Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-10-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
Cyrill
Cyrill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K4 (black)
Full System Backup

Hey Dear mobileread memers!
I've been reading here the whole night, decided to make an account and join the community!

I'm looking forward to run my own software on my freshly jailbroken kindle. I'll install python, so I can do whatever I want.

Is it possible to do a full system backup, in case anything goes wrong?
My first idea was to simply copy the root partition over scp to a disk on my computer. Would this work?

Cyrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 09:40 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Have a look at this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2022, 07:35 AM   #3
Cyrill

Indeed, that's what I found too. However, it states that this only works on touch screen devices.

My system is a kindle 4, jailbroken, usbnetwork and python3 installed. I don't have touch unfortunately.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:39 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That shouldn't necessarily be a problem .

(Plus, it's a K4, so, Kubrick exists).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:13 PM   #5
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
I vaguely remember using something like this to back up partitions over USBNet by piping them over using netcat:

Code:
# On host PC
`nc -l 19000 | dd bs=4M of=/tmp/kindle.img`
# On Kindle
`dd bs=4M if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 | nc 192.168.15.201 19000`
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2022, 05:51 AM   #6
Cyrill

You guys are amazing! Thanks for the quick answers.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:19 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Something to that effect might even be detailed in the MR wiki (possibly on the old and humongous Kindle_Touch_Hacking page), now that I think about it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup, kindle, root filesystem