Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
ronaldl
Enthusiast
ronaldl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Draft of Sigil Guide v 0.6.0

Why was Fontin-SmallCaps.otf selected as the font-family of choice. I ask this question only as a point of interest because I have been using calibri.

Thanks
ronaldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Its the first free font I came across for doing small caps and I liked the look of it compared to a couple others I tried. Whether its the best font choice I can't say

I don't believe calibri is free to use in EPUBs but could be wrong.

Edit: Of course, the font is only used for the chapter headings. The font for the rest of the text is up to the reader to set on their device

Last edited by meme; 12-05-2012 at 12:57 PM.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Its the first free font I came across for doing small caps and I liked the look of it compared to a couple others I tried. Whether its the best font choice I can't say

I don't believe calibri is free to use in EPUBs but could be wrong.

Edit: Of course, the font is only used for the chapter headings. The font for the rest of the text is up to the reader to set on their device
Calibri is NOT free to use in ePUBs unless obfuscated, and even then, I think it's a delicate line.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
ronaldl
Enthusiast
ronaldl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I checked with Monotypeimaging.com and this is the reply that I received from them when I requested a license for theCalibri family.

"Since you are not selling the eBooks and you’re using fonts provided with Windows 7 you won’t need any additional licensing. However, in the future when you start changing for the eBooks you will need additional licensing. Please hang on to my information and feel free to contact me directly when this happens and we can work out the specifics."

All the best,
Amy

Amy Lombardi
Office# +1-212-389-6255 ext. 102
email: Amy.Lombard@monotypeimaging.com

Translating books is a hobby of mine and currently, I pass it on at no charge.
Ronaldl
ronaldl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Surely you can see the common-sense (not to mention the philosophical feng shui) of a user-manual for an open-source application making use of a font that has less restrictions on its use compared to others.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldl View Post
I checked with Monotypeimaging.com and this is the reply that I received from them when I requested a license for theCalibri family.

"Since you are not selling the eBooks and you’re using fonts provided with Windows 7 you won’t need any additional licensing. However, in the future when you start changing for the eBooks you will need additional licensing. Please hang on to my information and feel free to contact me directly when this happens and we can work out the specifics."

All the best,
Amy

Amy Lombardi
Office# +1-212-389-6255 ext. 102
email: Amy.Lombard@monotypeimaging.com

Translating books is a hobby of mine and currently, I pass it on at no charge.
Ronaldl
All I can say is, Amy clearly does not understand how fonts get transmitted in ebooks. If the books are distributed--given to anyone--that's redistribution. And unless I read my licenses very, very incorrectly, whether it's for money or love, that requires licensing. I'm not trying to rain on your parade--well, hell, you have their permission, so...rock on. ;-)

(I suspect that someday, though, Amy will get in trouble for that one.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote