Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #16
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
The kobo has a firmware in beta that will fix the side loaded books been treated second class issue. Side loads will soon have all or very nearly all of the same functionality as kepubs.
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:32 AM   #17
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
It may be but it felt much larger. I didn't care for the huge bezel around the edges and there was not enough trim around the bottom for me to hold it comfortably. The kobo touch just looks and feels better to me. So that is what I went with having compared both of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I know what you mean. If there were just a little more meat at the bottom of the NOOK it would make a big difference. I'm unable to hold it comfortably without a cover.
By 'bottom' I assume you mean the part were the nook-button is?
Why would it need more 'meat' there?

I have no difficulties holding that thing with one hand and tapping the screen with the other to page forward, or holding it on either side to page forward with my thumb either by pressing the page-turn-buttons or by tapping the screen.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
I have no difficulties holding that thing with one hand and tapping the screen with the other to page forward, or holding it on either side to page forward with my thumb either by pressing the page-turn-buttons or by tapping the screen.
Did I say it's impossible for anyone to hold it comfortably?

Last edited by SCION; 07-07-2011 at 09:16 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
It is an interesting observation though. Going through all the reviews both Prof and user the one common denominator has always been how extremely comfortable it is to hold and it's ergonomics of the back etc.
It's been lauded for this design.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
It is an interesting observation though. Going through all the reviews both Prof and user the one common denominator has always been how extremely comfortable it is to hold and it's ergonomics of the back etc.
It's been lauded for this design.
Guess it's based on hand span and finger length. JoCampo mentioned his wife didn't find it comfortable either. I thought it was odd, but I agree. Someone else stated it's too light for them. We may be in the voiced minority, but our claims are not invalid.
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Guess it's based on hand span and finger length. JoCampo mentioned his wife didn't find it comfortable either. I thought it was odd, but I agree. Someone else stated it's too light for them. We may be in the voiced minority, but our claims are not invalid.
nobody claims are invalid,but as we all know the voiced minority shouts down the majority on forums everytime

but I think trying to hold any product by it's full width can't be too comfortable. When holding the STR in the store I was holding it with my fingers curled in and the curved back just seems to be perfect. It was really nice, similiar feel to the nook classic. Has that slight rounded back that was so pleasing to hold.

but that's why everything ,when buying a product, is so subjectivable. Personally I think people, when making buying decisions put way more stock in other people's opinions, then their own.
If it feels great but other say it's doens't then who cares it feels great to you
If it doesn't feel great to then who cares if it feels great to others.

ultimately It's your money, and you are the one using it.

Last edited by boswd; 07-07-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch
I can hold the kobo touch comfortably without a case. With the Nook STR I can't. For my hands it is too wide (so is the classic nook). I wanted to like the STR as I already have a classic Nook and it would have been a much easier transition. Trying both of them at the end of the day Kobo meets my needs more.

I like that I can adjust the full page refreshes, the simplified and cleaner home screen, the quilted back is very comfortable and I don't need a case. The form factor is just more of what I was looking for. I also like all the options to adjust margins, spacing, and fonts. The physical buttons to turn pages on the Nook STR were so hard to press that for me- it wasn't an advantage.

My advice to anyone is that you should try them both if possible and keep the one that best works for you. That will be different for everyone based on their needs. I'm glad that we have so many more choices than we used to.
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I like that I can adjust the full page refreshes, the simplified and cleaner home screen, the quilted back is very comfortable and I don't need a case.
You'll be singing a different tune when you drop it and break it. You really DO need a case, for protection. These devices are relatively fragile; I would urge you to keep it in a good-quality case at all times.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #24
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'll be singing a different tune when you drop it and break it. You really DO need a case, for protection. These devices are relatively fragile; I would urge you to keep it in a good-quality case at all times.
I keep it in a sleeve when not in use or carrying it in my purse. Just not a fan of the cases out for the kobo right now.
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I keep it in a sleeve when not in use or carrying it in my purse. Just not a fan of the cases out for the kobo right now.
that is an area I think BN has everyone beat, especilly first party covers. BN.com really just has the best selection when it comes to covers for the nook.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 AM   #26
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Did I state the reverse?

No.

You told about your difficulties holding the Nook.
I told about how comfortable I find it to hold.
That's it.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #27
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Did I state the reverse?

No.

You told about your difficulties holding the Nook.
I told about how comfortable I find it to hold.
That's it.
Why were you compelled to respond in opposition?

Quote:
I have no difficulties holding that thing...
Clearly your tone is antagonistic.

Again, it's another "it's overblown". "The shelves issue is overblown, the fonts issue is overblown, the ghosting issue is overblown, anything that I don't share the sentiment of, is overblown." This view from folks is tiresome.

Last edited by SCION; 07-08-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: can't type today
Old 07-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #28
ST-One
Addict

Quote:
Probably for the same reason you were telling your interesting tale: your own personal experience with the Nook.

Quote:
Again, it's another "it's overblown". "The shelves issue is overblown, the fonts issue is overblown, the ghosting issue is overblown, anything that I don't share the sentiment of, is overblown." This view from folks is tiresome.
Oh, sure. Make it all about you.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #29
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
In all fairness, this is a discussion forum
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #30
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
In all fairness, this is a discussion forum
Meaningful discussions tend to revolve around the validity of different points of views garnered from personal experiences. It seems if you don't have an emotional attachment to a device and you voice displeasure with some aspect of it, you're cast off as someone who's making too much out of something. This doesn't apply solely to myself.