Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #31
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
I don't know how I missed your post on the LAST page, since I posted on this one... How bizarre! Anyway, Mystery lovers' Kitchen is a great link, thanks! Also, what's the "back story" you were talking about for the Fundraising series?
I'll pop in here for shel. Before I read the Fundraising book, I read "Priceless" by Robert Wittman (and got to meet him!). He was an FBI agent in the Art Crimes unit, and talked about a case where he was called to a Philadelphia museum where it turned out an employee had been stealing priceless artifacts. Then a few months later I picked up Fundraising the Dead (museum + cozy= so there!) and I read in the front that the author actually worked at the Philadelphia museum at the time and that was her inspiration for the book. I thought it was super cool
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #32
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Funny you should mention Priceless -- I just read it. Not a bad book, although he came across as a bit self-impressed I thought.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #33
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'll pop in here for shel. Before I read the Fundraising book, I read "Priceless" by Robert Wittman (and got to meet him!). He was an FBI agent in the Art Crimes unit, and talked about a case where he was called to a Philadelphia museum where it turned out an employee had been stealing priceless artifacts. Then a few months later I picked up Fundraising the Dead (museum + cozy= so there!) and I read in the front that the author actually worked at the Philadelphia museum at the time and that was her inspiration for the book. I thought it was super cool
Aha, it was you!! LOL, thanks for the clarification. I've slept both since you told me, and since I read Fundraising the Dead.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #34
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Thanks! That is really neat. Y'all are getting me interested in this book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel
Umm.. last question first. Try Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series for cozies with romance. They're usually categorized romance, but I find them more cozy (though without murders) and I do enjoy them, though I don't enjoy most straight romance books.
I'll check that out, thanks. I don't usually get straight romance books, but sometimes I like a little bit of love? Haha. I'm not really sure how to explain it. It's kind of like a TV show always gets a LITTLE more interesting when two of the characters have sparks.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #35
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Teadonkey, also for sparks, I like Jennie Bentley's DIY series. The relationship between Avery and Derek is cool, and keeps developing with each book.
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #36
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I've been reading the DIY series. ;D I haven't bought the most recent one, yet, though! It's on my buy-super-soon list. I'm working my way through some Sherlock Holmes first, and then maybe another free book before I let myself spend the money. And I quite like Derek and Avery - they remind me of my boyfriend and I in some ways.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #37
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I bought the first in new series: Murder Past Due - anyone read it yet?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #38
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Yep! Enjoyed it tremendously, have fun!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 PM   #39
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
LOL, Donna;
The best definition I ever found is here: http://cozy-mystery.com/Definition-o...y-Mystery.html
Thanks phenom! I reckon the closest I have come is a bunch of "The Cat Who..." books by Lilian Jackson Braun that I read in the 90's. Although her mystery solver was a male.

Enjoyed them quite a bit.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #40
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Thanks phenom! I reckon the closest I have come is a bunch of "The Cat Who..." books by Lilian Jackson Braun that I read in the 90's. Although her mystery solver was a male.

Enjoyed them quite a bit.
Yes, those are definitely cozies, and it's been brought to my attention that "Donna" is not a suitable nickname for you . My apologies.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #41
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
My first ever cozy mystery -

Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder by Sara Rosssett

It's purchased, deDRM'ed, in my Calibre library, and on my Kindle ready for action. I plan to start reading it tonight or tomorrow.

My Kindle now has a 'Cozy Mystery' collection.
That's dangerous, darling! I began in that way and, now, I've to split it because it's very long
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #42
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, I liked it a lot. I'm looking forward the next one.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #43
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Perhaps, if you want to try cozy, you can use this thread
Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #44
lyric39
lyric39
lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: elonex 621eb
Quote:
I'm listening to Bookplate Special, the second Lorna Barrett "Booktown" mystery, on audio at present. I had mixed feelings about the first one, and so far that continues. Wendy-the-Sheriff has to be (one of) the most horrible law enforcement characters I've run across - including Melvin Yoder in Tamar Myers' "Pennsylvania Dutch" series!

I've all-but-given-up-on Mary Daheim's "Bed & Breakfast" series, which I used to like a lot; they're set in my neighborhood!

Some other series that still hold my interest:

Alice Kimberly's "Haunted Bookshop" (R. I. shop owner and ghost of P.I. with romantic angle)

Emilie Richards' "Ministry is Murder" (wife of Unitarian minister in Ohio as sleuth)

Blaize Clement's "Pet Sitter" (former cop, now pet sitter, near Sarasota, Florida)

Aimee Thurlo's "Sister Agatha" (nun in New Mexico convent)
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I'm reading Larna Barrett's "Bookmarked to Death" Really enjoying it so far Chapter and Hearse was pretty good too.
Keep em coming
Thank you
lyric39
lyric39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #45
lyric39
lyric39
lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: elonex 621eb
Hamish Macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
I am having so much trouble finding the second Hammish MacBeth book. Where do you find yours?

Also - I like Jennie Bentley's Do-It-Yourself series. The fourth book just came out, can't wait to read it.
Re Hamish Macbeth I just ran a google search till I found it so sorry biut I can't remember the site I got it from. Just ask mr Google.
lol
Lyric39
lyric39 is offline   Reply With Quote