Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
Styles in Sigil but none in calibre?

Hello

I created an ePub from scratch within Sigil. All looks fine with bolded and italic text.

When I import into calibre the formatting is ok but the heading tags are not bold, the italics are missing. I tried creating a stylesheet in Sigil and linked it to the pages however still have the same problem.

What's wrong?
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know this might come across as somewhat mean, but we're not mind readers. Either sharing the whole ePub, or a representative sample of it, or even the CSS and and some of the markup being used would make the job of helping you a whole lot easier!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Hi Peter.

Not mean at all. Sorry for not providing the info. I'll remember in future.

Anyway, an update here. All looks fine in iBooks, so the problem is with Calibre's viewer. I then updated it to latest (v2.6.0) and it seems ok now!
Old 10-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
What was the point of opening it in Calibre? If you have a good epub (use the built-in Flight Crew validator, and if you're anal or plan to upload it to Apple iBooks then also use the online Epubcheck) there's no upside and a possible downside in running it through another editing software.

(IMHO, of course!)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
neonbible
Addict

I use Calibre to convert to MOBI format, since I read on a Kindle.

My workflow usually involves using the Calibre viewer to check it looks ok. It always worked well so was surprised the problem was there.
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbible View Post
I use Calibre to convert to MOBI format, since I read on a Kindle.

My workflow usually involves using the Calibre viewer to check it looks ok. It always worked well so was surprised the problem was there.
AZW3 is the better format for newer Kindles
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
What was the point of opening it in Calibre? If you have a good epub (use the built-in Flight Crew validator, and if you're anal or plan to upload it to Apple iBooks then also use the online Epubcheck) there's no upside and a possible downside in running it through another editing software.

(IMHO, of course!)
Do not use FlightCrew. It does not catch enough errors. Use Sigil 0.8.1 and the epubcheck plugin. There's a thread about it in the Sigil forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do not use FlightCrew. It does not catch enough errors. Use Sigil 0.8.1 and the epubcheck plugin. There's a thread about it in the Sigil forum.
I use Flight Crew all the time; it's marvelously fast. Only at the very last do I bring in Epubcheck, which might find an error in one book out of four or five, most often in the form of a ghost url that Sigil somehow creates out of my WordStar html.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It seems perverse to convert an epub to Kindle any way other than dropping it into the Amazon-provided Kindle Preview program.

Calibre is invaluable in many ways, but I fear the Reader is not its best feature!

Last edited by exaltedwombat; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
It seems perverse to convert an epub to Kindle any way other than dropping it into the Amazon-provided Kindle Preview program.
Agreed. Incomprehensible, rather.

Quote:
Calibre is invaluable in many ways, but I fear the Reader is not its best feature!
Ditto, agreed.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote