Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
How about Salman Rushdie?
I waded through a few pages of Midnight's Children and all that came across was Rushdie shouting "Look at me, how clever I am" - I couldn't get past that to what he was actually on about.
I think "Midnight's Children" is a wonderful book. Can't get on with "Satanic Verses", though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #62
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Shakespeare.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
To read? To a certain extent I agree with you. Shakespeare really only comes to life in a good performance.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #64
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To read? To a certain extent I agree with you. Shakespeare really only comes to life in a good performance.
I suspect even very poorly written and/or fairly dull stories could be made quite wonderful on stage with sufficiently good actors and inspired directorial interpretation.

By which I mean to say that I don't necessarily agree that good performances in and of themselves necessarily redeem Shakespeare.

- Ahi
Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #65
ahi
Wizard

Also, Lord of the Flies.

- Ahi
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #66
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
yes, that's true. problem is there are far more poor performances than good ones. In most of them I've seen you could actually tell that the actors don't understand the words they're saying.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
yes, that's true. problem is there are far more poor performances than good ones. In most of them I've seen you could actually tell that the actors don't understand the words they're saying.
I'm fortunate in living only an hour's drive away from the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford-on-Avon, so I've seen a lot of really good performances. Saw David Tennant in "Hamlet" earlier in the year; that was just superb.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #68
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
But at least I've been able to finish everyone of Shakespeare's plays that I've started. Which is more than I can say for Tolstoy.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
By which I mean to say that I don't necessarily agree that good performances in and of themselves necessarily redeem Shakespeare.

- Ahi
You don't think Shakespeare was a good writer? Many people would disagree, I suspect .
Old 09-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #70
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I love Classics. Moby Dick's one of my all time favorites.

I will probably load a lot of enmity on my humble self, but I just can't stomach Jane Austen on the whole and Pride and Prejudice more specifically. It's just so hard to get into and so dry ...
Dry????!!! The first time I read Pride and Prejudice, the first chapter had me laughing to tears.

But then, I couldn't be bothered to finish Moby Dick. I guess we don't have the same tastes in books
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #71
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
But at least I've been able to finish everyone of Shakespeare's plays that I've started. Which is more than I can say for Tolstoy.
Ah, well then! Clearly Tolstoy is a talentless hack then in comparison to the immortal bard!

Quote:
You don't think Shakespeare was a good writer? Many people would disagree, I suspect .
Really? In that case my post might just be an appropriate answer to the original poster's question.

- Ahi
Old 09-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #72
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
I suspect even very poorly written and/or fairly dull stories could be made quite wonderful on stage with sufficiently good actors and inspired directorial interpretation.
I don't think I agree with that. While actors and directors can rise above the material they are performing, its hard to get an entire company to do so night after night if there is nothing there for them to sink their teeth into. Many great actors and directors have hurt their careers by becoming involved in clunkers.

Quote:

- Ahi

I think there are so many good performances of many of Shakespeare's plays, that it is hard to argue that it is simply a few good performances that makes his work look good.

There were many other playwrites in the same era as Shakespeare, none of them are nearly as well remembered.

--

Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #73
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
The problem with classics, is that there seems to be a conspiracy of the whole educational system to make every child hate them. I was good at school and I liked it on the whole, but it still did a good job of ruining some authors for me.

I had to study a play by Molière every single year for 6 years. And then one day, I saw a performance (a good one for a change). It was a revelation. I had no idea Molière could actually be enjoyable!!! Years of forced admiration for the "comique de répétition" in "mais qu'allait-il donc faire dans cette galère" will do that to you.

(Note for the non-French speakers: don't ask, it's just too painful to relive those old memories )
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
The problem with classics, is that there seems to be a conspiracy of the whole educational system to make every child hate them. I was good at school and I liked it on the whole, but it still did a good job of ruining some authors for me.

I had to study a play by Molière every single year for 6 years. And then one day, I saw a performance (a good one for a change). It was a revelation. I had no idea Molière could actually be enjoyable!!! Years of forced admiration for the "comique de répétition" in "mais qu'allait-il donc faire dans cette galère" will do that to you.

(Note for the non-French speakers: don't ask, it's just too painful to relive those all memories )
Exactly the same is true for a large percentage of English school-children with Shakespeare; being "force-fed" him at far too young an age at school puts them off him for life. Shakespeare did NOT write for children.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #75
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Ah, well then! Clearly Tolstoy is a talentless hack then in comparison to the immortal bard!
- Ahi
Clearly.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote