, so buffing it too much would make it shiny - does anyone know if this will affect readability (I'm guessing it wouldn't).

The reader with the light cover sits in my bag most of the time, and I guess some dirt particles got in there and were sandwiched between the screens for a while. It's annoying but neither part is damaged to the point I want to look into replacing them, so right now I'm just curious about doing a minor repair if possible.
krushgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
I would not buff it out! Clean it with a soft microfiber cloth or with a wet soft cloth with only a hint of dishwash detergent.
just put a fine cotton/silk cloth between the wedge and the screen.
I have cut out the protective Envelope where the wedge was coverd in the original package and put it on the wedge, whenever it's not needed.
Right now, when I know that i will not read in the dark, I remove the wedge out of the Cover - easiest thing to do.

take care

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
akira28
Nameless Being

I had two Wedges and both got scratches so bad I don't use them anymore. It seems the marks are unavoidable with the plastic that is used. If you try to buff them out you will probably make things much worse. If I were you I would seriously consider replacing the wedge with a book light that doesn't touch the reader's screen.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
krushgroove
krushgroove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the replies - I think for now putting some cloth between the light and reader will have to do for. Some soft flannel or similar would hopefully do the trick, that plastic is pretty soft.

IMHO if the scratches get really bad - to the point I want to spend £30 on another light - it'd be worth investigating plastic polish, like what's used for car detailing. That light ain't cheap! Luckily I got mine as a gift, otherwise I'd be a bit annoyed.
krushgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
c1yat
c1yat doesn't litterc1yat doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
I have gently polished the wedge with a very soft cloth and its removed what seems like a very light powdered coating that gives the matt finish. Its given a very clear and scratch free surface. Its almost as if the coating is where most of the scratches are. I'm more worried about the wedge scratching the frame as it does seem to move around a little in the case. Any thoughts?
c1yat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
A dab of Pledge works great, spray on a dab and buff, use the unscented or lemon flavor
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I haven't tried it, but I think a cd scratch kit might work.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote