Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #76
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I know, but the switches (or the firmware) seem to be finicky.
I reported the official line and my experience that Kindles fo have a true off switch, finicky of not.
Fair enough. Your experience seems to be different from mine. We'll leave it at that.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #77
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Fair enough. Your experience seems to be different from mine. We'll leave it at that.

Shari
I gave it one more shot on my K2 yesterday. It seemed to have finally worked, but just now I opened the cover and Ralph Ellison was staring at me instead of a blank screen. My list of books showed up immediately instead of the boot sequence.

I just now tried one last time, and the reboot started a few seconds after I released the switch. I see no practical difference in this case between finicky and can't be done.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #78
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
switch to British Airways then
Well, for me it was the other way round. I was allowed to keep on reading on 2 KLM flights, and I was asked top switch off my reader on 2 BA flights.

Perhaps the crews themselves are a bit confused about instructions.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:13 AM   #79
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
Well, for me it was the other way round. I was allowed to keep on reading on 2 KLM flights, and I was asked top switch off my reader on 2 BA flights.

Perhaps the crews themselves are a bit confused about instructions.
I think BA started on Dec 19th, maybe you travelled before? Or of course staff may be confused. However as others have noted the security tape (though i think it was edited) did not mention that we could keep readers on - just in case I'll print the BA pdf before I fly again, especially on short flights being able to keep the ereader on all the time makes all the difference.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #80
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think BA started on Dec 19th, maybe you travelled before?
I travelled on the 18th.
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #81
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
Quote:
switch to British Airways then
I don't think they'll get me from Amsterdam to Copenhagen!

I'm flying again in a few weeks, so let's see if KLM got un-confused by now!
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #82
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzalicious View Post
I don't think they'll get me from Amsterdam to Copenhagen!

I'm flying again in a few weeks, so let's see if KLM got un-confused by now!
I want to go to Copenhagen, but I don't want to fly anymore. The US is like a fascist state at the airports ever since 9/11. So I'll have to content myself with Google Earth and Images.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #83
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I want to go to Copenhagen, but I don't want to fly anymore. The US is like a fascist state at the airports ever since 9/11. So I'll have to content myself with Google Earth and Images.
Oh please. Go live in real fascist state or take your whining to the P&R forum.

Last edited by ApK; 01-01-2014 at 04:58 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #84
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Oh please. Go live in real fascist state or take your whining to the P&R forum.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 AM   #85
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know if I would take my devices like my Ipad or my Aura HD to a plane. I mean I don't know why but I worry about those powerful security scanners at the airports where you must submit your devices, to somehow damage them or at least damage their memory, kind of like a powerful magnet would damage a computer's hard drive.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #86
Zetmolm
Guru

The evidence that security scanners can damage your reader or tablet is just as overwhelming as the evidence that your tablet or reader can interfere with a plane's electronics.

In other words, don't worry!
Old 01-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #87
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
deleted
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 AM   #88
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I don't know if I would take my devices like my Ipad or my Aura HD to a plane. I mean I don't know why but I worry about those powerful security scanners at the airports where you must submit your devices, to somehow damage them or at least damage their memory, kind of like a powerful magnet would damage a computer's hard drive.
I have flown with a Kindle for fivr years and an iPad for two without any problems. Toss in a netbook and work laptops with no issues.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #89
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Copenhagen is well worth the trouble at the airport!

Actually, the airports in Europe are MUCH stricter than the US ones when flying to the US. Lots of questions about where/why you go, having to take your ipad out of its case, questions about what electronic devices you're bringing, staring at your passport for 5 minutes, etc.. Nothing like that happened on te flight from the US to Europe. When I told them this in the US they said "Yeah, they think we want them to be that strict".
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #90
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzalicious View Post
Actually, the airports in Europe are MUCH stricter than the US ones when flying to the US. Lots of questions about where/why you go, having to take your ipad out of its case, questions about what electronic devices you're bringing, staring at your passport for 5 minutes, etc.. Nothing like that happened on te flight from the US to Europe. When I told them this in the US they said "Yeah, they think we want them to be that strict".
Interesting. One flight since 9/11 was enough to cure me of flying. Now my vacations are strictly by car and only in the US. No more border crossings.