Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Earth-based SciFi:
Earth by David Brin
Timescape by Gregory Benson
Darwin's Radio (and Darwin's Children) by Greg Bear

I'd also like to second IrishBob's (who obviously has impeccable taste) suggestion of McCammon's Swan Song.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #17
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I can't believe no one has yet mentioned a Canticle for Liebowitz.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 04:07 AM   #18
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Bloody Hell!, this is going to keep me going over Christmas ;-)

And a lot of you will find it strange, but I've read the book and seen the film, "the Road" by Cormac McCarthy and I didn't like it at all one bit in any form !!

jeff

Last edited by jethro10; 12-15-2010 at 04:20 AM.
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #19
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
Lot's of good recommendations, I'll add Lucifer's Hammer, by Pournelle.

I had a hard time with The Road. Never finished it, way too depressing, and I've avoided the movie. But I did like the book and movie of No Country For Old Men.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #20
Peadar Ó Guilín
Author of The Inferior
Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peadar Ó Guilín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 (soon...)
Paolo Bacigalupi's The Windup Girl is definitely Earth-based and sort of post apocalyptic...
Peadar Ó Guilín is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #21
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I can't believe no one has yet mentioned a Canticle for Liebowitz.
I was going to! Hard to believe that book is 50 years old. Recommended.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #22
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro10 View Post
Bloody Hell!, this is going to keep me going over Christmas ;-)

And a lot of you will find it strange, but I've read the book and seen the film, "the Road" by Cormac McCarthy and I didn't like it at all one bit in any form !!

jeff
We must be the only two heretics in the world! I tried to read the book and just couldn't make it through. Avoided the movie.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #23
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
We must be the only two heretics in the world! I tried to read the book and just couldn't make it through. Avoided the movie.
You are not the only one. I think I read about 50-60 pages before I realized that while the road might be going somewhere, the story wasn't.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Metro 2033 by Dmitri Glukhovsky
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #25
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
There are a few Asimov books that take place in "near future" that vary from the introduction of robots but before we had much space travel capability, to the start of space travel all the way to some hundreds of thousands of years like with the foundation series.
Nemsis is a fairly recent one, set on the cusp of near light speed travel.
Another one that is "earthlike" in a sense is Nightfall, a planet with multiple suns that is always in eternal light, except that once every thousand years when things go wrong...
then there is the popular "I, Robot" and others in the robot series.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #26
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Windup_Girl

Deserved Hugo and Nebula winner, one of the best sci-fi novels that I have ever read.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #27
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Great thread.
I just downloaded the Peter Watts series - looking forward to digging into it.

FWIW, although there's some overlap, here is a bookmark I had lying around related to this subject:
http://brainz.org/10-greatest-apocal...vels-all-time/

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #28
Udri
Udri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I would suggest you also consider books by William Gibson. They are generally near future cyperpunk.
About Cyberpunk novels (which are near future): Neil Stephenson is also very interesting, specially Snow Crash and Diamond Age.
Udri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #29
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
I was going to! Hard to believe that book is 50 years old. Recommended.
Agreed. Both the original short story and the later novel are excellent.

The novel is actually extension of the short story with the original short story intact as its beginning segment with very little alteration. There was also an excellent BBC radio drama version of the novel.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:37 AM   #30
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
Great thread.
I just downloaded the Peter Watts series - looking forward to digging into it.

FWIW, although there's some overlap, here is a bookmark I had lying around related to this subject:
http://brainz.org/10-greatest-apocal...vels-all-time/

Mitch
Thanks for the link.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote