Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Reuters Article - with Actual quotes from Mr. Bezos

http://www.reuters.com/article/sarah...61410620091007

Some interesting points:

1. Bezos recommends dumping your current K2 and getting the new International model - no plans to upgrade the K2 to ATT capability - stuck with Sprint for US -only Whispernet. No wonder Amazon has discounted the new K2 pricing (I think Daffy picked up on this earlier).

2. No plans to offer DX International - no info at all on future developments for the large screen reader.

3. More tap-dancing on international copyright issues - claims 200,000 of the 350,000 books can be bought internationally.

4. "As proof of the way that the Kindle has changed reader habits, Bezos brings up an amazing statistic. Earlier this year, he startled people by revealing that of books available on both Kindle and paper versions, 35 percent of copies sold by Amazon were Kindle versions. Now, he says, the number is up to 48 percent. This means that a lot of people have bought Kindles (Amazon won’t reveal the figures) and that Kindle owners buy a lot of books." Quite an increase in sales volume!

5. Bezos plans to offer apps to new tablets to extend Kindle functionality - as currently for the iPhone.

This is the most informative article I've read recently from Bezos.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
That was interesting, Pooh. Thanks. There was something that Bezos said there about there being so many English-speakers in countries with a 'foreign' native tongue. I recall some years ago watching, here in France, an episode of the US TV series Oz, in which one of the characters -- a bright spark -- was watching a game show. The quizmaster had asked which country had the largest English-speaking population. The character immediately said, under his breath, "China". I checked the following day on internet, and he was dead right. Mind you, Kindle's international won't be available in China ... the biggest single English-speaking national market in the world. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Of course Bezos wants us to ditch our "old" Kindle 2s (if 8 months can be considered old) for his brand-spakin' new international model. How great it would be if I had the money to buy a new Kindle every few months! The internationals version doesn't add much in most countries. I wouldn't pay an extra 2 bucks per book just to avoid downloading it on a computer. I have to download it on my computer to remove the DRM anyway.

Quote:
Indeed, having a Kindle that downloads from overseas means you can get your favorite newspapers and magazines delivered instantly, at the same cost you pay at home.
So the $1.99 download abroad fee doesn't apply to newspapers and magazines? Or is the article misleading?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote