Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
m1rtinski
m1rtinski began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
Question E-reader with large display mainly for PDFs :?

Hello,
I spent hours reading this forum to find which e-reader will be the best choice for me, but I couldn't decide. I just need a device which I will use mainly to read PDFs (including pdfs containing diagrams etc) It would be great if the device has feature such as highlighting text or similar..I couldn't find any information whether kindle DXG has such feature :? I think I read somewhere that it does but only for specific types of documents...Does anyone know whether highlighting is possible with PDFs both readable and unreadable ( images )? So far I've decided that the Onyx Boox devices are not a good choice because they are really slow and full of bugs. PocketBook Pro 903 seems to be very good but 419 euro seems too much to spend on something that I even can't try before buying it (the only option for me is to oreder it online). So I think the only option left is kindle DXG but I have some concerns about its ability to handle PDFs... I will greatly appreciate any other suggestions and comments.
Thanks.

Last edited by m1rtinski; 08-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.
m1rtinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
None of the eReaders are good for the type of pdfs that you describe, I use a cheap 10" Android tablet specifically for that purpose and for comics... far superior to any of my eReaders which are predominately for straight book reading whether fiction or non-fiction... you could manage it but it wouldn't be a comfortable experience...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I see posts asking the same question about PDFs and ereaders very frequently. It would be nice if there were a sticky on the subject.
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
m1rtinski

I read most of them but I didn't find answer to my problem...
I don't want tablet because I will read a lot on this device and lcd screen definitely is not a good choice( otherwise I would read these PDFs on my notebook). If the pdf are just like images (non-readable) maybe the problem with complicated pdfs will be solved...anyway if the kindle doesn't support highlighting on PDFs who cares whether they are like text or like images...The only problem might be that such pdfs are likely to be too "heavy" for such device ...
Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
To summarize many threads...

You want to take annotations? Then the SONY PRS950 is the best option - thanks to the touchscreen.

You want to just read? Amazon DX, thanks to the largest screen.

My advice? Get an iPad. The backlit screen does tire your eyes, but it's still the best handling of PDFs. Some people would recommend other (Android based?) tablets - but I still find the iPad to be the best option, thanks to some very neat PDF-specific apps (such as iAnnotate).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One of the rumors I'm trying to start is that one of the new Kindles will be a wifi touchscreen DX for under $200, with PDF features updated to K3 level, plus hyperlink support and generating PDF TOC (when applicable). Oh, and ability to round-trip annotations with Adobe Reader etc. If enough of us propagate such a rumor, Amazon will have to do it just to meet expectations of its shareholders.

Seriously, the iPad is probably the best portable PDF viewing device, but it would be great to have a significantly less expensive eink device for this purpose, if only someone would put in the effort. Sony-950 is the best of this class right now, but I'd prefer a wider, 4:3 aspect ratio so full page PDF viewing is more feasible.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-28-2011 at 03:51 AM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I believe the old Iliad readers gave a quite good PDF experience...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
m1rtinski

thanks for your suggestions. The ipad is not a good choice for the intended purpose for sure...I can't believe that after so much time still there is no one to introduce good e-reader for PDFs...maybe I will have to choose between Kindle DXG and and Pocketbook Pro 903/902. It is obvious that PB 903 is the best but its price is too high in my opinion...Between DX and PB 902 which one do you think will be better for PDFs :? PB 902 has 256ram and DX 128...Do you think the bigger ram will improve the performance even though these devices are running processors with the same speed (532mhz) :?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Just get an iPad 1 ... you can fetch a used one for around 300 euros right now. The kindle DX has been criticized by some as useless for real technical pdfs due to some reasons I'm not aware of (btw you can't highlight in the DX as far as I'm aware of). The pocketbook 902/903 sounds tantalizing... but not if you can grab a good olde ipad 1 for the same/lower price >_>

I use an ipad to store all my technical pdfs for work and it works like a charm. Come to the darkside... bite the apple... *hissssss* =P
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The 902 is clearly superior to the DX in regards to PDF support. Multiple zoom levels, column reading, scrolling etc etc
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Snoop youtube for an Entourage Edge. (not a pocket edge, it is 7 inch or so) It might do what you want, I don't know for sure.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
m1rtinski

maybe I will consider buying PB 902... As I said I am going to read a lot on this device so Ipad is absolutely inappropriate for such purpose...Actually in my opinion it is the most pointless device ever made... I have iphone and pretty good notebook so buying an ipad is waste of money...If I wanted to read on LCD screen I wouldn't buy an e-reader...Does anyone know how do e-readers behave if the PDFs are like an image("unreadable")??? maybe the size will be considerably larger but 532mhz processor should be able to handle this :? how do you think ? Actually I could live without highlighting feature if everything else is fine...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I searched a lot for this and decided on kindle DXG. 902 does have vizplex screen not pearl. This is a real disadvantage.

I upgraded my kindle dxg to 3.2.1 which lets me use superior pdf abilites of kindle 3.

Plus there is always duokan which gives you superior PDF abilities like taking annotations, reflow, multiple zoom levels, column reading.

Also i have pdfs which are made of images only. They view fine but changing pages take a bit more time than normal pdfs but still less than one second which is acceptable for me.

Last edited by reprep; 07-28-2011 at 11:51 AM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Armand
Armand began at the beginning.

Device: EE+PE, Samsung Q1P, Gateway tablet
I've searched high and low and here are the facts: Entourage Edge is by far the best option for a low budget - mid 200s- great large-screen, adnotation-smart e-reader. I would have never paid $450 for it, but at low price it has today, rocks! And because of LCD side it allows you to do much more that a simple e-reader.

Ps: I have owned many, many tablets of all available OS and EntourageEdge is what I call a "Zen tablet". If I want to play AngryBirds, I take the IPad, but when it's serious business, EE is the device I use (healthcare/research/article editing-sidenotes-comments etc). I tried other devices, they have major flaws due to small screen, no or poor adnotation, format compatibility, PRICE for inferior features. Only downside is weight, but hey, I'm not a ballroom dancer on my toes either to fancy about less that 1 kg only.
Armand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
m1rtinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
I searched a lot for this and decided on kindle DXG. 902 does have vizplex screen not pearl. This is a real disadvantage.

I upgraded my kindle dxg to 3.2.1 which lets me use superior pdf abilites of kindle 3.

Plus there is always duokan which gives you superior PDF abilities like taking annotations, reflow, multiple zoom levels, column reading.

Also i have pdfs which are made of images only. They view fine but changing pages take a bit more time than normal pdfs but still less than one second which is acceptable for me.
very useful information Have you tried this "duokan" ?
This Entourage Edge seems interesting but I just don't need the lcd screen...