Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Recommend me some good military/history mags

I've got a bit of an urge to read some magazines. Living in Japan, English magazines are pretty few and far between and when you can find them they're so expensive that they make international subscriptions look cheap.

Anyways, I'd really like to get my hands on a good history or military history magazine. It's been a while since I've been back to Canada so I can't remember what decent ones I've browsed through before. I would prefer something that covers a lot of different conflicts (ie not a Civil War magazine) and something that's not focused on just one country (ie only American or only British history). I like all different time periods but would prefer something that focuses mainly on events from the 18th century and on although I don't mind reading about the occasional ancients battles.
Any suggestions?
Here's what I've found so far that looks interesting to me. If people could give feedback on these magazines then that would be great.

Military History Magazine
Seems like a very good magazine.

Military Heritage

Seems like a good magazine, recommended to me on another forum and high rating on Amazon. Looks to cover a nice variety of time periods
Unfortunately the international version is pretty expensive compared to the US version (you can get a two year subscription for almost $10 less than the one year international version) and it's only 6 issues per year.

Armchair General

Seems interesting. International is an extra $12 which only works out to $2 per issue so that's not too bad.

Military History Monthly
Looks like a magazine that I've browsed through in the bookstores in Canada and looks pretty promising and while it's not cheap (36 pounds/46 international) it at least doesn't totally screw you over because you're ordering from a different country which is nice to see for once.

I saw someone recommend BBC History magazine too. While all of these magazines have a military bent to them I don't mind a general history magazine as long as it's good.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
in my experience, military history magazine is very good. our professor of military science in ROTC used to pull articles from it quite often for lectures
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert