Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #31
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Thank both @eureka and @Iņigo.

id=eink_fb is exactly what I need
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #32
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
It seems that using cr3runner to start Librerator wasn't such a good idea. It does start fine, but when you try to exit, strange things will happen. First, you won't be able to exit Librerator. (I think cr3runner restarts Librerator over and over.) After a couple of tries, framework restart may occur. Also, it can happen that you see the Amazon framework, but when you try to move the cursor, another cursor from from Librerator's File Chooser will pop up too, so you'll have both of them on the screen, and both will be moving. Screen contents might get mixed. Eventually, you'll need to do a hard reset. In a word, a whole lot of trouble.

The thing is, very, very rarely, it will happen to exit just fine. When I wrote K4NT instructions, I tested it (once though) and it did work fine. After Reventlov reported this problem, it did work for me once more in more than 50 tries.

To all those who experienced this - my sincere apologies. I should've tested it more. I chose to use cr3runner because it was the only launcher for K4NT that I could find. I know that some people reported that Kite also works on K4NT, but as far as I know, there's no update package for easy instalation on K4NT. Cr3runner had it, so I thought it would be easier for non-technical users. Iņigo did report that Librerator does work with Kite, and didn't report any problems.

I don't have K4NT myself, so I have to rely on reports from others. Many thanks to Reventlov for pointing out the problem.

I edited the first post and removed cr3runner instructions.

Last edited by Kai771; 12-15-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #33
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Librerator R1, the first official release of Librerator is out. Since GitHub doesn’t allow uploading binary files anymore, I attached it to the first message in this thread. If it’s something I shouldn’t have done, please pm me and I’ll remove it.

Compared to the original KPV, Librerator is much more configurable and has more features (at least at this point of time). They can both be safely installed on the same Kindle, and won’t affect each other, in case you want to compare them and see what you like better.

Some of the features:
  • works on K2/K3/KDX and K4NT
  • new set of bigger icons
  • Menus - in adition to the keyboard shortcuts, everything can be accessed via menu too
  • K4NT specific shortcuts (considering it’s lack of keys)
  • high configurability - almost everything can be changed/set editing defaults.lua configuration file.
  • all strings moved to a single file - allowing easy localization
  • user configurable keyboard layout, if you need to use national characters
  • added First Page Offset option - usefull when your book has first pages numbered as i, ii, iii, iv etc. and the real page 1 is actually page 17
  • added setting gamma through inputting value in a dialog
  • better support for CREReader - now it uses page view mode by default (tnx to dave2008), and hyphenation (tnx to tigran123). You can set not only document font as default (like in KPV), but also font size and line spacing.
  • remembers all user settings and opens documents exactly as you left them
  • Reflow config and following links now available for K4NT users too
You can see full list of changes here.

User’s Guide is available on wiki.

Thanks to all the people that worked on KPV, especially hwhw and houqp, without whom Librerator wouldn’t exist either. I’d also like to express my gratitude to Iņigo, who was extremely helpful in testing early versions of Librerator on K4NT, solving intial problems with making it work on it. If it weren’t for him, it probably still wouldn’t work on K4NT (since I don’t have one and nobody else gave any feedback).

I hope someone finds it useful.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #34
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
Librerator R1 ...
Back from holidays

First of all, thanks for this impressive release.

Some comments:

* I've had to delete my previous "settings.reader.lua" manually. Not a problem

* BUGS:
- spacing setting does not work in CREReader
UPDATE: it does work on .fb2 files, but not on .epub
- left prev/next page don't work in CREReader
- in CREReader: fw_up does prev_page until the start of section, the other fw_* do nothing
- it should be a "bookmark deleted" message. Btw, why "ScreenKB"? IMHO fw_right would be better
- with "ScreenKB - Home -> exit Librerator"
. in "book", it closes book
. in "last documents", it does nothing

* WISHES for CREReader:
- margins are too big, an option to configure them, specially left/right
- [ADDED] fw_left, fw_right to -10/+10 pages
- option to customize crereader header font size (can it be modified in code? I can't find the value in defaults.lua)
- a key shorcut to toggle crereader header on and off (or... see next point)
- integrate "crereader header" and "info" as the same option

The only missing data in "info" is book's author, title, and progress bar with sections marks. If you add them to "info", crereader header would be redundant, so I could disable it permantly.

Thanks a lot,
Iņigo

Last edited by Iņigo; 01-08-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added fw_left, fw_right key shorcuts suggestion
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
Kai771
Just a Noob

@Iņigo
Welcome back! I hope you had a great holiday.

Thank you very much for your comments, I really appreciate it (all the more since you're the only one that bothered commenting).
Quote:
* I've had to delete my previous "settings.reader.lua" manually. Not a problem
Yeah, the structure of settings.reader.lua changed a bit, sorry. I didn't think anyone would try to install it OVER the previous version.
Quote:
* BUGS:
- spacing setting does not work in CREReader
UPDATE: it does work on .fb2 files, but not on .epub
Actually, it does work on .epub too. It just doesn't work on all .epub. I don't know why. On the same .epub files that it didn't work in Librerator, it also didn't work in Cool Reader 3, so I can only assume it's an issue with crengine.

Quote:
- left prev/next page don't work in CREReader
Yeah, thanks for reporting. I broke it when I implemented K4NT specific shortcuts. I'll fix it in the next release.
Quote:
- in CREReader: fw_up does prev_page until the start of section, the other fw_* do nothing
fw_up/fw_down are meant to be used in scroll mode. Fw_up will not always go to the previous page (as you noticed it won't go over the section). It has to do with different types of navigation in crengine, and it gets complicated - you probably don't even want to know. Let's just leave it at "it should be used in scroll mode only".
Quote:
- it should be a "bookmark deleted" message. Btw, why "ScreenKB"? IMHO fw_right would be better
I think showing "Bookmark deleted" dialog would be annoying, since one can see that the bookmark under the cursor just disappeared. As for the other part - fw_left and fw_right are used to expand/collapse tree structure in lists. I know there aren't tree structures in bookmark lists, but there are in Table of Contents - and they both use the same code. So that's why ScreenKB. It is "Del" on K3 though .
Quote:
- with "ScreenKB - Home -> exit Librerator"
. in "book", it closes book
. in "last documents", it does nothing
ScreenKB - Home does exit Librerator in Emulator. Why it doesn't on real K4NT - no idea, and I'm afraid I can't fix it without having the real K4NT myself.

As for "last documents", I noticed it after I released it. I'll fix that in the next release. In the meantime, use Back-ScreenKB-Home to exit from "last documents" .
Quote:
* WISHES for CREReader:
- margins are too big, an option to configure them, specially left/right
mayabtlaloc also asked for configurable margins. I'll repeat what I answered to him: I'm not really familiar with crengine api. If someone finds the needed functions and documents them, I might be able to add it to Librerator. Otherwise, there's nothing I can do. On the other hand, I myself find the margins just right though, and don't consider it a priority.
Quote:
- [ADDED] fw_left, fw_right to -10/+10 pages
fw_keys are used for panning. Making them do different things in different readers would be both confusing and complicated to implement. There is -10/+10 pages in Librerator - only it's mapped to Shift-fw_left/Shift-fw_right. There just wasn't enough keys on K4NT. I did consider adding it as you suggested, but I thought not many people would use it, and being naturally lazy, I decided to make my life easier .
Quote:
- option to customize crereader header font size (can it be modified in code? I can't find the value in defaults.lua)
No, it can't be changed. It would require including one more function from the crereader api, making another input box (or entry in defaults.lua) etc, etc... (again me being lazy ) Is it really that needed?
Quote:
- a key shorcut to toggle crereader header on and off (or... see next point)
There is one - It's Shift-Home . Seriously, there just isn't enough keys on K4NT.
Quote:
- integrate "crereader header" and "info" as the same option
The only missing data in "info" is book's author, title, and progress bar with sections marks. If you add them to "info", crereader header would be redundant, so I could disable it permantly.
Easier said than done. Too much work. I suppose adding author and title won't be that much work, but progress bar with section marks... nah, don't won't to bother with it. Maybe a default.lua option to make Home display crereader header in crereader instead of info would suffice?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #36
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Hi,

[settings.reader.lua changed]
Not a problem

[line spacing]
I see. A very minor issue

[left prev/next page] Yeah, thanks for reporting. I broke it when I implemented K4NT specific shortcuts. I'll fix it in the next release.
Thanks a lot. Any ETA?

fw_up/fw_down are meant to be used in scroll mode
fw_keys are used for panning. Making them do different things in different readers would be both confusing and complicated to implement. There is -10/+10 pages in Librerator - only it's mapped to Shift-fw_left/Shift-fw_right. There just wasn't enough keys on K4NT. I did consider adding it as you suggested, but I thought not many people would use it, and being naturally lazy, I decided to make my life easier .

AFAIK pan/zoom are not useful inside CREReader, couldn't it test for reader type so we could use those keys for other purposes in CREReader? f.e. -10/+10 pages ;-) Would be lot of work?

I think showing "Bookmark deleted" dialog would be annoying, since one can see that the bookmark under the cursor just disappeared. As for the other part - fw_left and fw_right are used to expand/collapse tree structure in lists. I know there aren't tree structures in bookmark lists, but there are in Table of Contents - and they both use the same code. So that's why ScreenKB. It is "Del" on K3 though .
Ok, I understand.

ScreenKB - Home does exit Librerator in Emulator. Why it doesn't on real K4NT - no idea, and I'm afraid I can't fix it without having the real K4NT myself.
Is there any test I could do?

[margins]
Strangely enough, after testing more books, margins are ok with .fb2 files and even other .epub files, so no an issue either.

[Changing CREReader header font size]
No, it can't be changed. It would require including one more function from the crereader api, making another input box (or entry in defaults.lua) etc, etc... (again me being lazy ) Is it really that needed?
There is one - It's Shift-Home . Seriously, there just isn't enough keys on K4NT.

Easier said than done. Too much work. I suppose adding author and title won't be that much work, but progress bar with section marks... nah, don't won't to bother with it.

Playing with different fonts I finally found one not very big

Maybe a default.lua option to make Home display crereader header in crereader instead of info would suffice?
That could be good enough... not good... superb!
As info can already be launched from menu.

A final question, in keyboard is there a quick key shortcut for "enter" to avoid moving cursor to the "Ent" button? Home would be good.

Thanks again,
Iņigo

Last edited by Iņigo; 01-08-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #37
lovexiuxiu
lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: k4
hi,everyone

i‘m a k4 owner ,i want to install Librerator on it

but i can't install Kite on the k4

can anyone help me ?
lovexiuxiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #38
Kai771
Just a Noob

@lovexiuxiu

Hi, and welcome to mobileread forums . Unfortunatelly, I don't have K4 and I don't use Kite, so I can't help you, but hopefully Iņigo will be able to walk you through it.

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask someone far more knowledgable than me, and who also possesses K4NT to make a Kite update install package for K4NT, to allow easy installation to non techie users (* Kai771 whistles, conspicuously looking in NiLuJe's direction *) .

Last edited by Kai771; 01-09-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 AM   #39
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovexiuxiu View Post
i‘m a k4 owner ,i want to install Librerator on it

but i can't install Kite on the k4

can anyone help me ?
I can't remember how I did it... but, let's force the brains...
I initially used kite to run coolreader, so I presume the instructions I read are on those threads. Let me some time to review them...

Ok, you'll need jailbreak + ssh access + manual installation:

1. First, do yo have your kindle rooted? It's a must => https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...king#Jailbreak

2. Then, enable SSH access: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking#SSH.3F

3. Download kite.sh.gz from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=22

4. Copy file to your Kindle file system, uncompress and run:
# cd /mnt/us/path_where_you_put_file
# gzip -d kite.gz
# sh kite

More info on: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=53

Information taken from thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168270

Hope it helps,
Iņigo
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #40
lovexiuxiu
lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you very much and your sofware~, i'll waiting for it .
Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #41
lovexiuxiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
I initially used kite to run coolreader, so I presume the instructions I read are on those threads. Let me some time to review them...

Ok, you'll need jailbreak + ssh access + manual installation:

1. First, do yo have your kindle rooted? It's a must => https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...king#Jailbreak

2. Then, enable SSH access: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking#SSH.3F

3. Download kite.sh.gz from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=22

4. Copy file to your Kindle file system, uncompress and run:
# cd /mnt/us/path_where_you_put_file
# gzip -d kite.gz
# sh kite

More info on: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=53

Information taken from thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=168270

Hope it helps,
Iņigo
Iņigo,thank you very much。

i will try it!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #42
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
Maybe a default.lua option to make Home display crereader header in crereader instead of info would suffice?
I was playing with the code, making "CREReader:showInfo" call "CREReader:toggleCREHeader()" when I've detected an issue:
when toggling off CREHeader, it doesn't keep book position, showing some past lines at new page start. I.e., previous page start is now showed at last lines of the new shown page.

Explanation:
Code:
X   X   X      1   6   B      X   X   X
1   5   9      2   7   C      1   5   9
2   6   A  =>  3   8      =>  2   6   A
3   7   B      4   9          3   7   B
4   8   C      5   A          4   8   C
3 scenarios. Each column is a page. X means CREHeader

We are at line 9 with headers on (page 3), when toggling off headers, a new page is rendered and we have to search for our past position 9 in the new page. Toggling on CREHeader again shows page 2 starting at line 5, not 9 in page 3.

Because of it, we have 2 problems:
1. toggling header on or off make reader confused as he must search for his previous position
2. toggling off and then on again doesn't keep book page

I assume each page offset is calculated considering page heigth, so these values are different whether CREHeader is visible or not. Is there an easy way to solve?
Is it possible to render pages at different book offsets which are not pages start?

Regarding ScreenKB - Home does exit Librerator in Emulator. Why it doesn't on real K4NT - no idea, and I'm afraid I can't fix it without having the real K4NT myself.
It's ok when running Librerator from command line, but not when launching app from kindle interface using kite.
Also, running Librerator from kite does not go to last book (it opens folder view), and does not allows device go to sleep.

Iņigo
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #43
lovexiuxiu

Quote:
本帖最后由 chrox 于 2013-1-9 19:50 编辑

论坛上最新的回复,如何安装kite

lovexiuxiu 发表于 2013-1-9 18:38

根据你提供的信息我做了kite的安装和卸载包,没有K4没做测试,所以不能保证可用。
update_kite_0.0.1_install-k4.bin (22.49 KB)
update_kite_0.0.1_uninstall-k4.bin (897 Bytes)

生成这两个包的命令是:

kindletool create ota2 -d k4 -d k4b -C kite.sh update_kite_0.0.1_install-k4.bin
kindletool create ota2 -d k4 -d k4b -C unkite.sh update_kite_0.0.1_uninstall-k4.bin
many thanks to chrox
Attached Files
File Type: rar update_kite_0.0.1_install-k4.rar (23.5 KB, 1060 views)
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #44
Kai771
Just a Noob

@Iņigo

Quote:
when toggling off CREHeader, it doesn't keep book position, showing some past lines at new page start. I.e., previous page start is now showed at last lines of the new shown page...
Yes, you're right. When turning CREHeader on and off, a slight drift backward will happen. I noticed that when I implemented header, but was unable to resolve this. It also happens on Cool Reader 3.

CREngine uses 3 ways that I know of to reference offset. It's been a while since I worked with it, and I'm writing from memory, so it might not be completely accurate, but it looks something like this:

1. position, in bitmap lines from the top of the document of rendered text.
2. pages of the current selected font, font size and line spacing
3. xpointer - like a link to a specific paragraph.

The problem is, if you're in a page mode, it will align the first line on screen according to the pages mode, even if you issue a command to line up to position (1.). As you already noticed, page calculation is influenced with height of the screen. If you have header on, you have more pages. I hope this explanation makes some sense. I don't remember which I used, but believe me when I tell you that it's the best I could do. You just can't have page begin from the same line with both header on and off. It might be possible to save the possition, when you turn header off, and restore it when you turn it back on, but this complicates things a lot. There's no guarantee that user will just turn it off then immediatelly on. What if she turns a couple of pages? Then it would bring her back to the position she was at when she last had header on.

You might have better results if instead of turning CREheader off you switch to scroll mode and than back (scroll mode doesn't show header).

Quote:
Regarding ScreenKB - Home does exit Librerator in Emulator. Why it doesn't on real K4NT - no idea, and I'm afraid I can't fix it without having the real K4NT myself.
It's ok when running Librerator from command line, but not when launching app from kindle interface using kite.
Also, running Librerator from kite does not go to last book (it opens folder view), and does not allows device go to sleep.
I don't know why this happens, and can't help with it. It seems LBR has problems if java framework is used to start it (look above for the problems with cr3runner - you were very wise not to try it before your trip).

Starting with FileChooser is normal behaviour. You'd need to modify librerator file in kite folder to make it open last document (you'd need to remove /mnt/us/documents part - but maybe you did that and it didn't work?)

Anyway, I made "Show last documents" first item in the Menu for a reason .

Last edited by Kai771; 01-09-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #45
Iņigo
Guru

Thanks for your comments, Kai771.

Quote:
Yes, you're right. When turning CREHeader on and off, a slight drift backward will happen. I noticed that when I implemented header, but was unable to resolve this. It also happens on Cool Reader 3.
Uhmm.. CoolReader 3 drifts backwards too, but it keeps position after 2 toggles (off and then on).
I often do a fast show header / hide header to get a quick look at time and book position. For me this is the most important thing regarding toggling header.

Btw, thanks for the explanations.

Quote:
[...kit...]
How can I edit kite .pdf file contents? I've looked into them but only could see a StreamObject... how it is encoded?

Iņigo

Tags
application, epub, fb2, pdf, reader