Notices

Old 10-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
rosshalde
Zealot
rosshalde began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Does Sigil have problems with Pages 5?

I exported the same file from Pages 5 and also from Pages 4.1
Sigil found all sorts of problems with Pages 5, but none from Pages 4.1.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Is anyone else familiar with hearing about it?

Pages 5 produces a fine epub that I view on my nook/kindle/iBook/Kobo, but the way it codes things is not what Sigil wants for some reason.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I would like to use Pages 5 if possible, but right now, I am still using old reliable Pages 4.1
rosshalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Would have to see some sample output from Pages 5 to know for sure. Does it, perhaps, default to exporting as ePub3? That would definitely make the ePubs incompatible with Sigil (which is limited to ePub2).

Also... I'm extremely interested in a "fine epub" (or any epub for that matter) that is viewable on a Kindle.
Quote:
Pages 5 produces a fine epub that I view on my nook/kindle/iBook/Kobo,
If you mean it's viewable AFTER you convert to a kindlebook, that doesn't surprise me. Kindlegen/KindlePreviewer is perfectly capable of accepting ePub3s as input.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-28-2014 at 02:52 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
rosshalde
Zealot

of course you are correct. the epub is viewable on nook/kobo/iBook. I view a mobi file on my kindle after i send the epub through calibre. I will look into whether Pages exports a epub3. Thank you for the information.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
What are the problems with the ePUB that Sigil is reporting?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
rosshalde
Zealot

screen shot of errors from pages 5 epub export

Screen shot of some of the errors. Let me know what you think.
The same file, if I export to pages 4 first and then save as epub, there are no errors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 8.36.44 AM.png
Views:	191
Size:	663.6 KB
ID:	130303  
Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosshalde View Post
Screen shot of some of the errors. Let me know what you think.
I think Pages 5 exports as ePub3. Unless there are settings within Pages 5 that let you choose ePub2, the output just isn't going to be compatible with any current versions of Sigil (not without a lot of manual fixing anyway).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Yup, that is ePUB3 alright. I sure hope that Pages has that export ability, since a lot (and I mean a lot) of readers out there will not support this. Only few reading programs will support it. One is of course iBooks although they only support their own flavor of ePUB3.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote