Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #31
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Please let me choose an e-reader based on what I see, rather than what others report.
OK, please pop your eye-balls in the post to me and I'll "see" what I can do. In the meantime, I suggest you do not read the following because it is only my opinion.

Many people, including me, find that fonts are "washed out", "skinny", "pale" on the Glo by default. You can adjust the weight of built-in fonts on the device to make them more readable, but for side-loaded fonts you have to resort to using a font editor on your PC to increase the weight first. This seems to be a common complaint, and is discussed at length here, including links to downloaded fonts people have adjusted to increase the weight. I personally really like Charis SIL, with increased weight.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Someone else may choose differently. Don't take it personally if I don't like the Kobo. It's no reflection on you. Choosing an e-reader is like choosing a race horse. We all have different preferences no matter what the racing form tells us.
Bet the leading apprentice jockey to place works for me in North America.

As for the preferences, I tend to be obsessed with facts. I don't really care if you like or dislike the Kobo. What I am not impressed by is a claim that an eInk based device using the same eInk display as many other ereaders does not show ghosting despite even the manufacturer's admission that ghosting is a fact of life for their current products.

To quote Thomas Huxley: "The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful theory by an ugly fact."

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
So you're saying the Kobo's so sub-optimal greyscale conversion / it's better to upload covers / images already converted to greyscale my Calibre?
Hmmm... suboptimal? Quite likely. It takes quite a few CPU cycles to dither the image. Since I seldom spend much time looking at the cover images, it doesn't bother me. On a few occasions, I have taken colour illustrations in a book and converted them to what I consider to be a better format.

As for Calibre's conversion, I've never used it so not sure as to whether it dithers images or if it dithers them, what algorithm it uses for the dithering. Gives me something to play with this weekend.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #34
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
... frankly, I don't care about how others view something. I'll be the one looking at my e-reader, so I want to choose the reader that best suits 'me.' If I see ghosting, I don't want to buy that e-reader. If I see that the contrast needs to be fiddled with, I don't want to buy that e-reader. Please let me choose an e-reader based on what I see, rather than what others report.
Ok, now that we've established that you don't like the Kobo, that you won't buy one, and that you'll stick with Sony, I assume that we can draw this conversation to a close? No need to continue the debate if you've made up your mind. We'll see you over on the Sony forum where I see there are lots of people complaining that their Sony's have problems with wi-fi, battery life, loading books, ghosting, etc.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
SmittyBit
SmittyBit began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi Junkie View Post
Manual white balance, reviewers should really try to use it.
I'm unsure what you mean by that phrase?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Okay thanks

Not sure how we can alter that on our own devices though, so you're saying that the OP could have spoken of this in his intro post?
You alter it on the camera or in post processing.
He is confused because you jumped right into speaking without telling anyone what you were even talking about.

Photographers get it, but most other may not. Try and make sure that people know what it is you're trying to say, especially if the post is designed to impugn others.

Last edited by SmittyBit; 01-12-2013 at 06:56 PM.
SmittyBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyBit View Post
He is confused because you jumped right into speaking without telling anyone what you were even talking about.

Photographers get it, but most other may not. Try and make sure that people know what it is you're trying to say, especially if the post is designed to impugn others.
I impugned no-one. I just clarified what had been said!!! Also, I quoted what I was referring to, so just what is the problem here?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #37
SmittyBit

@JusMee

Don't get all upset, I'm just pointing out to you that - clarifying or not - If you're going to make a point about how somebody is doing something, make sure your point is getting across to everyone.

Also, what I meant by impugn was not an attack on you, it's just referencing the criticism of photographers lack of proper white balance.

I'm sorry you took the comment in a bad way, the way I wrote might be giving of a rude tone, but rudeness is not what I intended.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
To quote Thomas Huxley: "The great tragedy of science, the slaying of a beautiful theory by an ugly fact."Regards,
David
I never let a 'fact' get in the way of what I experience. Printed statements are fine... but only if you live in a book. Experience differs for each person. That's why there are so many different brands of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Ok, now that we've established that you don't like the Kobo, that you won't buy one, and that you'll stick with Sony,
Unless I win a Kobo in the Winter Give-away.
Then I'll need to come here and learn what has to be done to it to make it readable. From what I see, between adjusting contrasts, adding side-loaded fonts, editing fonts in an external program, editing jpgs in an external program, etc., etc., etc., there will be lots to do!

Quote:
I assume that we can draw this conversation to a close? No need to continue the debate if you've made up your mind.
Debate? I thought this was a discussion. My bad... I really wasn't aware that there was to be a 'winner' and a 'loser.' I'll have to go back and check the guidelines.

Quote:
We'll see you over on the Sony forum where I see there are lots of people complaining that their Sony's have problems with wi-fi, battery life, loading books, ghosting, etc.
Probably not. My Sony doesn't have wi-fi. I have no need of it. I get two weeks worth of daily reading from the battery which is enough for me, right now there are 452 books loaded in the main memory, and there's no ghosting that I can see. No need to check into that forum.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #39
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@JusMee

Don't get all upset, I'm just pointing out to you that - clarifying or not - If you're going to make a point about how somebody is doing something, make sure your point is getting across to everyone.

Also, what I meant by impugn was not an attack on you, it's just referencing the criticism of photographers lack of proper white balance.

I'm sorry you took the comment in a bad way, the way I wrote might be giving of a rude tone, but rudeness is not what I intended.
OK, but I wasn't the one who criticised the "photographers lack of proper white balance" - you were confused about that.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #40
SmittyBit

@Jusmee

I can't find the post that may have started that, but it's been a long day and likely I'm just missing it. I really don't want to offend anyone; impugn is a pretty dark toned word, another likely would have been better.

I do apologize for any offense though.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #41
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
@Jusmee

I can't find the post that may have started that, but it's been a long day and likely I'm just missing it. I really don't want to offend anyone; impugn is a pretty dark toned word, another likely would have been better.

I do apologize for any offense though.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #42
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I was a film photographer and never heard white balance until much later when I started shooting color video and later digital cameras. You are missing the fun of trying to correct color balance with color correction filters or having to make sure every florescent light in a room were same brand and type.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #43
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Unnecessarily? If there is something that I don't care to see when I'm reading, I wouldn't call it hung up. I simply would choose a reader that didn't do that.
Sorry, I didn't realize you wouldn't have time to read the rest of my post.
I won't waste any more of your precious time.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #44
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
I sometimes wonder if people have too high an expectation of an e-reader.

My kobo mini is 'slow' on page turns compared to an iPad or tablet, has
lowish contrast ratio (complaints from somebody who reads on an iPad
all the time), but imo is no worse than my sister's K2.
Compared to some cheap paperbacks I have read or a daily newspaper
it is perfectly acceptable.
i got it to read books and so long as it is legible I can live with a less than 1
second page turn (comparable to physical media) and a contrast ratio better
than most paperbacks or newspapers.
If I wanted high performance, pretty pictures and brightness, I would have
paid a lot more and bought a tablet.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote