Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 AM   #31
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Ironically I enjoyed "Turn of the Screw."
I'm stuck half-way through it, wondering whether to struggle on (and it's only short).

I agree with Gideon's assessment of Henry James - though TotS is the only one of his I've read; even if I finish it, I won't be going out of my way to read any more.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:29 AM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
What's with all the Moby Dick hate?
Padding. Without the excess baggage, it would be a great Mobybook. I love the characters and the dialogue.

Quote:
I guess I could vouch Ulysses is an over hyped classic masterpiece, or maybe I'm just not intelligent enough to absorb the book.
I suppose that makes two of us.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-21-2009 at 03:34 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #33
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I finished it, but didn't like it.
Re: A Tale of Two Cites.... I can re-read this book every other year and never tire of it! I guess that's what makes horse racing.

Quote:
And also Lord of The Rings
However this one I can easily agree with you. I couldn't get past the 50th page. I may be the last person alive to have not read Tolkin! (Nor bothered to see the movies!)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:01 AM   #34
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
However this one I can easily agree with you. I couldn't get past the 50th page. I may be the last person alive to have not read Tolkin! (Nor bothered to see the movies!)

Stitchawl
Put me in that short list, too. Tried 40 years ago & just couldn't get into it, couldn't now with the movie, either. (although I enjoy fantasy stories)
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:52 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I only got about one tenth of Ulysses before I gave up. Joyce obviously has an immense storehouse of fascinating and diverse information within his cranium, but the book reads as if it were written under the influence of LSD. It was interesting for a while, but I got tired of wondering where it was all going.

Yeah I'm there with "The Sound and The Fury" by Faulkner -- I've only made it about half-way through...it does seem like there is something there, but man!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I liked Tom Sawyer, but you're right about Huckleberry Finn being worlds better; perhaps part because it is still relevant. Despite the frequent use of that word, or maybe even because of it, Twain was able to deliver a powerful sermon on race without being "preachy." The gradual humanization of Jim from his first introduction as "Misses Watson's" property to "my friend" was flawless.
What word?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #37
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What word?
The N***** word, used to refer to black people.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:04 AM   #38
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I love Classics. Moby Dick's one of my all time favorites.

I will probably load a lot of enmity on my humble self, but I just can't stomach Jane Austen on the whole and Pride and Prejudice more specifically. It's just so hard to get into and so dry ...
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #39
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Put me in that short list, too. Tried 40 years ago & just couldn't get into it, couldn't now with the movie, either. (although I enjoy fantasy stories)
I find that while Tolkiens world is amazing, intricate and fascinating, his actual writing is pedestrian at best.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #40
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
War and Peace ... tried to read the dang thing eleventy times I think, and after awhile I just throw my hands up in disgust and start to read something else.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #41
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Re 'Moby Dick'

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
...but I loved that book.
Quote:
What's with all the Moby Dick hate? I was loving it a lot until I stumbled upon some Space Opera fiction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I love Classics. Moby Dick's one of my all time favorites.
Do you guys love all of Moby Dick - including the weird chapters?

I can see how there is a decent story in there (underneath all the blubber ); but I've always had a theory that MD fans skip the boring bits - am I wrong? Or do you enjoy the discursive passages?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:27 AM   #42
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
You write a book about the whaling industry and try to make it interesting then!
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #43
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
War and Peace ... tried to read the dang thing eleventy times I think, and after awhile I just throw my hands up in disgust and start to read something else.
I read War and Peace at a time I was stranded in Germany with nothing else to read, and that's the only reason I managed to finish it: I had no choice I managed to do it by skipping all the boring parts about politics and war in general and Napoleon in particular (I think - it's been a while) and reading only the romance parts, which I enjoyed a lot. They are quite clearly separated, it was surprisingly easy to do. May not be very practical in e-book form though.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #44
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Do you guys love all of Moby Dick - including the weird chapters?

I can see how there is a decent story in there (underneath all the blubber ); but I've always had a theory that MD fans skip the boring bits - am I wrong? Or do you enjoy the discursive passages?
I love the STYLE of it. Maybe that's why I have no problem with "Ulysses" either. If the writing style is good, I could avidly read a laundry list!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
One of the problems people commonly find with W&P is the huge number of characters, many of whom have very similar names. My printed version of W&P has its own bookmark, with all the main "family trees" printed on it. That's a big help.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote