Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Astral
Astral began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
calibre and kindle 3 on ubuntu?

hi any kindle/calibre users familiar with the alternative/free os ubuntu/mint? i have some compatibility questions/concerns about switching my os.

on my current windows 7 os, i transfer purchases to my pc kindle, then, once on my pc kindle account, i go to the manage my kindle account and transfer to my windows 7 by dl an azw file which i then transfer to my kindle. (i don't have a wireless card/router so i have to transfer via usb i also like this because i don't get charged?) what is whisper net? i know its not a free service?

what i want to be able to do is, (i heard calibre can access my amazon account directly from the interface but not sure if that's really true or if only true on 7 and not ubuntu) if it is true, can i still buy free/paid books for my kindle3, transfer them to calibre/or kindle pc thru wine, "manage my account" on calibre/kindle wine then dl the azw file, transfer the azw to my home folder on ubuntu, then copy/paste to my kindle3 folder on my kindle?

help would be very much appreciated from linux users. i didnt know where to ask this.
Astral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You will not have issues with your Kindle on Linux. The process is very simple, access your Amazon account through the website. Then download your books to your computer. You can then import the books into calibre.

By the way. calibre has a native Linux version. You will want to use the binary installer from http://calibre-ebook.com as Ubuntu often ships broken calibre packages.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert