Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-14-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
DaCrump
DaCrump began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Social metadata\tags

I'd like to stop Calibre downloading tags as quite often there are too many of them and most of them are useless, at least, to me.
I've turned off, unticked, 'download social ...' preferences and the 'Download metadata ... for the selected book' is also unticked. I've also disabled the Amazon plugin in the 'metadata download' section but it still downloads tags. I've stopped reading them. I just click in the tag box, ctrl-A and delete the lot.
Is this a bug?

Sorry - This has only just started happening after I installed 0.6.23

Last edited by DaCrump; 11-14-2009 at 04:24 PM.
DaCrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC google books also creates tags. If you disable that plugin you wont get any.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
How do add this to existing books in bulk?

I would like to add the social data to all my existing books, without changing the titles and other info, any way to do that?
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the next release will have a download only social metadata option
Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
DaCrump
DaCrump began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Thanks I'll disable the Google plug-in - what is the purpose of the 'Download social metadata.... for the selected book' It downloads tags whether this is ticked or not. Are the tags that are downloaded if this is not ticked not 'social metadata' tags?
DaCrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

that's just a bug. will be fixed in next release.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
What is the source of the tags from the social metadata? It seems to me that it would make sense to use an official (or the closest thing to official) taxonomy for tagging but also have custom tags that only make sense to me like 'read/unread' Would it be a good idea to separate the social metadata tags from user defined tags?
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

two sources: google books and Amazon. It's not a good idea to have two sets of tags. If you want your own tags in addition to the downloaded ones, just add them to the list. If you want only your own tags, delete the downloaded ones.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
two sources: google books and Amazon. It's not a good idea to have two sets of tags. If you want your own tags in addition to the downloaded ones, just add them to the list. If you want only your own tags, delete the downloaded ones.
Ok, but if I add my own to the downloaded ones but later, for whatever reason, download them again, will my custom tags be removed?
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
Ok, but if I add my own to the downloaded ones but later, for whatever reason, download them again, will my custom tags be removed?
IIRC, they tags should be merged not overwritten, but check to be sure.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfaine View Post
Your tags will not be removed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote