Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
RTF -> HTML

Is there a script/standalone program that can convert an rtf document into html, preferably xhtml with css? Or, if not, a script/standalone program that can clean the garbage that microsoft Word output as html?
I looked on the net. I was sure there would be many such programs. All I could find though were either programs that came as a setup. Which is no good because I don't want to pollute the environment (my computer environment, that is ) or came from sites I wasn't sure about.

Thanks
Dave
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
if you want to make an epub book (which is xhtml + css + a few other elements) i recommend the feedbooks.com interface, which does not install (you create your book online) and which will make valid code.

hadrien is working on a wysiwyg interface which should be in place soon (if it isn't already).

if you don't want to publish the book online, you can just do a preview when you've finished creating it and save it for your own use.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
From Word, if you do a "Save As", and then select "Web Page, Filtered" as the output format, you get reasonably clean HTML from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
From Word, if you do a "Save As", and then select "Web Page, Filtered" as the output format, you get reasonably clean HTML from it.

Yep. Word and Atlantis both offer "Save As" options. I'm pretty sure that Abiword and OpenOffice can also "Save As" an RTF document to HTML.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

@zelda_pinwheel: Seems like a good solution, but I prefer something that is not web based.

@HarryT: Sadly, "save as web page, filtered" doesn't filter quite enough...

@delphidb96: I thought atlantis sank to the bottom of the ocean...
On the other hand: OpenOffice is a behemoth I'd rather do without, but Abiword portable may be just the thing. Have you tried it?
Advert
Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
@zelda_pinwheel: Seems like a good solution, but I prefer something that is not web based.

@HarryT: Sadly, "save as web page, filtered" doesn't filter quite enough...

@delphidb96: I thought atlantis sank to the bottom of the ocean...
On the other hand: OpenOffice is a behemoth I'd rather do without, but Abiword portable may be just the thing. Have you tried it?
I've tried Abiword. However, for a full-featured, word processor, I've found that Atlantis works very well. And while not free, Atlantis *STILL* costs only $35 to register! They're at: http://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/

AAMOF, Atlantis is my *default* wp for writing. (It added this nifty "copy as HTML" feature. )

Derek

Last edited by delphidb96; 08-28-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
you also mention in your first post you don't want something that comes as a "setup" which i took to mean a program which installs in your system (.exe). is that correct ? maybe i misunderstood. if you don't want to install and you don't want a web-based program i'm not sure you'll find many possibilities.

otherwise there is the option of hand-coding using a text-editor.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you also mention in your first post you don't want something that comes as a "setup" which i took to mean a program which installs in your system (.exe). is that correct ? maybe i misunderstood. if you don't want to install and you don't want a web-based program i'm not sure you'll find many possibilities.

otherwise there is the option of hand-coding using a text-editor.
Copy Con. Every Windows PC has the ability to do Copy Con.

Derek
Old 08-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
unrtf
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
you might want to use HTML Tidy with the options

tidy -m -b -win1252 <html-file>

There's also an option --word-2000 yes which is even more agressive.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Dave Berk
Fanatic

@zelda_pinwheel: What I want is a simple standalone exe, preferable cli based. So I could dump it in my directory of other ebook related tools that can be used from a USB stick on my uni computers...

@kovidgoyal: Thanks. Looks like what I was looking for..

@ashkulz: Thanks a lot. Suddenly I seemed to be swamped with options...

Last edited by Dave Berk; 08-28-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #12
shieldlp
shieldlp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I use OpenOffice Writer to check spelling, reduce the MS stuff, and on some magic way I have yet to understand, it converts all the punctuation to symbols that the Mobi Converter understand.

The software makes it very easy to switch from en_us to en_gb and it can use multiple dictionaries. I use a SF dictionary to hold strange SF terms, I use a Bernard Cornwell dictionary to hold all the Saxon/Gaelic/Arthurian names and places, I use a Pulp dictionary to hold all the weird profanity and grunts, I use a Language Dictionary to fold Foreign words and phrases, and I have a Slang dictionary to handle the multiple contractions authors use.

If I an editiamn a SF Book, th eactive dictionaries are SF, Slang, Language, and the default OpenOffice one.

The one fly-in-the ointment is the software won't find or replace a ^p/CR-LF that Microsoft uses.I still need to pass the final draft back to Word to change all the CR-LFs to ^l/CRs.

This last pass doesn't load up the document with the MS formatting garbage that swells a straight Word document.

Here is the link to get the free OpenOffice doenload:

http://www.openoffice.org/
shieldlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've used Tidy (or HTML Tidy) and it works great to strip the unneeded MS Word stuff from the file. Like Dave I removed the OpenOffice stuff from my system. While it is nice, it is a major bloatware application. I do not mind the exe installer or the time spent downloading the application (and the updates), it is just that the thing is a monster when it runs. It is resource hungry. It seems to be built with the same philosophy as the old Netscape rather than the newer Firefox. (Although with FF3 it seems that a lot of the old Netscape thinking has reemerged.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rtf html convert