Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader & Aluratek Libre Touch
Oops! I put text txt files on Kobo Reader

Oops! I put text txt files on my Kobo Reader.

All right, I did it on purpose. I was hoping they'd work anyway, but they don't... I deleted them but it seems the titles of each book are still in the Menu...

Anyone know how to delete titles?
fglaysher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
fglaysher
Connoisseur
fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fglaysher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

...under Menu > Documents. For example, Book.txt is the title, but won't load, because I deleted it, yet the title remains behind...
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Text files work fine on the Kobo, but you have to create a folder called Documents on the Kobo main memory and then put your .txt files there. You can also drop in .jpg files and it will display those too!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #4
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
.rtf files will also work on Kobo.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #5
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by fglaysher View Post
...under Menu > Documents. For example, Book.txt is the title, but won't load, because I deleted it, yet the title remains behind...
I believe you're running old firmware on your kobo. Early versions had this bug with txt files. Current firmware works fine.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
fglaysher
Connoisseur

Thanks for the help. Does anyone know the link for where I can get the new firmware?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
omgfire
Enthusiast
omgfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Ipod Touch 4th Gen
Quote:
Thanks for the help. Does anyone know the link for where I can get the new firmware?
Just sync your device with the desktop app, or connect and sync wirelessly. If it doesn't update right away you can use Ctrl+U to speed things up.
omgfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
fglaysher
Connoisseur

I bought my kobo reader online and have border's desktop. Will that work? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
omgfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
I bought my kobo reader online and have border's desktop. Will that work? Thanks.
I'm not sure about the Ctrl+U trick but it should still work. I remember reading that the borders updates were 100% rolled out.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
fglaysher
Connoisseur

It hasn't updated. I still have version 1.4 (Jun 27, 2010). Is there some other desktop software I should have? I bought it from Border's.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
fglaysher
Connoisseur

I have the first Kobo reader, non-wireless, if that helps figure out what to do.

The Sticky Installation Instructions for Kobo-1, Release 1.8.1 doesn't seem to have any links to a firmware update that I can find in it.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
omgfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
I have the first Kobo reader, non-wireless, if that helps figure out what to do.

The Sticky Installation Instructions for Kobo-1, Release 1.8.1 doesn't seem to have any links to a firmware update that I can find in it.
Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the recent kobo wifi update. I don't really know much about the older release but I found this with a quick look through google.

Quote:
If you are still on 1.4, you will get this as part of the regular upgrade process when you plug your device into the Kobo PC/Mac Desktop application.

If you are on 1.8 or 1.8.1, you can force your device to upgrade by plugging your device in, starting the Desktop application and pressing Control+Shift+U on a PC, or Command+Shift+U on a Mac. This will force the upgrade process to start.
I'm not sure about borders but you could try downloading the kobo desktop app and updating it through there. You might want to wait for someone else to reply because I don't really know much about it.

Last edited by omgfire; 05-09-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #13
fglaysher
Connoisseur

I appreciate your help. I took your advice and installed the Kobo Desktop on my computer from their website. The Control+Shift+U on my PC doesn't work because I don't have the 1.8 version, but the original 1.4, so nothing happens and it isn't automatically updating.

I'm kind of stuck. Not sure what to do... open to all suggestions!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #14
omgfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
I appreciate your help. I took your advice and installed the Kobo Desktop on my computer from their website. The Control+Shift+U on my PC doesn't work because I don't have the 1.8 version, but the original 1.4, so nothing happens and it isn't automatically updating.

I'm kind of stuck. Not sure what to do... open to all suggestions!
You can always try contacting Borders or Kobo about the problem if you haven't already.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
fglaysher
Connoisseur

For some reason, after about 20 minutes or so, the update option appeared and everything seems to have gone fine. Thanks for your help!

Tags
files, kobo reader, text, txt