Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 11:25 AM   #46
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle dx
Hi, Moejoe. Your recommendation sounds like literature.
Yeh I know that classic by James M Cain. And the movie. But that's dangerously close to real literature. No, that's not the direction I am heading. For literariness I'd prefer a bowl of other fish. Say Kafka?
I want something lighter. Much lighter. Ah the unbearable lightness of life...........
Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
If you want a truly great author who knows how to make you turn a page, then may I recommend the greatest crime writer of all time; James M Cain. I'd start with The Postman Always Rings Twice, then follow it up with a dose of Double Indemnity and then get yourself a little Mildred Pierce.

Here's the opening to Double Indemnity:
frui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #47
奔跑的香肠
奔跑的香肠 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I know some people always trash popular non-literary authors ridiculously. Sure, he may not be a good literary writer (seems he doesn't claim to be one). However, most of his stories have a beginning, a middle, and an ending, all well crafted to a point where it's freakin believable without sounding preachy.

So plz don't talking about his credibility as an author or his ridiculous rising to fame and fortune. It does not make sense. let's just say, dan writes enjoyable stories and he entertains.

Last edited by 奔跑的香肠; 09-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.
奔跑的香肠 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #48
frui
Connoisseur
frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.frui is no ebook tyro.

Yes completely.
Yet it does not matter that much for foreigners, as anything significant will be lost in translation sooner or later.
You see, with language and facts receding, plot goes to the foreground, and Dan Brown certainly excels in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Unfortunate about the poor quality translations. I suspect though what you see as a benefit (the language being easy or simple) anglophone readers would see as a failing.

I would guess it would be kind of like if a Chinese author seemed to go out of his way to avoid using any characters above and beyond the most common 2000 or so, even when there might have been better way to put things using characters that people with even a moderate education would have had no problem understanding.

Does that make sense?

You're bored, I take it?

- Ahi
Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #49
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 奔跑的香肠 View Post
I know some people always trash popular non-literary authors ridiculously. Sure, he may not be a good literary writer (seems he doesn't claim to be one). However, most of his stories have a beginning, a middle, and an ending, all well crafted to a point where it's freakin believable without sounding preachy.

So plz don't talking about his credibility as an author or his ridiculous rising to fame and fortune. let's just say, dan writes enjoyable stories and he entertains.
Dan Brown is an affront to all literature, whether that be the lowliest of pulp or the highest heights and Pulitzer-prize winning material. He is a symptom of culture rot, where our pop culture (that which was once vibrant and full of life) is now mush. Pale, tasteless, mush made popular by fake controversy and even faker outrage in reaction. He is to literature what autotune is to the music industry. Soulless, lifeless, devoid of life, this creature must be stopped before he infects others....*cue spooky horror music*
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #50
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frui View Post
Yes completely.
Yet it does not matter that much for foreigners, as anything significant will be lost in translation sooner or later.
You see, with language and facts receding, plot goes to the foreground, and Dan Brown certainly excels in that.
Makes perfect sense.

I also suspect some of the rest of his international success is based on translators that are more literary than him producing books that do not rouse quite the same sort of backlash in their own countries as is still evident in the anglosphere.

Maybe I should give one of his books' Hungarian translation a try...

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #51
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi 奔跑的香肠! Welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #52
frui
Connoisseur

Yes I've read some novels by H. Rider Haggard. He is very famous in my country in the early 20th centry.
I used to like vintage writers, but now I am seeking a new pace. Fast and furious, like roll coaster.

For aesthetism I'd turn to greater classics or poetries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Are you interested in older western adventure books too, Frui?

I suspect Allan Folsom is more like (in the good ways) Dan Brown than the below suggestions, but you might enjoy these all the same.

Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars Series

H. Rider Haggard's African Stories

- Ahi
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #53
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frui View Post
Yes I've read some novels by H. Rider Haggard. He is very famous in my country in the early 20th centry.
I used to like vintage writers, but now I am seeking a new pace. Fast and furious, like roll coaster.

For aesthetism I'd turn to greater classics or poetries.
Interesting!

Do you think you might like Iain Banks' The Business or Whit?

I found them both very interesting... the second one, Whit, nothing short of enthralling in fact. It is the story of the imminent-heir-to-the-throne of a small and very strange religious cult/sect... an 18 year old girl... going out into the world "among The Unsaved" to try to bring back her apostate cousin back into the fold. The story is remarkable, and not at all what you would expect in most ways.

- Ahi
Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #54
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Dan Brown is an affront to all literature, whether that be the lowliest of pulp or the highest heights and Pulitzer-prize winning material. He is a symptom of culture rot, where our pop culture (that which was once vibrant and full of life) is now mush. Pale, tasteless, mush made popular by fake controversy and even faker outrage in reaction. He is to literature what autotune is to the music industry. Soulless, lifeless, devoid of life, this creature must be stopped before he infects others....*cue spooky horror music*
One of the reasons that I keep coming back to MR is the very low occurrence of flame wars, negativism and nastiness.

The OP asked for reading recommendations for "unputdownable" books. I'm interested in that too and I've gotten some good ideas from some of the other posts in the thread.

You've made it clear that you don't like Dan Brown. That's fine--everyone has an opinion. So, feel free to ignore this thread! Why waste the time and energy trying to convince others who have a favorable opinion of him that they are wrong? It's presumptuous and intolerant.

So instead of more Dan-Brown-bashing, positive reading alternatives would be welcome. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #55
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
One of the reasons that I keep coming back to MR is the very low occurrence of flame wars, negativism and nastiness.

The OP asked for reading recommendations for "unputdownable" books. I'm interested in that too and I've gotten some good ideas from some of the other posts in the thread.

You've made it clear that you don't like Dan Brown. That's fine--everyone has an opinion. So, feel free to ignore this thread! Why waste the time and energy trying to convince others who have a favorable opinion of him that they are wrong? It's presumptuous and intolerant.

So instead of more Dan-Brown-bashing, positive reading alternatives would be welcome. Thanks.
And you really are taking what I say with more than the grain of salt in which it was offered Hence my walking dead allusion. But if you can't take a joke, then maybe you should stay out of this thread, huh...mmm..huh..huh... for taking all this a little too seriously for its own good
Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #56
奔跑的香肠
奔跑的香肠 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Oh,man...
he is only a poor pop writer, not an indoctrinated Islamic Bomber. why do you hate him so?
奔跑的香肠 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #57
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
hangs head in shame...plans on buying new Dan Brown when it comes out....

As for can't put down authors, I've always loved Ken Follet even before pillars and love Daniel Silva. Clive Cussler and James Patterson drive me nuts although both can tell a decent tale.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #58
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 奔跑的香肠 View Post
Oh,man...
he is only a poor pop writer, not an indoctrinated Islamic Bomber. why do you hate him so?

Do you know what is worse than the awful writing, the cardboard characters, the ridiculous and ill-researched factoids, what's worse than all of that? He's boring. His fiction is dull, it's not thrilling at all. Sure, I'm turning the pages fast enough, but I'd been turning them just as fast if I was reading a Dick and Jane book for pre-schoolers.

Here's some recommendations off the top of my head: Len Deighton, Alistair MacLean, Dean Koontz (pre hair-implants, when he still had a moustache), Jim Butcher, Dan Abnett, Christopher Golden, Robert Ludlum, Robert Harris.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #59
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Do you know what is worse than the awful writing, the cardboard characters, the ridiculous and ill-researched factoids, what's worse than all of that?
A not altogether untalented writer that is bitterly jealous of another writer's far great success?

- Ahi

Last edited by ahi; 09-03-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #60
rlparker
Ars longa

Quote:
And you really are taking what I say with more than the grain of salt in which it was offered Hence my walking dead allusion. But if you can't take a joke, then maybe you should stay out of this thread, huh...mmm..huh..huh... for taking all this a little too seriously for its own good
Wow, your response caught me by surprise. I'm sorry I offended you and that I missed your humor! This is the kind of misunderstanding that I really dislike to be part of and one reason I usually don't participate much in forums like this.

I was just hoping for more positive recommendations for good books.

By the way, the book I can't put down right now is "Kidnapped" by Robert Louis Stephenson. I guess I was supposed to read it in high school. If I did, I don't remember it. A really good tale!