Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
wayne5
wayne5 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Wink [B]vnc viewer for KPW2[/B]

I am new person here owning to I like linux. But I don't know much about that.
Just thanks.

Last edited by wayne5; 06-22-2014 at 08:54 PM.
wayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
you want to vnc out? or in?

not very much info mate.
okay, almost "none"
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
wayne5

Arrow VNC problem in KPW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
you want to vnc out? or in?

not very much info mate.
okay, almost "none"
I saw a video about somebody do it well. But I want a vnc viewer in KPW2 to get the desktop of raspberry pi.
Plus, I have a problem about using keyboard on raspberry pi to display it on the screen of KPW2. I only use Kterm in KPW2 to SSH to raspberry. But it is a new terminal so I am confused a lot. And there is a LXTerminal in raspbian so there are different. I also find someone make it from using the same screen. But I failed to install it by apt-get install screen
Thank you for help!!
Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
You'd run a X11 desktop on the RasPi, just with no monitor connected, but interfacing the input layer. On top, you run x11vnc to forward that desktop (rather than running Xvnc, read up about the differences). As for VNC viewers - maybe that kindlet-based version works, otherwise, mine might do: https://github.com/hwhw/kindlevncviewer - however, there is still a bug (a race condition?) and I never got around to fix it (feel free to do this and send a PR), let alone package it in a digestible bundle for end users.

Last edited by hawhill; 06-19-2014 at 04:18 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What hawhill said.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...559776#p559776

I actually implemented that on someone elses Pi about two weeks ago.
Full notes included there and a script.

Wasn't too tough.
Advert
Old 06-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #6
wayne5

I cann't get it about "install KindleVNC viewer: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showth ... p?t=150434"
There is not a lauchpad in KPW2 ,and I cann' t find one at all.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would start it via SSH or Telnet from the RasPi. Easier that way, no additional interaction needed. Or you create a launch script for KUAL (or is there one already?).

PS: For debugging and making sure that everything works so far, manually testing via SSH/Telnet is highly suggested anyway.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
wayne5

I don't know much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
You'd run a X11 desktop on the RasPi, just with no monitor connected, but interfacing the input layer. On top, you run x11vnc to forward that desktop (rather than running Xvnc, read up about the differences). As for VNC viewers - maybe that kindlet-based version works, otherwise, mine might do: https://github.com/hwhw/kindlevncviewer - however, there is still a bug (a race condition?) and I never got around to fix it (feel free to do this and send a PR), let alone package it in a digestible bundle for end users.
How to install x11vnc in KPW2? There is not a launchpad in KPW2. Would I do it in KUAL?
Old 06-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
hawhill
Wizard

x11vnc would be software to run on the RasPi, along an Xorg server (see twobob's link, and his idea to use Xvfb is pretty good, I guess). And a window manager and/or desktop environment, of course. On the Kindle, it is just the VNC viewer.

Start with running the viewer from a shell. You can care for KUAL later. If ever, if you read my post I just wrote, I suggested to not use a launcher on the Kindle at all. Just start it via ssh from the RasPi, once you have found out how to call it (manually on the shell).
Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
wayne5

Unhappy about install the kindlevncviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
What hawhill said.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/vi...559776#p559776

I actually implemented that on someone elses Pi about two weeks ago.
Full notes included there and a script.

Wasn't too tough.
From the site "https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=3"

I put the "vncviewer" to the directory of extensions. And I put thekindlevncviewer to the root of kindle paper white 2.
the menu I editted :
Code:
{
	"items": [
		{"name": "VNC Connection", "priority": 1, "action": "/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.1:22"}
		]
}

Last edited by twobob; 06-19-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #11
hawhill
Wizard

I don't know, you describe a step you did but not a problem you face. Also, you ignore my suggestion to start it on the command line first. But I think I can spot a problem nonetheless: You have kvncviewer connect to 192.168.15.1 on display 22 - the latter doesn't look right to me. I think you still need to get your head around differentiating SSH and VNC channels.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #12
twobob

No, that value after the colon is the Display reference number (as hawhill says) so you said "Display 22". you must have meant "port 22" thinking of ssh?

Generally VNC by convention is Port 5900 + XDisplaynumber, That is the default TCP Port on which the VNC service listens IIRC.

:1 or :0 would be the most likely, actual, display numbers....

Punch open your ports 5901 and 5900 for good measure.

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 5900 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 5901 -j ACCEPT

(or w/e system you use to lock out ports)

Connect to 192.168.15.1:0 or 192.168.15.1:1 ?

I'm only guessing as I don't know your network nor your hardware.

Also as hawhill said, install KTERM and run the program in a terminal via the backend's command line interface for more meaningful errors.

Last edited by twobob; 06-19-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #13
wayne5

I know about the port. On raspi, I input " vncserver : 22 ". Ok, I changed it for 1 in case of misunderstanding. And I apply with port 5901.
Would I type /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.1:5901 ?
I tried, but failed. And I and the password to the end of the code ,but It is still wrong.It said "...keypad..." and so on.

Last edited by wayne5; 06-20-2014 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #14
wayne5

Question error on Kterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I don't know, you describe a step you did but not a problem you face. Also, you ignore my suggestion to start it on the command line first. But I think I can spot a problem nonetheless: You have kvncviewer connect to 192.168.15.1 on display 22 - the latter doesn't look right to me. I think you still need to get your head around differentiating SSH and VNC channels.
I type /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.1:5901 and password
on th krerm. The error it fed back is :
Unable to connect to VNC server
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: line 11:can't create /proc/keypad: nonexistent directory
/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh: line 12 :can't create /proc/keypad:
Old 06-20-2014, 04:21 AM   #15
hawhill
Wizard

The errors about /proc/keypad are not fatal, you can ignore them. The single important error here is "Unable to connect to VNC viewer". If you run VNC display :1 on the RasPi, you need to run "/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.1:1". On the RasPi, you'll likely want to switch to x11vnc at some point if you want to use keyboard/mouse connected to it. For now, vncserver (Xvnc) will work fine. I hope the space between ":" and "1" is just a quotation error?

Errrm - you *did* set up USB networking and tested it, right? So you're sure the IP addresses are set up properly and you can make connections? Checked the firewall, as twobob suggested?