Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Maybe stupid question? Sync possible?

Can calibre sync between comp and kindle? or if I buy a book from amazon, I have to transfer it to calibre library manually?
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Can calibre sync between comp and kindle? or if I buy a book from amazon, I have to transfer it to calibre library manually?
If you buy a book from Amazon calibre can't do much with it, since it will be DRM encrypted. Why would you need to put the book on your PC?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just like to have a back up of all my books. So I cant even do it manually into the calibre book file? What about books that i dl directly to kindle from feedbooks or here? Will caibre sync them?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Just like to have a back up of all my books. So I cant even do it manually into the calibre book file?
There is no reason to use calibre. Just download the file and put it on your hard drive. That will be sufficient to back them up.

I have never tried to put a DRMed book into calibre. I hear it will be added though. So, give it a wack.

Ok, I just tried it. It worked fine. I didn't get any metadata read from the file.. but it did add to the library and copy the book file into the calibre folder.

Hope that info helps you.

BOb
Old 02-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

It does : ) slightly confused though. Did you add the drm book from the kindle, or from a file you already had on the comp?

Trying to figure out what happens if you dl a book from say feedbooks.com directly onto the kindle over the air instead of dlin to your comp and then putting it on your kindle through the usb. If the calibre prog syncs the stuff thatll make it soo much easier than than having to remember what books i dled over the air, and have to put into the calibre book folder the next time im at a comp.
Advert
Old 02-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

More info. If I renamed the Kindle book to .prc it read the metadata perfectly. I have put in a ticket to request a .azw file be recognized as a MOBI file type.

BOb
Old 02-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It does : ) slightly confused though. Did you add the drm book from the kindle, or from a file you already had on the comp?
You were talking Kindle so I "assumed" you meant a Kindle book.

I downloaded a Kindle book from Amazon to my PC, and dropped in into calibre.

Quote:
Trying to figure out what happens if you dl a book from say feedbooks.com directly onto the kindle over the air instead of dlin to your comp and then putting it on your kindle through the usb. If the calibre prog syncs the stuff thatll make it soo much easier than than having to remember what books i dled over the air, and have to put into the calibre book folder the next time im at a comp.
Ok, if you are d/l from feedbooks, I'm not so sure why you need to back it up to your PC. Feedbook books are all public domain and you will always be able to find that book on line again anyway, probably at feedbooks.com.

Anyway, sure you will be able to copy the book via USB from you Kindle to calibre. No problem at all.

I don't think calibre does iPod like syncing of books. I think it can do this with news, but it is designed to move news from the PC to the device.

BOb
Old 02-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Thanks pilotbob : )
Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 AM   #9
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Another stupid question:

When I edit and put in the authors names in books that dont have them, they dont show up alphabetically next to other books by them when i sort by author. Any reason for this? Am I managing to do yet another thing wrong lol?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Another stupid question:

When I edit and put in the authors names in books that dont have them, they dont show up alphabetically next to other books by them when i sort by author. Any reason for this? Am I managing to do yet another thing wrong lol?
Do you mean in Calibre or on your Kindle? Are you filling the Author Sort field too?

BOb
Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Ah thats the prob, not filling out the author sort field! Thanks again!