Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #16
Cyrill
Cyrill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4 (black)
@NiLuJe

/etc/upstart does not exist on my system. I'm on a kindle K4.

Can I safely create `/etc/upstart` if it does not exist, or are there alternatives? I want to make sure my python script restarts after a reboot.
Cyrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:59 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No, the K4 uses a completely different init system, so that's not a drop-in replacement situation .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2022, 05:01 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure there are many many things with code to handle both init systems, but my mind is blank right now, the only thing that comes to mind is MRPI itself, although that's not exactly an "at boot" situation.

So, better question: What are you even trying to do in the first place?

(On the upside, screwing up with sysvinit on a K4 won't be as bad as screwing up with upstart on FW 5.x, as that can soft-brick a device veeeery easily).
Old 09-12-2022, 05:03 PM   #19
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
So, better question: What are you even trying to do in the first place?
Okay, reading helps. I should just go to bed.

Assuming it's not boot-critical (and it *really* shouldn't be), you'll want to start as late a possible, that means an S99 prefix in the right runlevel (I... can't remember what the various runlevels do anymore, just unpack any of my hacks, they set up stuff in the three of 'em. I want to say that main is 5? or 6? but, really just double-check).
Old 09-12-2022, 05:41 PM   #20
Wolf-HRB
Enthusiast
Wolf-HRB began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW4 and PW5 Signature Edition
could we use this to force downgrade or jailbreak?
Wolf-HRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2022, 06:21 PM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No, because catch-22?
Old 09-13-2022, 04:47 AM   #22
Wolf-HRB
Enthusiast
Wolf-HRB began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, PW4 and PW5 Signature Edition
may be we could try it, because the core for jailbreak is to make ;log xxxxx command to work, Thus, could we use this method to add that support back to the os?
Wolf-HRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:05 AM   #23
Cyrill
Cyrill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4 (black)
Thanks so much!

I will dive into the depths of sys-v init configurations. Seems you have all of the work already in your hacks.
Cyrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:08 AM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Wolf-HRB:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
No, because catch-22?

Tags
kindle modifications