Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 03:36 AM   #391
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I'm away from my main machine but it does look like I have successfully removed the hacks and unjailbroken the Kindle then, as I got a U007 error when trying to uninstall.

I think maybe I should reapply your jailbreak, see what version that gives me, then uninstall that.

The first jailbreak was definitely clarknova's, same as meem, but of course that does not come with the uninstaller (but adds the SS 0.4 tag).
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:53 AM   #392
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The tag definitely *didn't* come from a jailbreak. Adding a SS tag to a stand-alone jailbreak doesn't make any sense anyway . (And, no, clarknova's *jailbreak* doesn't add any kind of tag either).

A SS hack, on the other hand, is more likely to add an SS tag . Mine doesn't, but clarknova's (and most, if not all, of the previous incarnations of this hack) does.

To recap: In order to remove your SS tag, you'll have to reapply a jailbreak (either mine or clarknova's), and then apply clarknova's SS uninstaller And once everything's in order, uninstall the jailbreak.

[I was mistaken in my previous reply regarding clarknova's hack adding a SSi tag instead of SS, it does indeed add a SS tag regardless of the target Kindle's model, I misinterpreted the regex the first time ]

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-11-2010 at 03:57 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 04:13 AM   #393
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

So this is what I am doing:-

reinstall jailbreak (yours or clarknovas)
use the uninstall screensaver bin from clarknova
uninstall jailbreak (yours, since there isn't one with clarknova's bundle)
Old 08-11-2010, 04:15 AM   #394
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes .
Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 AM   #395
suecsi
Rock Chick

you're the best!!!!!

serious karma .....

I think the problem was not uninstalling the screen saver hack properly in the first place then, as the SS 0.4 is gone now as per the above instructions. I have posted a screenshot here as proof in case it is helpful for anyone else having the same problem.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-56292.gif
Views:	463
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	56498  
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 04:24 AM   #396
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There was a short period of time where clarknova's uninstaller failed to remove the SS tag, so if you were using an 'old' uninstaller the first time, that may explain it .
Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #397
suecsi
Rock Chick

Don't worry - when you manage to sort this out for the new K3 (which I am sure you probably will) I'll use yours straight away!

I'm not so fussed by the font hack but the screensavers are the pain - though I did find that if I went to the root folder on my Kindle where the original screensavers are held, and deleted a couple that I really didn't like (I don't mind the birds and some of the other pictures, but some of the author ones are scary!) and the screensavers still work ok minus the ones I don't like.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #398
pnt
pnt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
On an unrelated note, updated the usbnetwork packages according to pnt's suggestions .[/QUOTE]

@NiLuJe sorry about the late reply. Thank you for adopting my idea.

And I have a new idea, which makes easier to switch to usbnet mode without reboot. It's actually borrow from you that reboot kindle app when put "reboot" file into linkfonts/ folder. So I implemented to switch to usbnet mode when detecting "start" file in usbnet/ folder. I put the patch here. If you feel it's good, please merge when next release. Thanks.

Code:
--- usb-watchdog-helper.orig    Tue Jul 20 00:49:44 2010
+++ usb-watchdog-helper Sun Aug  1 16:41:08 2010
@@ -13,13 +13,19 @@
 # Lock file. We'll do a fucking lot of redundant checks to avoid race conditions... -_-"
 USBWD_LOCK_FILE="${LINKFONTS_BASEDIR}/usbwd.lock"

+USBNET_ENABLE=/mnt/us/usbnet/auto
+USBNET_SCRIPT=/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnetwork
+USBNET_BASEDIR="/mnt/us/usbnet"
+USBWD_USBNET_FILE="${USBNET_BASEDIR}/start"
+
 # Add the PID of the dbus-monitor(s) to the list of running daemons to kill
 echo "$( pidof dbus-monitor )" >> ${WATCHDOG_PID}
 # Add our PID to the list of running daemons to kill
 echo "$$" >> ${WATCHDOG_PID}

while read line ; do
-    if [ -f ${USBWD_REBOOT_FILE} -a ! -f ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE} ] ; then
+    if [ -f ${USBWD_REBOOT_FILE} -a ! -f ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE} -o -f ${USBWD_USBNET_FILE} -a ! -f ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE} ] ; then
         # We asked for a reboot on unplug, and we're not already locked in a reboot session, let's see...
         echo ${line} | grep usbPlugOut > /dev/null 2>&1
         if [ $? -eq 0 ] ; then
@@ -28,7 +34,7 @@
                 # We're still not in a locked session, assume we're the first, and lock using our PID.
                 echo "$$" > ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE}
                 # We really want to avoid running two restarts in case the Kindle did something weird with it's usbPlugOut event, or if we got more than one watchdog running (which would be a bug :p)
-                if [ -f ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE} -a "$( cat ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE} 2> /dev/null )" == "$$" ] ; then
+                if [ -f ${USBWD_REBOOT_FILE} -a -f ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE} -a "$( cat ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE} 2> /dev/null )" == "$$" ] ; then
                     # We only want to do this once, so kill the reboot file
                     rm -f ${USBWD_REBOOT_FILE}
                     # Log our restart
@@ -39,9 +45,29 @@
                     sync
                     # And restart the framework
                     /etc/init.d/framework restart
-                    # And then remove our lock file
-                    rm -rf ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE}
+                elif ! lsmod | grep g_ether > /dev/null && [ -f ${USBWD_USBNET_FILE} -a -f ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE} -a "$( cat ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE} 2> /dev/null )" == "$$" ] ; then
+                    mv ${USBWD_USBNET_FILE} ${USBWD_USBNET_FILE}_stub
+                    sleep 2
+                    sync
+                    if [ -x /etc/init.d/usbnet ]; then
+                        if [ -f ${USBNET_ENABLE} ]; then
+                            /etc/init.d/usbnet start
+                        else
+                            touch ${USBNET_ENABLE}
+                            /etc/init.d/usbnet start
+                            rm -f ${USBNET_ENABLE}
+                        fi
+                    elif [ -f ${USBNET_SCRIPT} ]; then
+                        [ -x ${USBNET_SCRIPT} ] || chmod +x ${USBNET_SCRIPT}
+                        ${USBNET_SCRIPT}
+                    fi
                 fi
+                # And then remove our lock file
+                rm -rf ${USBWD_LOCK_FILE}
             fi
         fi
     fi
pnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #399
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I'd probably go with something simpler, like the thing attached (with the proper handling of starting/stopping the watchdog in a script launched at the proper runlevels, like the fonts/ss).

But that's still only triggered on usbPlugOut, so that's not very useful IMHO. We can always watch for another event, but I don't think we'd find something really more practical than typing the private command in the search box. Plus we'd have to always use a script to launch/stop the watchdog at the proper runlevels, which we don't really need without this.

(Regarding the event in itself, if the Kindle kernel supports inotify, we could use incron/whip up a simple C inotify watchdog, but that's a bit overkill ).

If you really, really can't stomach using the private command, I'd suggest using the hotkey hack posted a few weeks ago .
Attached Files
File Type: txt usbnet-wd.patch.txt (2.5 KB, 454 views)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-13-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #400
msgeek
msgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Smile Succesfully hacked the screensaver on DX 2.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you've never installed any hacks on your device, you'll need the jailbreak first, yes.

Thanks NiLuJe, it worked flawleslsly! No more dead authors on my DX!
msgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #401
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No problem, here goes (it may not be completely accurate):

Sans_Regular.ttf: Used in the Settings & Experimental page for the explanation texts. Also for the dictionnary/note popups.
Sans_Bold.ttf: Used in the menus, in the top & bottom panel, and as the collection title when browsing a collection, and the inline text in the book & collection browsers (ie. the 'delete this item' stuff & co)
Sans_Italic.ttf: May be used alongside Sans_Regular or Sans_Bold somewhere ^^
Sans_BoldItalic.ttf: Used in the book list, for the collection names

Serif_*.ttf: Used in the reader, that's the font your books will be rendered with.
Serif_Bold.ttf: Used in the book & collection browser for the book title & author.

Mono_*.ttf: AFAICT, nowehere except in the browser, but I may be mistaken.
Sorry, But I don't understand how can I use my customized fonts ?

By replacing fonts in linkfonts/fonts folder with same name,
by editing linkfonts/fonts/bin/font.properties file
or there is some way else ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #402
bbildman
bbildman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Once I jailbreak 2.5.6 and install a new font, will the Kindle2i be able to upgrade firmware on its own, or do I need to do something more to enable this?? Thanks
bbildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #403
richardb
richardb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG + Kindle 3
Font for Chinese and German

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
@NiLuJe: Thanks for that font. Chinese and German letters all work fine. The only thing I noticed that was missing were » and « , but don't worry, I'm fine with what I have now. Thanks for all your work!
Here is the same font added with the missing » and «. Now it should be complete.
Attached Files
File Type: rar DroidSansFallback.rar (1.16 MB, 235 views)
richardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #404
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@meem: Technically, both. But for the sake of simplicity (and to avoid potentially messing things up), option 1 is preferred (switching the ttf files in linkfonts/fonts).

@bbildman: If you don't have any other non update-safe hacks installed, then you don't need to do anything. Official updates will install without problems.

@richardb: Thanks!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #405
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Ok, which TTF files I must replace ?
There are many fonts in the folder.
I think it must be easier, such as just put your custom fonts and restart, like screensaver hack, you don't need to define filenames in it.

And is there a reference for encoding options in font.properties file ?
For example .. can I use Windows-1252 or UTF-8 at the last of line like this line:
Code:
fontcharset.serif.0=sun.io.CharToByteUTF-8
instead of original value "ISO8859_1":
Code:
fontcharset.serif.0=sun.io.CharToByteISO8859_1
meem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet