Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: August 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
Sh*t My Dad Says by Halpern, Justin 11 13.25%
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler 22 26.51%
Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett 10 12.05%
Don't Sleep There Are Snakes by Daniel Everett 6 7.23%
The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman 5 6.02%
Life of Pi by Yann Martel 3 3.61%
Aspects of the Novel by E. M. Forster 6 7.23%
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak 11 13.25%
The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell 7 8.43%
Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #31
darthjoey
Enthusiast
darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.darthjoey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 - International
Well, I own The Book Thief as a DTB, and it is great. So I voted for it. I also now have The Tipping Point, since something screwed up and I'm trying to read it before Whispernet returns it, like what should've happened.
darthjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #32
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I plan to try to participate in book club more often. Unless it is something that I don't want to read.
The whole point of the book club is to read stuff you might not normally want to read. If you only read the books you want to read...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #33
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoey View Post
Well, I own The Book Thief as a DTB, and it is great. So I voted for it. I also now have The Tipping Point, since something screwed up and I'm trying to read it before Whispernet returns it, like what should've happened.

Can you disable Whispernet until you finish reading?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #34
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I plan to try to participate in book club more often. Unless it is something that I don't want to read.

I voted for Tipping Point because it seems like something I should read, but would not. All of the books sound good, so I'll be happy with any of them.
I voted for Tipping Point also. It sounds interesting, but I wouldn't cry if Sh*t My Dad Says won, as that's another already on my to be read list.

I try to read all the winners, if only to expose myself to views and styles I might not read otherwise. The only month I haven't so far (since taking part in the Club) is that one month where we had a tie and it was decided to break up into two groups of readers rather than have a tie breaker. That month I began reading The Origin of Species, which lost fair and square.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #35
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Just finished the Guns Of August last week.

Absolutely superb read. Its a dramatic retelling of the early days of World War 1. However, it reads almost like a soap opera with the author creating really vivid characters and situations, all very true to the actual events.

Even though we all know the outcome, the susoense is masterful and will keep you hooked. I'm a bit of a military history buff and found a real appeal in its non-technical, dramatic approach and I am sure anyone without such interests would still find it a cracking read.
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I voted for The Book Thief. Eye of the Needle looked interesting, but the synopsis in the first post didn't tell me much.

Jon, is it OK that I voted the way I did?

Last edited by John F; 07-23-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Removed unintentional quote
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #37
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Jon, is it OK that I voted the way I did?
Perhaps we should start a new book club...

Jon's book Club

Jon can select a book each month that we can read and discuss. What do you all think? Would it rival Oprah's Book Club? It would certainly be easier for "me" to run.

BOb
Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Jon's book Club

Jon can select a book each month that we can read and discuss. What do you all think? Would it rival Oprah's Book Club? It would certainly be easier for "me" to run.

BOb
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #39
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:

Jon's book Club

BOb
Wait. I know that you are making an ironic remark there. But it might be a good idea, if you keep also this Book Club going. In this case you would have more work, unless Jon runs his own Book Club. I like Jon and he knows a lot. He might have funny avatars (except the robot thing that ate Harry, that was genial), but maybe he will encounter the magic spheres like you did.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #40
glowhappy
lost my wits...
glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glowhappy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:

Jon's book Club

BOb

Seconded!! and only people named Jon can be members!
glowhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowhappy View Post

Seconded!! and only people named Jon can be members!
No... anyone can enter. But, the first month EVERYone doesn't love the book the club is over... since we don't want a book club where not everyone loves the book...

BOb
Old 07-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #42
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I voted for Eye of the Needle, have read (again just recently) the Tuchman offering three times. [Aside, The Guns of August is the only book of hers I´ve been able to find in any eBook format.]

Reading so much about the ¨classic¨ mystery writer, early this year I tried slogging through The Long Goodbye and found myself constantly changing to another book, wondering at Chandlerś highly touted skills.

Which brings me, Bob, to your interchange w/DixieGal and her comment about more frequent participation in the BookClub. I find it very hard to spend hours with a book that you don´t mind putting down to feed the dogs or cut the grass! Is not reading time too precious to be spent on books you can´t really get into when there are so many others to pull from the shelf? Saying this, I do say also that I´ve discovered many authors here on MR that I would never have thought to read that are now among those I watch for...just added The Book Thief on Calibre...but usually after a couple of chapters if it´s not clicking I don´t feel guilty moving on.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #43
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No... anyone can enter. But, the first month EVERYone doesn't love the book the club is over... since we don't want a book club where not everyone loves the book...

BOb
Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #44
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I voted for Don't Sleep There Are Snakes because it seems a bit different from what I've been reading lately. I think I'll read it even if it's not chosen (which is looking like it might be the case!)

I read The Eye of the Needle a long time ago, and I still think it's one of the better Follett books. I've also read The Life of Pi. Loved that one! It's a very good choice if we want to have a lot of discussion afterward. It stuck with me for a while.

I bought The Book Thief a couple of months ago and started it, but I wasn't in the mood for it, I guess. I'll give it another shot if it wins.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #45
kennyc

Chandler has a good lead on.....Hmmm.....my vote is still available....