Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
trott3r
Enthusiast
trott3r began at the beginning.

Device: kobo sage considering boox
Running 2 devices with calibre

Hello,

I have a sony prs505 and have just bought the amazon kindle 3g.
I am currently using calibre to manage my books and want to keep the sony running until i am happy using the kindle.

Is it possible to have both devices syncing with calibre or do i have to rename a directory before switching between devices?

Any other suggestions on how i could run 2 different devices together?

Thanks for your time

Martin
trott3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Just plug them in one at a time and you should be fine.

Just remember that the Sony will want ePub format books and the Kindle will want mobi format. This might mean that you need to do some conversions to make sure you have both formats in your library (noting that any books that are DRM restricted will not be convertable). As long as both formats are there, Calibre will automatically pick the correct format for each device.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
trott3r
Enthusiast

Okay so there is no option to switch device its just detected by calibre?

I could see it being confusing that way if i have to have 2 different formats or does calibre only show the formats that are compatible ?
ie since i have only epub and pdf, documents that are pdf will only be shown in calibre?

I just dont want to mess up my sony stuff while i get used to the kindle.

thanks for your time

Martin
Old 02-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you look under Preferences->Advanced->Plugins->Device Interface plugins then you will see ones for the Sony and the Kindle. If you select the Customise for either of thos, you will be given the list of formats it supports, and the priority order that should be used.

When you send to a device, Calibre uses this information to select the format to be used. If you try and send a book that has no compatible format already in your Calibre library, but has another format, then Calibre will ask if you want to convert the book before sending. You can have multiple formats stored against a book entry, so it is no problem to have both epub and mobi present.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
trott3r
Enthusiast

Okay, I had a look at what you said and i can see both devices have a plugin installed.

Are you suggesting that i change the settings?
or just proving that both devices will be okay attached to calibre.?

thanks
Martin
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
@trott3r, i have a Kindle 3 and a Nook Color. When I add a book into calibre, I always add cover and metadata if needed, then convert it to both mobi and epub formats.

calibre knows what format belongs on which device when you plug it into your computer, so no worries at all. You have the option to 'send to device' or to 'send specific format to device', but calibre know what will and will not work on any given device. Just plug in your ereader and go! (And send a donation to calibre's developer if you're of a mind as well for his amazing work.)
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Just plug them in one at a time and you should be fine.
Okay so there is no option to switch device its just detected by calibre?
Correct it is just detected. Just connect on device at a time.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
trott3r
Enthusiast

@jlmwrite Ok sounds like things are pretty much foolproof.

Nice one