Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #31
blackest
Connoisseur
blackest began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I don't want to bother anyone more with this subject, this is my last submission to this point.

I know all these arguments. I used them myself to justify my ideas of progress when I was a young programmer. And had no responsibilities towards the customers. When I got the next position I told them that I prefer to see them programming code rather than paying them debugging code.

The point I was made, has little to do with the old hardware. Although a new software may have problems running on older hardware, so there is a also a link to new software.

My point was - changing to a new, say upgraded version of QT, what improvements has it brought? Yes, I've read the log. There is no major change, like supporting ePub 3.0 (which by the unwritten code should have increased the major version to the consecutive ordinal, like 1.00 - instead Sigil remained still in so-called alpha, ie versions below 1.00). But this small, cosmetic change, simply dismissed a whole range of computers, probably the largest base of installed OS*, weeks only after the official cease of support.

It was not my point to argue anything else, including criticism to the author, older HW better than new one, and whatever else.

Besides I'm in this new game of eBooks only for some months, since I've got my (first) Sony, and imagine this would not help me any better in this jungle. I was also informed in a very recent thread that the calibre I had downloaded when I bought the Sony jumped from 0.94 to 2.5 in this short time, again leaving the XP support out ...

Sorry for this trouble, I'll stick then with the last versions that work on XP. I stress again, this was not criticism, just the need to understand the reasons for this citius, altius, fortius.

*AFAIK many Vista computers have been downgraded to XP. I did it myself.
There are a number of options for xp users,
1) build from source
2) use a different operating system such as linux mint mate (32 bit or x86) as a virtual machine or as a dual boot system or a usb cd/dvd boot system.

The easiest would be to install virtualbox download an iso image create a virtual hard drive (i suggest 8gb + , it only uses as much space as needed maybe 2gb of space or less). put the iso file in the virtual cd drive start up the virtual machine and install.
Minimum actual ram should be 1gb or more.

if you burn the iso to cd or dvd you can use it to run as a live cd or to install to your hard drive along side windows. another option would be to get get a program called netbootin which can install the iso image to a usb stick which you can boot from and install sigil too (8gb minimum would be good for use as a linux install on a stick).

You don't have to give up xp but you may need to learn something new. If you downgraded from vista it should go smoothly as your cpu should be compatible with sigil.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackest View Post
There are a number of options for xp users,
1) build from source
2) use a different operating system such as linux mint mate (32 bit or x86) as a virtual machine or as a dual boot system or a usb cd/dvd boot system.
The problem is if the processor is too old and doesn't support SSE2. Switching to Linux won't help as Qt5 won't work. The problem is that a lot of systems running XP are just too old to run Qt5.
Advert
Old 10-16-2014, 12:52 AM   #33
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is if the processor is too old and doesn't support SSE2. Switching to Linux won't help as Qt5 won't work. The problem is that a lot of systems running XP are just too old to run Qt5.
Chrome and Skype also I believe, oh and Autodesk Maya to boot - but Disney has plenty of loot

BR
Old 10-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #34
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Moderator Notice
Closing thread as unproductive.
Closed Thread